Author Topic: The 2009 Albums Thread  (Read 195910 times)

azaghal1981

Re: The 2009 Albums Thread
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2008, 08:29:00 am »
I think the new SY album will be on Matador.

Their deal with Universal is finally over.
احمد

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2008, 09:19:00 am »
Radiohead are also supposedly in the studio working on new material for a likely 2009 release, but could be '08 if In Rainbows is anything to go by.
<sig>

azaghal1981

احمد

sonickteam2

« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2008, 06:42:00 pm »
Originally posted by sweetcell:
  Radiohead are also supposedly in the studio working on new material for a likely 2009 release, but could be '08 if In Rainbows is anything to go by.
or 2011 if the rest of their career is anything to go by.

IMAmoose24

• 4 Stars out of 5
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2008, 11:25:00 am »
May I ask where you heard this?

thirsty moore

« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2008, 11:29:00 am »
Sonic Nurse wasn't very exciting.  It sounded like Murray Street lite.  I hope they can add some more edge to this one.

Originally posted by azaghal1981:
  I think the new SY album will be on Matador.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2008, 11:59:00 am »
Originally posted by IMAmoose24:
 May I ask where you heard this?
a few places, for example:

Radiohead to return to studio after tour
 Posted on September 11th, 2008.

In a year where Radiohead spent most of the time touring, news about an upcoming Radiohead album would be too good to be true. Then again, here??s some good news. Radiohead are determined to work on album #8 after the tour.

Radiohead have announced exclusively to 6 Music that they??re in the process of writing a new album. After losing to Elbow for the Mercury Music Prize on Tuesday night (9 September) they told 6 Music they??d taken time out of playing live to put new tracks down and would be heading to the studio in the near future.

Colin Greenwood said they??d be heading back into the studio when they??d completed their current world tour: ??We??ve finished the main bulk of it and we??re off to Japan in a couple of weeks to finish it off.?

And fully enthused about writing new stuff, Ed O??Brien chimed in: ??We??re still talking about doing some stuff and we??re really excited about it. First we came off tour to do some writing and we wanted to just carry on doing it because it was so brilliant.?
Originally posted by very sonick:

or 2011 if the rest of their career is anything to go by. [/b]
heh, good point   :)
<sig>

azaghal1981

« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2008, 07:11:00 pm »
The AC blog reviews are starting to trickle in:

"As the internet has revealed, I had the honor and distinct privilege to hear the latest Animal Collective album, Merriweather Post Pavilion.

You annoy-nymous posters out there will perhaps notice that I didn't say I had the album, only that I heard to it, right? Even if I did have it, the only way I have attained such a privilege is by not pretending it's my intellectual property to give away to strangers. So please stop asking.

But here's what I scratched out on that initial listen:

* a text message sent to my friend during the opening moments: "Boomy, shimmering, trippy."

* the dynamic frequencies heard to jarring and enervating effect on Strawberry Jam are now warm and immersive

*MPP is in the direction hinted at by the Pantha du Prince remix of "Peacebone," Water Curses's "Street Flash," Person Pitch, but come to fruition.

*Whereas PP had a homemade, lo-fi 4-track feel, this is given the proper full-range boom-tick

*it's going to sound sick booming out of a jeep

*flowing, ever-changing, there's a liquidity to the entire album, lots of water samples (no wonder it's being debuted at "The River Room")

*if I didn't know better, I would think the band just discovered Ecstasy, there's that telltale 'flash' to it

*have they been hanging out in Berlin techno clubs on tour?

*"Am I really all the things that are outside of me?"

* it's a continuum of the band's previous obsessions: Beach Boys, Terry Riley, Missa Luba, Kaito, Sagittarius, GAS, but in its most resplendent and assured manifestation to date

*to be filed alongside Screamadelica, Loveless"

""Animal Collective: "Merriweather Post Pavilion"

2008-10-22 10:56:50
 Judging my the arrival on yesterday??s blog of a bunch of fans asking me to leak ??Merriweather Post Pavilion?, there??s a fair bit of anticipation for this new Animal Collective album that I got hold of on Monday. Unfortunately, folks, I??m not going to leak this, or any other album, because: a) I like to play nice; b) I??d get sacked if I did leak it (the CD is watermarked with my name, so it??d be traceable if I uploaded it); and c) I??m much too technically incompetent to do that, in any case. Hope that??s clear.

What I can do is be a tease and tell you how great this, maybe the ninth, Animal Collective album is. It??s interesting to see all the excitement surrounding ??Merriweather Post Pavilion?, since there seemed to be something of a small backlash against the band following last year??s ??Strawberry Jam?; too pop and accessible, seemed to be a consensus, though to me it seemed to be a logical step on from ??Feels? (if not quite as good).

Already, the buzz around this one is that it??s more in the vein of Panda Bear??s solo ??Person Pitch? album from 2006 ?? closer in spirit to dance music, I suppose. That turns out to be partially true: there??s definitely a hint of minimalist techno ?? the Kompakt label especially, maybe ?? pulsing through the background of some of these songs. The fantastic ??Summertime Clothes? even starts with something similar to one of those electronic Glitter Band beats that became hip as Schaffel a few years ago.There are some ferocious, quaking jeep bass frequencies throughout, too, that nail down the flighty top end of the AC sound with the muscle of hip hop.

