Author Topic: What Are You Listening To?  (Read 2097899 times)

Re: What Are You Listening To?
« Reply #8415 on: May 18, 2020, 11:38:59 am »
The key with Blackheart records is they quickly got major label distribution (Epic? No maybe CBS) so how indie is it when you get stocked in every record store in America? This wasn’t Dischord..
Yeah, but that was after ILRNR started becoming a hit
my understanding is they shoped it around to every lable and got turned down by every single one so they had to self release
some NY dj loved it and played the shit out of it, then Epic/CBS was like...umm we better snap this up

she and her manager, Kenny Laguna, found it virtually impossible to land a record deal; as Laguna later alleged, they received at least one rejection letter from every major in the industry. Undaunted, Laguna funded and self-released Jett's 1980 solo debut, selling it directly to concertgoers at her gigs. Eventually, her music got the attention of former Casablanca Records impresario Neil Bogart, who picked up the distribution rights to the Joan Jett record — later reissued as Bad Reputation — and brought Jett on board for her next release.

Read More: How Joan Jett Hit the Big Time With 'I Love Rock 'n Roll' | https://ultimateclassicrock.com/joan-jett-i-love-rock-n-roll/?

slack

hutch

« Reply #8416 on: May 18, 2020, 11:45:42 am »
No! I love rock and roll is her second album! By that point she was part of Boardwalk Records run and owned by the guy who used to own Casablanca (KISS, Donna Summer, Village People, etc)

I mean it’s all a bit shrouded (no doubt on purpose) but come on...the guy behind KISS, Village People etc

You can’t make this shit up

Bagley

« Reply #8417 on: May 18, 2020, 11:48:07 am »
Waxahatchee- Fire  (repeatedly)

« Reply #8418 on: May 18, 2020, 11:53:32 am »
she and her manager, Kenny Laguna, found it virtually impossible to land a record deal; as Laguna later alleged, they received at least one rejection letter from every major in the industry. Undaunted, Laguna funded and self-released Jett's 1980 solo debut, selling it directly to concertgoers at her gigs. Eventually, her music got the attention of former Casablanca Records impresario Neil Bogart, who picked up the distribution rights to the Joan Jett record — later reissued as Bad Reputation — and brought Jett on board for her next release.

Read More: How Joan Jett Hit the Big Time With 'I Love Rock 'n Roll' | https://ultimateclassicrock.com/joan-jett-i-love-rock-n-roll/?

So are you saying that the statement above is a fabrication?
I saw the documentary from a few years back and the story was pretty much the same
Doesn't mean it was is a fact... but that's the story I am sticking with
slack

hutch

« Reply #8419 on: May 18, 2020, 12:01:14 pm »
She was indie for a year cause nobody was interested and when her manager Laguna, mainly from the bubblegum world of yummy, yummy hooked Bogart, of KISS and Village people fame, she became part of the majors...she retained her imprint (Blackheart) for cool points

She’s a fake.

Speaking of fake  I saw Joan at the 930 maybe 15 years ago? The Botox my lord

On the plus side she did that album with The Gits or what was left of them as Evil Stig

I am not sure what you are saying you are sticking to? That she was unsigned after leaving the Runaways? Obviously true but she signed as quickly as she could when someone put a contract in front of her

« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 12:04:23 pm by hutch »

WALKonBack

« Reply #8420 on: May 18, 2020, 12:09:17 pm »
New Basement Jaxx.  So great to see they are still around, bringing all that.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #8421 on: May 18, 2020, 12:13:06 pm »
New Basement Jaxx.  So great to see they are still around, bringing all that.
Cosigned. Love them.
LVMH

« Reply #8422 on: May 18, 2020, 01:36:05 pm »
Speaking of fake  I saw Joan at the 930 maybe 15 years ago? The Botox my lord
yes, will agree she looks scary in the doc (2017?)

still seems like she recorded ILRNR before the majors (who all rejected it after she had the product)
and only signed once Bogart got involved, but the order matters
Yes, she became a big part of the machine after that
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 01:37:52 pm by Keyboard Warrior-hatch ılıl|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|lıl »
slack

dyecraig

« Reply #8423 on: May 18, 2020, 01:41:42 pm »
Gregg Allman - Low Country Blues

hutch

« Reply #8424 on: May 18, 2020, 02:06:51 pm »
A lot of Syd lately

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #8425 on: May 19, 2020, 12:57:22 pm »
The Vapors - Together 

First new album in, checks notes, 39 years
T.Rex

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #8426 on: May 19, 2020, 02:05:51 pm »
^ good to see that Julian was successful in getting the band back together, after all those years.
<sig>

« Reply #8427 on: May 19, 2020, 02:27:24 pm »
^ good to see that Julian was successful in getting the band back together, after all those years.
was my first thought too
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #8428 on: May 19, 2020, 02:44:39 pm »
I've been trying to drop breadcrumbs so you all would know first for a while.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #8429 on: May 19, 2020, 04:24:31 pm »
Cold Swear (jazz cats) play JB

I want my $5 back...boring