Author Topic: What Are You Listening To?  (Read 2097868 times)

Starsky

Re: What Are You Listening To?
« Reply #10380 on: April 20, 2022, 07:17:20 pm »

« Reply #10381 on: April 21, 2022, 04:46:24 pm »
Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #10382 on: April 22, 2022, 09:32:29 am »
Starting at 10am EST.

Six Degrees of Dolly Parton
On the air at 90.3 FM Seattle // worldwide at KEXP.ORG

Join KEXP for Six Degrees of Dolly Parton on Friday, April 22nd. From 7 AM-7 PM PT, DJs will be linking each song to the one they played before, beginning with, weaving in and out of, and ending with the music of the Queen of Country herself, Dolly Parton. We'll make connections through guest vocals, shared musicians, samples, and more, but songs are selected totally on the fly and without pre-planning. Let's celebrate the impact Dolly has made on music with live human-powered radio. It's Six Degrees of Dolly Parton, live on Friday April 22nd and on-demand after the broadcast.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #10383 on: April 22, 2022, 09:59:30 am »
In a Ze Records frame of mind...  Kid Creole and The Coconuts, Material, Was (Not Was), James White, etc

those Mutant Disco comps always a fun listen
T.Rex

« Reply #10384 on: April 25, 2022, 09:49:23 am »
this was a sweet find
New Order - 1981 Celebration (Live from Granada TV)
https://youtu.be/48E74Lun7kA

setlist:
Dreams Never End - 0:00
ICB - 3:15
Chosen Time - 8:31
Denial - 12:30
Ceremony - 18:00
Truth - 22:53

Hooky on lead vocals for Dreams (Pretty sure it's recorded that way, but didn't realize it until now)
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #10385 on: April 25, 2022, 10:01:40 am »
Myriam Gendron (opener for the GY!BEs)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #10386 on: April 27, 2022, 07:36:59 am »
Hoodoo Gurus - Electric Soup

mighty fine collection of singles

the companion b-sides release Gorilla Biscuit isn't to shabby either
T.Rex

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #10387 on: April 27, 2022, 07:37:57 am »
99% Invisible - its a small aisle after all

Starsky

« Reply #10388 on: April 30, 2022, 09:55:55 am »

I had this set as part of the Willie complete Atlantic sessions cd box and it came out as a stand alone for RSD this year on LP. It’s my lone pickup this RSD.

Side 4 pressing or mastering fault aside it’s a wonderful listen. If I had a time machine and I had to go back for a Willie show 1974 in Austin would be pretty good. Willie was 41 and it was now or never for his career….he had become a part of a new counterculture scene developing in Austin…growing his hair out..becoming the Willie we all know and love..moving back to Austin from conservative Nashville…outlaw country was just about to come into its own…he was slowly finding the building blocks for his band (Mickey Raphael on harmonica had just joined as a 22 year old) and about to turn into the road warrior he would be for the next 50 years.

If you had told RCA and Atlantic executives that in a few short years Willie would be on top of the world, selling millions upon millions, winning Grammys etc they wouldn’t have believed it. He had spent eight years on RCA - putting out at least 14 records- and by the end was probably selling less than 1000 copies of his albums.

This live recording shows him at the moment he is discovering an audience now exists willing to meet him on his terms. It must have been exhilarating given he had been at it since the 1950s!!! My guess is at the time of the recording Atlantic was contemplating a live follow up to Shotgun Willie (my favorite Willie LP and the real beginning of outlaw country even if nobody knew it) and Phases and Stages but probably just gave up on Willie when these records stiffed.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 10:15:07 am by Starsky »

Starsky

« Reply #10389 on: May 02, 2022, 05:54:30 pm »
Wilco - Being there cd 1

Cd 1 is so great…knowing a little more about what Tweedy was going through adds a certain dimension it didn’t have when I first heard it in 1996… I loved this record from the first

Yada

« Reply #10390 on: May 11, 2022, 10:57:55 am »
Did hutch stop listening to music?

Starsky

« Reply #10391 on: May 11, 2022, 12:51:39 pm »
I was in the hospital for five days last week….

This album is what I been played….the Beatles fourth album.

I have two copies- an original- and this one made in India…it’s a little beat up … rare not that anyone wants Indian pressings….

I been getting back into reading Tune In (signed copy) while playing this….

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #10392 on: May 11, 2022, 01:27:47 pm »
Hope you're feeling better, bro.
LVMH

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #10393 on: May 11, 2022, 01:33:40 pm »

This album is what I been played….the Beatles fourth album.

I have two copies- an original- and this one made in India…it’s a little beat up … rare not that anyone wants Indian pressings….

I been getting back into reading Tune In (signed copy) while playing this….

Very nice. I'm trying to hunt down a UK stereo pressing myself. Hope you're feeling better.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #10394 on: May 13, 2022, 03:21:57 pm »
Steve Conte - Bronx Cheer

A perfect Friday afternoon album from Steve Conte who has played with a who's who of NYC rockers, including his own bands Company Of Wolves, later day New York Dolls and currently Michael Monroe's band.  Also known for Anime soundtrack work..

Anyways, lots of noisy guitars and gritty vocals, perfect for end of the week or hanging on a Saturday night.  Andy Partridge enjoyed it, what more do you need to know.  Think hutch would dig this one, although not sure about this Starsky fellow

Easily passed does it rock in the car test

https://stevecontewcr.bandcamp.com/album/bronx-cheer
T.Rex