And there??s an extraordinary passage in the closing ??Brothersport? that??s as close to pure techno as the band have ever come, faintly resembling a maximalist take on Underground Resistance (or so it seemed on the bus this morning. Bear with me, these are early thoughts).

But unlike ??Person Pitch?, these 11 songs are generally too complex and tricksy to rest merely on reverberant loops. It??s traditional to compare Animal Collective to The Beach Boys, thanks to those gaseous harmonies constructed by Avey Tare and Panda Bear. On ??Merriweather?, they??ve become more and more elaborate, with intricate melodies layered on top of another to create an ecstatic whole. If there??s a Beach Boys analogue to the gorgeous love song, ??Bluish?, for instance, it??d be one of those compacted symphonies from ??Pet Sounds? like ??Waiting For The Day?.

It??s easy to throw those Beach Boys comparisons at anything with multiplied falsettos, but here, more than ever, it seems justified. There??s a sense of adventure and wonder at the heart of Animal Collective??s music. I??ve written before about how I see them as sort of successors to Mercury Rev and Flaming Lips; as makers of a folksy American pop music with a transformative spirit and an experimental imperative.

Listening to ??Merriweather? for maybe the fourth or fifth time right now, I can??t help thinking of Mercury Rev??s latest disappointment, ??Snowflake Midnight?, and how they tried to overhaul their sound with electronica; referencing the avant-garde and ending up sounding like a twee Chemical Brothers, of all things. No such problem for Animal Collective. They??ve managed to expand their trademark sound to include triumphal organ flurries, psychedelic arpeggios on ??My Girls? and ??Daily Routine? that, underneath the beguiling tunes, recall Terry Riley circa ??A Rainbow In Curved Air?.

And going back to that idea of an AC ??trademark sound?, it strikes me that while ??Merriweather? is instantly recognisable as their work, it also has an elevated gracefulness. Amniotic sloshing still underpins many of these tracks, but the kindergarten shrillness of old seems to have been phased out, so that the general mood is one of blissed euphoria, if that makes sense. An ecstatic sound, in more than one way.

Something about the opening ??In The Flowers?, the way it keeps peaking and has the clattering feel of a drum parade at times, reminded me of ??Turn Into Something? this morning, so I played the two songs back to back. The contrast was pretty surprising, actually: the older song, in comparison, felt raw, rowdy, relatively simplistic. That??s not to say ??In The Flowers? is over-polished and sober ?? far from it. One of the many pleasures of ??Merriweather Post Pavilion? is the sustained excitement, even in the more reflective passages like "No More Runnin", before the fireworks-packed climax of ??Brothersport?.

But I can??t help feel there??s a lot more to learn about this one. Leave it with me, and I??ll try and write more in a week or so once I??ve lived with it properly."

Some bold ass statements in those two reviews there.
احمد

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2008, 04:45:00 pm »
Well I was hoping for a Franz Ferdinand in 08, but Jan 09 will suit

http://www.thetripwire.com/news/2008/11/5/franz-ferdinand-unveil-album-artork-and-new-single

Van Hunt's third album which i was looking forward in 08 got shelved by his record company  :(
T.Rex

azaghal1981

« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2008, 12:15:00 pm »
احمد

sonickteam2

« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2008, 01:44:00 pm »
Originally posted by azaghal1981:
  This is absolutely hilarious. And awesome.
with the amount of weed Wu-Tang smoke on a daily basis, is anything they do surprising anymore?

azaghal1981

« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2008, 02:52:00 pm »
Not really.

Good point. And given how psychedelic their last album was, I guess this isn't too much of a stretch.

And in other 2009 hip-hop album news:

Lupe Fiasco's last will apparently stretch across three discs
احمد

azaghal1981

« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2008, 02:46:00 pm »
First it was Wu-Tang and Gang Gang Dance and now  this? My music world is collapsing in on itself.

What next? Jay-Z and Kraftwerk (whoa that'd be sick)?
احمد

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2008, 05:19:00 pm »
The Empyrean is my new record and will be released worldwide via Record Collection on January 20th 2009. It was recorded on and off between December 2006 and March 2008. It is a concept record that tells a single story both musically and lyrically. The story takes place within one person, and there are two characters. It contains a version of Tim Buckley's, 'Song To The Siren' and the rest of the songs are written by me. My friend Josh plays on it, as does Flea. It also features Sonus Quartet, Johnny Marr and The New Dimension Singers. I'm really happy with it and I've listened to it a lot for the psychedelic experience it provides. It should be played as loud as possible and it is suited to dark living rooms late at night.

- John Frusciante, November 3rd, 2008

JohnFrusciante.com
 RecordCollectionmusic.com
<sig>

dave24

« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2008, 05:40:00 pm »
At the beginning of this year Dr Pepper released a statement that if Guns n Roses released its new album during the 2008 calendar year, they would give every American a free can of Dr Pepper.  They've already released the information about how to claim your coupon for a free Dr Pepper on their website during the first 24-48 hours of the release of Chinese Democracy, if in fact it is released this year.