Author Topic: The 2009 Albums Thread  (Read 195911 times)

saintangelsin

Re: The 2009 Albums Thread
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2008, 07:49:00 pm »
I'm looking forward to a few things...

1. Depeche Mode - I'm seriously looking forward to this one. Playing the Angel was fantastic, which makes me wonder if they're picking up steam again. The album is coming out this spring followed by a world tour. (Hey Seth!!! Book this at Merriweather please!)

2. She Wants Revenge - Supposedly they are going to have some new material dropping in 2009, which is great. I enjoy my "mediocre" goth indie rock stuff. (I put "mediocre" like that because while I don't think they're bad, loads of people do.)

3. AFI - While I miss the old days and their last album was pretty disappointing, I still want to hear what new shit they have to offer.

4. Massive Attack - So this one was suppose to be out this year, but it's not. I really hope it's coming out soon.

5. Ryan Adams - Oh you know he'll release something in 2009.

6. Amy Winehouse - She's working on new material. Rumor is Fall of 2009 and that what she's got so far is supposedly good.

7. Lily Allen - I am curious to see how she does with this one. Will the Sophmore slup hit her or not, we'll just have to wait to find out.

8. U2- They had to delay their new one until the spring or summer...uh something like that. Though the last album wasn't all that I had hoped for, I'm thinking they'll do something cool this time around. Either way, I'll probably get it because I own everything else by them and I'll probably see them live, because I've yet been able to do that.

azaghal1981

« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2008, 08:20:00 pm »
I'd love to hear a few things that I'm starting to think will never see the light of day. New Circulatory System and My Bloody Valentine to be more specific.

Circulatory System have been playing a ton of new material live for the last 3-4 years; they need to fucking release it on disc already!
احمد

azaghal1981

« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2008, 12:04:00 pm »
احمد

azaghal1981

« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2008, 02:28:00 am »
"Brothersport" from the new Animal Collective album curtesy of Grizzly Bear's blog

And it cements itself as the happiest sounding song ever with this studio version.
احمد

« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2008, 11:12:00 am »
Nov 20, 2008 (WENN via COMTEX) -- NEIL YOUNG is set to pay back soul man BOOKER
 T. JONES for backing him on his ARE YOU PASSIONATE album - by signing up to play
 guitar on the GREEN ONIONS hitmaker's first solo release in 20 years.

Jones and his Booker T & The MGs bandmates acted as Young's backing group on the
 acclaimed 2002 album, and now the rocker is returning the favour.

He'll join The Drive-By Truckers, who will back Jones on his new
 all-instrumental album, which will hit stores early in 2009.

azaghal1981

« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2008, 10:42:00 am »
I don't feel like digging for the 2008 albums thread so I'll post this here.

This just came out and I'm pretty much in love with it right now:
 "Everything's coming to a end with the swansong from Iowa City's Raccoo-oo-oon. Following up last years critically acclaimed Behold Secret Kingdom (RTB/Not
 Not Fun), the final album takes everything up a notch and shows a band taking their last breath and laying down the last bricks in their fairly short history.

The album blends together all different parts of Raccoo-oo-oons discography, taking cues from the utter freeform punk madness of The Cave Of Spirits Forever
 (Time Lag), building something completely new of the era that was Behold Secret Kingdom and yet delivering echoes of the eclectic Mythos Folkways recordings.
 The album reeks of desperation and a feeling of going down with nothing to loose at all. A fucked up future-prog mayhem that is all over the place and
 at no known place at all at the same time.

Genuinely uncomfortable, desperate and just beautiful, this album will surely be remembered as the most important recording that Racco-oo-oon ever put
 to tape. Minds are melting, new grounds are covered and things will never be the same.

A playtime of close to 75 minutes over 7 tracks.  Mastered by Pete Swanson.  Mini gatefoldsleeve with black felt.  2xLP version on Not Not Fun.  The band
 members are now playing in acts such as Wet Hair, Trash Dog and Pukers."
احمد

MonkeyPants

« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2008, 11:03:00 am »
So far, 2009 is shaping up to be so much better than 08.  I'm looking forward to the new Yeah Yeah Yeahs.  Heard the other night that QOTSA will be putting out a new one, and I'm crossing my fingers for a long-delayed-but-always-promised follow-up to 2003's Meadowlands by the Wrens.
PANTS

walkonby

« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2008, 02:10:00 pm »
i predict that guns and roses will get back together with original line-up, even the drugged out one, and re-release chinese d. in 2009.  and with every purchase you get a free, corn row kit.

azaghal1981

« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2008, 04:17:00 pm »
I guess the valves on the leaks are finally being tightened.

By this time last year, I had already grown tired of quite a few '08 albums. I've only heard one '09 album so far (Josh Tillman of Fleet Foxes).
احمد

azaghal1981

« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2008, 06:43:00 pm »
Came across this last week:

Dent May - The Good Feeling Music Of Dent May And His Magnificent Ukulele (2009, Paw Tracks)

Sounds like what Jens Lekman would if he were to multi-track his voice to make it sound like he's in a barbershop quartet with three of himself. His lyrics are also similarly playful and endearing.

Also around:
 a Ben Kweller EP and a Napalm Death (didn't even know they were still around) album for anyone into those sorts of things.
احمد

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2008, 08:29:49 pm »
Ditto on what MyraEllen said about the new QOTSA record.

Also hoping for:

-Broadcast's follow-up to Tender Buttons
-Juan Maclean's "The Future Will Come"
-Massive Attack's follow-up to 100th Window
-PJ Harvey and John Parish's follow-up to Dance Hall at Louse Point
-Kelis' new one. (She's been working with Diplo)
-Ditto on the new Yeah Yeah Yeahs.
-Hopefully some new Arcade Fire music will come in 2009. *crosses fingers*
Woof.

azaghal1981

« Reply #71 on: December 02, 2008, 09:28:35 pm »
A new Broadcast album is way overdue.

Also second Massive Attack and PJ.
احمد

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2008, 12:29:31 am »
another one to look forward to: according to their website, Rinôçérôse will be releasing a new album on March 2nd 2009.  european tour to follow in april'09, hopefully north america after that.  hey seeeeeeth...
<sig>

Samantha

« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2008, 12:43:38 am »
Shall we place bets on the Autolux album?

bull930

« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2008, 01:18:55 am »
I want to see if Shirley Manson comes out with something. Also I can't wait for Peaches.