Author Topic: So I saw Leonard Cohen  (Read 34377 times)

MonkeyPants

Re: So I saw Leonard Cohen
« Reply #90 on: May 12, 2009, 11:53:21 am »
You gotta be kidding!  The *only* bad song of the night was Boogie Street and it wasn't sung by Cohen!

3.Ain't no Cure For Love (the only "bad" song of the night IMO.)

Agreed.
PANTS

bellenseb

« Reply #91 on: May 12, 2009, 12:13:58 pm »
Great show, couldn't believe his stamina! The musicians really added to the show, I agree. I especially liked the sisters singing "If It Be Your Will"...

Merriweather was pretty nice, especially under the pavilion. I could barely look at the lawn walking for food ($9 slice of pizza!) during intermission, it looked like a refugee camp up there...

« Reply #92 on: May 12, 2009, 12:26:47 pm »
3x20=60

Are you saying that 60 year olds don´t know how to talk?

My one gripe that isn't really a gripe...I'm only 20 and the average age of the audience had to have at least been somewhere around 45. I was surrounded by people 3 times my age so I didn't really have anyone to talk to the whole time.

runwhiteyrun06

« Reply #93 on: May 12, 2009, 12:49:01 pm »
No, but the 60 year olds around me were with their spouses and seemed to have no interest in talking to a 20 year old. It's a very small gripe though, I just studied for finals instead anyway while waiting for the show to start.

So was anyone on the lawn, how brutal was it?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 12:54:18 pm by runwhiteyrun06 »

nkotb

« Reply #94 on: May 12, 2009, 03:22:35 pm »
Anyone making the trip to Philly tonight?

saintangelsin

« Reply #95 on: May 13, 2009, 01:12:31 am »
I just want to say that I liked "Boogie Street." it sounded pretty cool. And as for "Ain't No Cure For Love" I was quite sad that I missed out on that one. I'm also still kicking myself for missing out on "Dance me to the End of Love".

No, but the 60 year olds around me were with their spouses and seemed to have no interest in talking to a 20 year old. It's a very small gripe though, I just studied for finals instead anyway while waiting for the show to start.

So was anyone on the lawn, how brutal was it?

I had a feeling that you were studying for finals lol. (What major at UMD are you btw?) I even said to my mom that I should have brought along with me something to read during the intermission only because I felt guilty for not doing much work on Monday.

As for talking to people, you should've given it a shot. I talked to a few different older couples. Granted, my mom is 56 so I guess I'm cool with people like that. But one of the couples I talked to told me about the time they saw Leonard back in the 1980s in some small club.

I thought the mix of ages at the show was pretty refreshing. I like being one of the youngest in the crowd (I'm 23) whereas when I go to Depeche Mode in July, I probably won't be the youngest fan there.

bellenseb

« Reply #96 on: May 13, 2009, 09:18:54 am »
There were more than a few babies in my section...don't see that too often in my usual show-going.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #97 on: May 13, 2009, 10:19:10 am »
In Philly, "Closing Time" and "Sisters of Mercy" were played but "Bird on a Wire" and "The Partisan" were not.
(_|_)

nkotb

« Reply #98 on: May 13, 2009, 10:25:33 am »
Actually, he did play "Bird on a Wire."  I saw a setlist without it, but that wasn't right.  If my sleep-deprived brain can recall, it was in the middle of the first set, maybe a song or two after "Ain't No Cure For Love."

Stunning show...all of the hype was definitely right now.  And the Kimmel Center's Academy of Music was a gorgeous venue...it sounded amazingly clear.

In Philly, "Closing Time" and "Sisters of Mercy" were played but "Bird on a Wire" and "The Partisan" were not.

bellenseb

« Reply #99 on: May 13, 2009, 10:35:52 am »
It's pretty remarkable how well he covered his catalog in these shows. About the only thing I'd have really liked to hear but didn't was "Hey, That's No Way To Say Goodbye"...

Vas Deferens

« Reply #100 on: May 13, 2009, 10:44:36 am »
He did that in some dates. I would have liked to hear "The Guests"..  :-\

He got SOOO into it on First We Take Manhattan (did anyone else notice?). He sang that part "But you see that line there moving through the station?" (!!!) Then he had a big smile on his face.

And what was the song where he mentioned Merriweather?...

It's pretty remarkable how well he covered his catalog in these shows. About the only thing I'd have really liked to hear but didn't was "Hey, That's No Way To Say Goodbye"...
(_|_)

runwhiteyrun06

« Reply #101 on: May 13, 2009, 11:22:40 am »
In Hallelujah he sang "I didn't come to the Merriweather just to fool you"

I have decided I must get the Live in London DVD.

That sucks he didn't play The Partisan in Philly, that was definitely one of my favorite songs of the night.

Samantha

« Reply #102 on: May 13, 2009, 02:39:53 pm »
I wish he could have just played every song he ever wrote.  We could camp out for however long it took.

So. Fucking. Amazing.

Fess up...who cried, and for which songs??

bellenseb

« Reply #103 on: May 13, 2009, 03:38:24 pm »
Who By Fire really got me, specially when they projected his giant silhouette on the backdrop. So Long Marianne too.

Samantha

« Reply #104 on: May 13, 2009, 04:01:38 pm »
Who By Fire really got me, specially when they projected his giant silhouette on the backdrop. So Long Marianne too.

SAME!