Author Topic: What Are You Listening To?  (Read 2266633 times)

Tom Servo

Re: What Are You Listening To?
« Reply #2130 on: November 09, 2010, 03:44:03 pm »

The Goodnight Loving

Catchy, jangly pop...RIYL the High Strung

hutch

« Reply #2131 on: November 09, 2010, 11:59:47 pm »
dylan blood on the tracks half speed mastered LP.. getting ready for concert tomorrow night in charlottesville..of course the songs - if he does even one from this album- wont' sound anything like on this record..

surprised at how banged up this lp is...its probably been a good 10 years since i listened to this particular copy

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2132 on: November 10, 2010, 09:05:13 am »
Beady Eye - "Bring The Eye"

beyond the Beatles/Kinks/Jerry Lee Lewis ripoff of a tune it includes the mind blowing lyrics of

""I bring the light, you get to see / you bring the love, it's ecstasy / I see no point in what you're thinking / I'm going out I'm taking you drinking."

It should be noted this song repeats the same verse twice

And about 90 secs of "Baby Come On" on repeat for a chorus
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 09:32:37 am by kosmo vinyl »
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2133 on: November 16, 2010, 08:34:08 am »

Memphis soul/jazz organ trio The City Champs return to Memphis? Electraphonic Recording studio for the follow up to their acclaimed debut album, The Safecracker. The Set-Up finds the group stretching out, adding Latin jazz, psychedelia and 60?s film score influences to their established Booker T. and the MGs meets Blue Note/Prestige Records sound.
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2134 on: November 19, 2010, 09:04:41 am »

Solo record from Dean Fertita (The Waxings, The Dead Weather, QOTSA, The Ranconteurs)  co-produced in part by Brendan Benson who helps on some of the songwriting as well.   Recorded with three members of QOTSA.

It's a nice blend of garage rock, psychedelic, british invasion and  lots of heavy fuzzed out guitar.  Think Ranconteurs only much better, Jack and his big ego isn't stomping all over the place.

This record is coming out in the US, it's great so just buy it already!

http://www.facebook.com/helloequalsfire
T.Rex

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2135 on: December 08, 2010, 02:13:43 am »
this is probably old news to some, but in case you haven't heard of them:

Adolf Plays the Jazz is a post-rock band (with occasional elements of shoegaze) from greece.  they offer all their music for free at http://adolfplaysthejazz.weebly.com/ 

their style seems to change a little with each album, i recommend "dirty waters" and "melt" - those have interesting little bits of electronica thrown in to the mix.  "stealth" is pretty good, "day 4 | urban fiction" is more of a straight-up take on epic post-rock and isn't particularly interesting IMO.

another cool find: amos val (http://amosval.bandcamp.com/album/amos-val / http://www.myspace.com/amosvalmusic/), also in the post-rock vein.  their free stuff doesn't do justice to their recently-released self-titled full length.  recommended.
<sig>

nkotb

« Reply #2136 on: December 10, 2010, 12:32:30 pm »
Can someone please tell me why I keep listening to Xiu Xiu albums?  Christ, after hearing EIGHT of them, you'd think I'd realize "hey, these guys blow and aren't likely to get any fucking better."

nkotb

« Reply #2137 on: December 22, 2010, 11:48:59 am »
Urge Overkill: definitely not as good as I remember.

walkonby

« Reply #2138 on: January 15, 2011, 05:03:23 pm »
listening to this guy i've never heard of before called gary jules . . . damn he's good.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2139 on: January 20, 2011, 06:55:14 pm »
listened to the (relatively) new autechre album, "oversteps".  what a pretentiously horrendous piece of crap.  i really wanted to like it but couldn't make it past the 5th track.  electronica is sometimes criticized as being nothing but random blips and beeps, but this truly sounds like they let some slow-moving animal walk across a trigger pad that was hooked up to a sampler loaded with random noises.  no structure, no themes, just random pointlessness.
<sig>

walkonby

« Reply #2140 on: January 20, 2011, 07:05:14 pm »
i am just now listening to dinosaur jr "farm."  one listen in . . . and i'm liking it.  it's growing; the music that is.

brennser

« Reply #2141 on: February 01, 2011, 10:27:53 pm »
Gang of Four - Content

Astonishingly good. Boy am I looking forward to the show next week.

hutch

« Reply #2142 on: February 01, 2011, 10:46:49 pm »
Jackie & Roy

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #2143 on: February 09, 2011, 11:26:46 pm »
"Alone"

The new album by The Morning After Girls. Quite good!

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2144 on: February 26, 2011, 10:26:13 am »

Clouds and Constellations

by Paris, Ontario

http://parisontario.bandcamp.com/album/clouds-and-constellations

with an member of De Novo Dahl on board this record has the feel of a Delgado's record
T.Rex