Author Topic: What Are You Listening To?  (Read 2267872 times)

killsaly

Re: What Are You Listening To?
« Reply #1920 on: December 22, 2009, 05:21:40 pm »

Limited Edition: Lost Songs from the Lost Years (2009)
Very nice, Im going to order this today... I wish it was for all new songs though, hopefully they dont take too long to follow up Tea Party...

vansmack

« Reply #1921 on: December 22, 2009, 06:24:38 pm »
7 years ago today Strummer passed away....

27>34

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #1922 on: December 23, 2009, 01:55:43 am »
T.Rex

azaghal1981

« Reply #1923 on: December 23, 2009, 03:43:43 am »
Love - Love Lost

"Arthur Lee's seminal work as leader of the '60s band Love is treasured by discerning rock fans around the world. Lee's status as one of his era's preeminent
musical cult heroes has grown immensely in recent years, leading to generations of new fans rediscovering the artist's remarkable catalog. Unfortunately,
Lee and the band's body of available recordings is relatively small, making Sundazed Music's release of a previously-unheard full-length vintage Arthur
Lee and Love album a major musical event.

Love Lost was recorded in 1971, during a brief, little-known period during which Love was signed to Columbia Records. Lee and the then-current Love lineup--bassist
Frank Fayad, guitarist Craig Tarwater and drummer Don Poncher--recorded an album's worth of new material for the label. But after the band left the company,
the recordings sat unreleased and unheard until now. The material on Love Lost--comprised of the unreleased Columbia sessions, plus five unreleased acoustic
demos from the same period--captures Love in a transitional phase, charting the next step in Lee's idiosyncratic musical trajectory, following the lush
garage-psychedelia of the classics Da Capo and Forever Changes, and the bluesier direction of the hardrocking False Start and Out Here.

Many of the songs included on Love Lost would resurface, often in radically different form, on subsequent Love releases, and on Lee's fabled solo album
Vindicator. But the original versions included on Love Lost, boast a playful looseness that's absent from most of Lee's later work, as well as a raw, edgy
urgency that underlines his credentials as an early progenitor of punk-rock attitude. Love Lost also features three songs--"For a Day," "Trippin' & Slippin'"
and "C.F.I. Instrumental"--that have not previously been released, in any form.

With a treasure trove of vintage Love music that has never before been heard by fans, Love Lost is a major addition to Arthur Lee and Love's body of work,
and its release is a major event for Lee's fervent fan base."

Two tracks in. Rather unimpressed.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 03:51:18 am by azaghal1981 »
احمد

nkotb

« Reply #1924 on: December 23, 2009, 10:58:03 am »

Why aren't these guys bigger?  This album is fucking great.

azaghal1981

« Reply #1925 on: December 24, 2009, 03:28:17 pm »
Oneohtrix Point Never - Rifts

Couple hours of bubbly, pretty analog synthesizer pieces.
احمد

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #1926 on: December 25, 2009, 11:42:48 am »
I'm listening to "L.A. Woman" vinyl from The Doors for the first time ever.

I feel like I'm so late to the party. This is kind of AMAZING.
Woof.

killsaly

« Reply #1927 on: December 25, 2009, 02:35:15 pm »

brennser

« Reply #1928 on: January 05, 2010, 12:17:07 pm »
I always use Jan to catch up on stuff I see in a lot of year end lists but have missed

This is great. I am still listening to it and I can't quite pin it down. Metal isn't the right descriptor even though its really heavy in parts but they blend a whole bunch of influences and for some reason a lot of the guitar work reminds me of Thin Lizzy.

Seems good but need more listens.

This was recommended by a boardie. Epic, swirling songs a la Radiohead or a slightly edgier Coldplay.

azaghal1981

« Reply #1929 on: January 05, 2010, 04:05:27 pm »
Just finished this:
C. Spencer Yeh, Paul Flaherty and Greg Kelley - New York Nuts and Boston Baked Beans

Would've been in my top 10 of last year if I'd discovered it earlier. Phenomenal unrelenting grinding free jazz that would make most people want to puncture their eardrums in order to stop the punishment.
احمد

nkotb

« Reply #1930 on: January 05, 2010, 05:13:38 pm »

Man, I love GBV almost unconditionally, and will continue to buy as many Suitcase boxsets as Pollard puts out.  But good lord, some of the songs on these are just pointless.

brennser

« Reply #1931 on: January 05, 2010, 06:36:47 pm »
the video is a little, well, odd but this song EFFING RULEZ!! I've been headbanging away in my office all day!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qii59-7JAM

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1932 on: January 10, 2010, 10:32:40 pm »
Simian Mobile Disco, flex their techno muscles on this week's Essential Mix. Listen out for new SMD tracks in the mix! http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00pkwrq
(streaming available for the next 5 days only)
<sig>

killsaly

« Reply #1933 on: January 11, 2010, 01:02:05 am »
the Movies - Running to the Sun

Tribes of the City's old band name's 1st album (a shoegaze band from Riga, Latvia)
Well worth hunting down, if you are in to that kind of thing.  They recently released their discography for free, but i think the links might be down...

Staralfur25

« Reply #1934 on: January 11, 2010, 02:42:39 am »
oh thank you for that essential mix of smd

i'm listening to reid speed mixes.

:-*