Author Topic: Live Nation's House of Blues in LA about to be shut dow  (Read 2693 times)

audreysuefix

Re: Live Nation's House of Blues in LA about to be shut dow
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2008, 06:51:00 pm »
Live Nation posts losses every quarter, because it's paying Madonna $150 mill and it keeps buying more venues.  Meaning, in other places they have to actually PAY for venues, instead of getting them on a silver platter by a government executive that's either the stupidest or most of the take.  Live Nation took in $4.7 BILLION last year, according to the Washington Post.  I doubt I.M.P. posts and financial reports, since it's not a traded stock.

audreysuefix

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2008, 06:52:00 pm »
Live Nation posts losses every quarter, because it's paying Madonna $150 mill and it keeps buying more venues.  Meaning, in other parts of the country they have to actually PAY for venues, instead of getting them on a silver platter by a government executive that's either the stupidest or the most on the take.  

Live Nation took in $4.7 BILLION last year, according to the Washington Post.  I doubt I.M.P. posts and financial reports, since it's not a traded stock.

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2008, 05:55:00 am »
I'm all for competition...bring it on...that's how we beat The Bayou, Nation, Nissan, and whatever else they've tried to do with their own money

But taxpayer subsidy to help them them because they've failed otherwise...that's just wrong...and REAL wrong when they're using my Mont Co tax money on me to do it

let's just assume I'm the biggest capitalist pig in the world...that doesn't change what's wrong with this

take me out of it and then have the discussion about no RFP, changing liquor laws to suit this deal, ignoring Zoning Board decisions, $8 mil of taxpayer money at the expense of public services, all cost overruns resulting in 100% deductions from rent...while the same company is making a deal in DC to pay full market rate rent (which I have no objection to)

if there's a monopoly, it's only because we beat them fair & square, with zero help from anyone (well, maybe a few friends who invested early on)

level playing field is all I ask...the only argument against that seems to come from people jealous about our success, or that would like to go to concerts down the street from where they live (can't blame them for that)

so...today's challenge...try & have the discussion about the merits of that deal without knocking us

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2008, 11:13:00 am »
Before it was going to be a HoB it was suppose to be another Birchmere, but of course without the big lawyers and dollars of a franchise company like Clear Channel.

I agree, there's nothing wrong with another large music venue, but when you bend the rules, and make it taxpayers footing the bill, that's just completely wrong.

It's the same way I felt when Verizon Center was asking for some crazy large amount of DC taxpayers money to refurnish the venue, only to give the City Council their own suite. I don't recall them being the ones footing the bill, why can't taxpayers have access to THEIR suite THEY paid for?

MindCage
 Mindless Faith
 Deep6 Productions
3MTA3