Author Topic: What Are You Listening To?  (Read 2103051 times)

hutch

Re: What Are You Listening To?
« Reply #6585 on: February 20, 2017, 07:50:45 pm »

been listening to a lot of Love and Rockets and related stuff the past few weeks.. amped up for the shows about to be announced for Daniel Ash and Kevin Haskins' new project Poptone.... Really hoping for some east coast dates.....If I could I'd jet to Los Angeles for the first gig 4-20 but there is just no way... A shame David J is not involved but that is the way the cookie crumbles and sometimes you have to take what you can get.. I have to be honest it is weird but even though David J wrote and sang way more of my favorite Love and Rockets stuff, and played some amazing bass,  I consider myself a Daniel Ash guy...

this is a picture of the album I just listened to, the fourth one self titled with So Alive a radio promo signed by all.. on the back it has a backstage promoter pass that says June 23, 1989 which my research tells me was for a gig in Ft Lauderdale.. and the one I'm listening to right now the Canadian pressing of the first album (which includes Ball of Confusion)...

hutch

« Reply #6586 on: February 20, 2017, 08:45:02 pm »

This album kind of stiffed.. 5 years after the self titled one with the hit "So Alive" they decided to go trip hop/Floyd /Orb and people couldn't deal.. I love it.. The 2 LP vinyl is very hard to find and I doubt it will ever be rereleased.. its a pretty ballsy release opening up with a 15 minute slow buildup track Body and Soul... great, as usual, bass from David J.... I guess the record may sound kind of dated now but I love it...
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 08:47:36 pm by Donald Trump final President »

hutch

« Reply #6587 on: February 20, 2017, 10:07:18 pm »

Express is probably my favorite album of theirs and this comes in second....great great stuff..

walkie,talkie

« Reply #6588 on: February 20, 2017, 10:13:09 pm »
Prince.  Take it or leave it.  Any album.  Any year.  Man.

Kubacheck

« Reply #6589 on: February 20, 2017, 10:18:47 pm »
Prince.  Take it or leave it.  Any album.  Any year.  Man.

I know I'm in the minority on this, but, I'll, leave, it.

hutch

« Reply #6590 on: February 20, 2017, 10:21:31 pm »
it gets dodgy after 1989 (Batman)... til then it was an amazing run...

Kubacheck

« Reply #6591 on: February 20, 2017, 10:34:55 pm »
Prince is in same category as Springsteen for me, I recognize the talent/brilliance and why everyone likes them, just for some reason they do nothing for me..... that everyone else seems to love them shows that I'm in the wrong in some fashion, but that's how it is.....

hutch

« Reply #6592 on: February 20, 2017, 10:58:20 pm »
I think if one enjoyed everything one "should enjoy" life would be very boring....I totally get what you're saying.. I'm sort of the same on bruce although i really love his first album.... I'm probably that way with Lou Reed solo work other than Transformer also....

hutch

« Reply #6593 on: February 23, 2017, 08:46:25 am »
Prince- 1999

the opening three tracks/side one....1999/little red corvette/delirious.... man so good...there is no better "I'm going to dominate" musical statement than that...

« Reply #6594 on: February 23, 2017, 09:16:31 am »
that is my opinion as well

he really never had his 'return to form' album
put out about 1000 tracks, but I never heard one that was worth a 'mix tape inclusion'

I have heard that live, he was still amazing...but alas I totally slept on that one thinking their would be many opportunities

slack

« Reply #6595 on: February 23, 2017, 09:18:36 am »
Prince is in same category as Springsteen for me,
Frank Zappa is that way for me
slack

hutch

« Reply #6596 on: February 23, 2017, 12:34:35 pm »
that is my opinion as well

he really never had his 'return to form' album
put out about 1000 tracks, but I never heard one that was worth a 'mix tape inclusion'

I have heard that live, he was still amazing...but alas I totally slept on that one thinking their would be many opportunities

people like to say the Gold Experience is up there but I just don't hear it..... and I'm not into Diamonds and Pearls or the Love Symbol one.. I have not heard The Rainbow Children which some people swear by.. but I mean i tried. i kept buying his stuff in the 90s.. the Emancipation 3 disc Box, the Crytal Ball box and I just didn't get into any of it .. CHaos and Disorder did nothing for me... etc..

ggw

« Reply #6597 on: February 23, 2017, 01:18:10 pm »
Prince is in same category as Springsteen for me, I recognize the talent/brilliance and why everyone likes them, just for some reason they do nothing for me..... that everyone else seems to love them shows that I'm in the wrong in some fashion, but that's how it is.....

I feel about Springsteen much the way I feel about REM -- the first few albums were epic and then boom, the quality just dropped off a cliff.  Greetings from Asbury Park is still one of my all-time favorite albums.  The Wild..., Born to Run, Darkness are all great.  The River was bloated and a little hokey in places, but still solid.  Nebraska is fantastic.  Then came Born in the USA.  Blech....  Schmaltzy pop crap rather than the great, slightly bookish, blue-collar songwriting of his early work.   I'm sure some of his later stuff is great at times, but he was just lost to me after Born in the USA.

hutch

« Reply #6598 on: February 23, 2017, 02:00:02 pm »

I feel about Springsteen much the way I feel about REM -- the first few albums were epic and then boom, the quality just dropped off a cliff.  Greetings from Asbury Park is still one of my all-time favorite albums.  The Wild..., Born to Run, Darkness are all great.  The River was bloated and a little hokey in places, but still solid.  Nebraska is fantastic.  Then came Born in the USA.  Blech....  Schmaltzy pop crap rather than the great, slightly bookish, blue-collar songwriting of his early work.   I'm sure some of his later stuff is great at times, but he was just lost to me after Born in the USA.

damn dude.. i could have written the above

Greetings is my favorite and one of my all time favorites too.... I thought I was unique like that?

dyecraig

« Reply #6599 on: February 23, 2017, 02:17:58 pm »
agreed. i was fortunate to see the lovesexy show and that was hard to top for stage show extravagance.
some fine singles later, but i'm an album guy.
live, though? anytime.