Author Topic: Justice bites off more than it can chew, swallows crow i  (Read 6287 times)

killsaly

Re: Justice bites off more than it can chew, swallows crow i
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2008, 05:53:00 pm »
Originally posted by TheREALHunter:
  They're $30 for the Baltimore show on sale now at ticketmaster.com even though they're not listed on the Sonar site or yet mentioned on the myspace music tour page (but WAS mentioned on the FAQ of this board, thanks!)
i got mine earlier.  too bad the dc show is the same night as mstrkrft, i would much rather see justice at 930.  mstrkft at ottobar shoudl be interesting...

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2008, 06:01:00 pm »
"blog house" - funny!  i haven't even heard of any of the acts mentioned in the last paragraph below.  might have to look them up.  thoughts?

Justice and SMD live shows are rock showsâ??more suitable for headbanging than ass-shaking. In true Norman Cook fashion (his best-of was called Why Try Harder, after all), the two duos pulled off the neat trick of releasing records with one or two excellent singles and then mailed in the next half-hour, leading to live experiences where you wait for that moment when a voice tells you what you're listening to ("It's the Beat") or what to do ("D.A.N.C.E."). What could be more rock than ugly guys using massive lighting rigs to distract the audience? (Just ask Daft Punk.)

As someone who loves dance music, this all leaves me more than a tad horrified. Watching Justice and other fine French purveyors of blog house busy themselves re-editing Rage Against the Machine tracks, Germany's Alter Ego didn't bother complaining. Instead, they took the aesthetic to its logically ridiculous conclusion with Why Not?!, which injected steroids into Justice's already-HGH'd-out template. (Sample titles: "Fuckingham Palace," "Chicken Shag.") Like the term "blog house," Alter Ego are not long for this world, but they're much more fun to listen to. More hooks, too.

Anyone paying attention, though, found less publicized but equally interesting dance-music revivals in 2007. The singular vision of Johnny Jewel, and the efforts (or distinct lack thereof) of three separate death-disco divas (Glass Candy's Ida No, Chromatics' Ruth Radelet, Farah's Farah) gave the Italians Do It Better label instant cred with Pitchfork types. Balearic glided on waves of soothing beats to prominence via groups like Studio, A Mountain of One, and re-edit gurus Beyond the Wizard's Sleeve. And increasingly-less-mysterious dubstep producer Burial (and Pinch, and Shackleton) once again reminded listeners that it's not always just a steady kick drum that can move a crowd: Paranoid, syncopated elegies for angels work just fine as well."
from the village voice
<sig>

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2008, 06:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by killsaly:

Originally posted by TheREALHunter:
  They're $30 for the Baltimore show on sale now at ticketmaster.com even though they're not listed on the Sonar site or yet mentioned on the myspace music tour page (but WAS mentioned on the FAQ of this board, thanks!)
i got mine earlier.  too bad the dc show is the same night as mstrkrft, i would much rather see justice at 930.  mstrkft at ottobar shoudl be interesting... [/b]
Im still incredibly split about the MSTRKRFT show because I thoguht to myself "How often can I see Justice?" but then I heard MSTRKRFT's new years set and was incredibly blown away about their mixing skills.... available for download here:

MSTRKRFT TRIPLE J NEW YEARS EVER
‼‼?‼‼

BookerT

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2008, 06:26:00 pm »
rebuttal over at idolator

Originally posted by sweetcell:
  "blog house" - funny!  i haven't even heard of anoy of the acts mentioned in the last paragraph below.  might have to look them up.  thoughts?

Justice and SMD live shows are rock showsâ??more suitable for headbanging than ass-shaking. In true Norman Cook fashion (his best-of was called Why Try Harder, after all), the two duos pulled off the neat trick of releasing records with one or two excellent singles and then mailed in the next half-hour, leading to live experiences where you wait for that moment when a voice tells you what you're listening to ("It's the Beat") or what to do ("D.A.N.C.E."). What could be more rock than ugly guys using massive lighting rigs to distract the audience? (Just ask Daft Punk.)

As someone who loves dance music, this all leaves me more than a tad horrified. Watching Justice and other fine French purveyors of blog house busy themselves re-editing Rage Against the Machine tracks, Germany's Alter Ego didn't bother complaining. Instead, they took the aesthetic to its logically ridiculous conclusion with Why Not?!, which injected steroids into Justice's already-HGH'd-out template. (Sample titles: "Fuckingham Palace," "Chicken Shag.") Like the term "blog house," Alter Ego are not long for this world, but they're much more fun to listen to. More hooks, too.

Anyone paying attention, though, found less publicized but equally interesting dance-music revivals in 2007. The singular vision of Johnny Jewel, and the efforts (or distinct lack thereof) of three separate death-disco divas (Glass Candy's Ida No, Chromatics' Ruth Radelet, Farah's Farah) gave the Italians Do It Better label instant cred with Pitchfork types. Balearic glided on waves of soothing beats to prominence via groups like Studio, A Mountain of One, and re-edit gurus Beyond the Wizard's Sleeve. And increasingly-less-mysterious dubstep producer Burial (and Pinch, and Shackleton) once again reminded listeners that it's not always just a steady kick drum that can move a crowd: Paranoid, syncopated elegies for angels work just fine as well."
from the village voice [/b]

azaghal1981

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2008, 07:55:00 pm »
Studio are well worth checking out if you haven't heard of them. Chromatics hype was everywhere last; it was hard to avoid. I'm very surprised you haven't
 heard of Burial, Shackleton or Pinch either.

Originally posted by sweetcell:
  "blog house" - funny!  i haven't even heard of any of the acts mentioned in the last paragraph below.  might have to look them up.  thoughts?

from the village voice [/b]
احمد

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2008, 08:00:00 pm »
a bunch of those are available on eMusic...
T.Rex

killsaly

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2008, 12:37:00 am »
Originally posted by DeathFromAbove1979:
  split about the MSTRKRFT show because I thoguht to myself "How often can I see Justice?" but then I heard MSTRKRFT's new years set and was incredibly blown away about their mixing skills.... available for download here:
 MSTRKRFT TRIPLE J NEW YEARS EVER
Thats the same thoughts I had.  Thanks for the link to that mix, I am getting it now.

earlx

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2008, 10:01:00 am »
Chromatics hype was everywhere last; it was hard to avoid.
I saw The Chromatics at the Khyber Pass in Philly in the Fall of 2005.  There were three people in the audience.  I figured that would be the last we'd ever hear of them.

azaghal1981

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2008, 10:14:00 am »
"last;" = "last year;"

oops
احمد

jd930

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2008, 10:41:00 am »
Does anyone have any idea who will be on the bill with Justice at the club?  It seems that they have a number of different people at various dates on the tour.

TheREALHunter

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2008, 10:45:00 am »
Originally posted by jd930:
  Does anyone have any idea who will be on the bill with Justice at the club?  It seems that they have a number of different people at various dates on the tour.
According to the Myspace Music Tour page it's Busy P and Fancy opening.

TripleDnFF

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2008, 10:46:00 am »
Busy P and Fancy will be opening for Justice.

jd930

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2008, 10:50:00 am »
Thanks.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2008, 11:08:00 am »
This tour needs a real headliner. I'm suggesting DATAROCK.
(_|_)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2008, 11:28:00 am »
Some how I doubt this Fancy is the 70's Trash Glam band fronted by a Penthouse Pet.  That Fancy reminds me a lot of the Bellrays....
T.Rex