Author Topic: What Are You Listening To?  (Read 2100599 times)

Vas Deferens

Re: What Are You Listening To?
« Reply #8550 on: June 18, 2020, 09:31:02 am »
Judi Dench on facebook  ;D

He was last posting as FireButt McGee
(_|_)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #8551 on: June 18, 2020, 10:00:00 am »
Judi Dench on facebook  ;D

He was last posting as FireButt McGee
Did not know this. He sent me a friend req about a year ago and I was so disappointed when it wasn’t THE Judi Dench. Never knew who it was. This fills in a lot of gaps.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #8552 on: June 18, 2020, 10:27:54 am »

Still rings true..

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #8553 on: June 18, 2020, 03:00:39 pm »
Not sure which topic to post this in but this is a good as any... Forum alumnus and now member of Too Free makes it to Rolling Stone

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/too-free-washington-dc-interview-1015928/

Just watched the video for this piece, it's really well done and worthy of six minutes.
T.Rex

hutch

« Reply #8554 on: June 18, 2020, 08:12:18 pm »
Raincoats debut LP

Reissue with Fairytale in the Supermarket added

A personal favorite

hutch

« Reply #8555 on: June 19, 2020, 09:30:29 am »

I love these guys...they were used to great effect in that Sofia Coppola movie about Marie Antoinette

Unlike a lot of early 80s music I find it hasn’t aged poorly

Interestingly that a clearly manufactured act (Malcolm McLaren) has five tracks on this - including the “hit”-produced by Kenny Laguna the same dude who was indie street cred hero Joan Jett’s producer..

« Reply #8556 on: June 19, 2020, 09:34:33 am »
I love that album and knew the Malcom connection, but didn't know the Joan Jett connection

Kenny Laguna is a long time member of the music community, as performer, songwriter, and producer.
In the late seventies, he wrote and produced new wave punk hits for  Jonathan Richmond and Greg Kihn. \

Kenny was asked to produce Bow Wow Wow. The outcome of these sessions was a hit called "I Want Candy." Around the same time, he began working with Joan Jett. This collaboration marked the beginning of a long-standing partnership between Kenny and Joan.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 09:58:06 am by Exceedingly Hatchious ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|lıl »
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #8557 on: June 19, 2020, 11:13:19 am »
All of the songs sampled in Feed The Animals.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #8558 on: June 19, 2020, 03:08:35 pm »
All of the songs sampled in Feed The Animals.

Including, upon relisten, a weirdly timely Pepper.

Another Mikey took a knife
While arguing in traffic
Flipper died a natural death
He caught a nasty virus
Then there was the ever-present
Football player rapist
They were all in love with dyin'
They were doing it in Texas
Pauly caught a bullet
But it only hit his leg
Well it should have been a better shot
And got him in the head
They were all in love with dyin'
They were drinking from a fountain
That was pouring like an avalanche
Coming down the mountain

Space Freely

« Reply #8559 on: June 19, 2020, 05:02:31 pm »
I love that album and knew the Malcom connection, but didn't know the Joan Jett connection

Kenny Laguna is a long time member of the music community, as performer, songwriter, and producer.
In the late seventies, he wrote and produced new wave punk hits for  Jonathan Richmond and Greg Kihn. \

Kenny was asked to produce Bow Wow Wow. The outcome of these sessions was a hit called "I Want Candy." Around the same time, he began working with Joan Jett. This collaboration marked the beginning of a long-standing partnership between Kenny and Joan.

Is Jonathan Richmond and relation to Jonathan Richman?

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #8560 on: June 19, 2020, 08:21:39 pm »

Is Jonathan Richmond and relation to Jonathan Richman?
He’s more of a Natural DC artist.
LVMH

« Reply #8561 on: June 19, 2020, 08:48:40 pm »
To be honest I thought it was the modern lovers Jonathan...that’s why I included that bit... but didn’t catch the different last name
slack

hutch

« Reply #8562 on: June 19, 2020, 08:56:03 pm »
It is Jonathan Richman

hutch

« Reply #8563 on: June 21, 2020, 01:14:09 pm »
Purple Mountains

I held off listening to this til today...Amazon is having a cool music sale..buy 2 get 3....on certain items..even the new Bob Dylan album which I am awaiting any minute

Anyways yes this record is fantastic but damnit it’s one long suicide note...kind of heartbreaking although it’s a part of life that should be written about...feelings of failure, a disintegrating marriage, losing friendships, alienation, loss of belief in God and a wish to be done with it...

Honestly it’s great stuff but a little intense...it’s a very good look at a person about to kill themselves which is very different from a look at a person that is sad

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #8564 on: June 21, 2020, 06:27:41 pm »
Gruff Rhys - Pang!
Muzi - Zeno

Still two of my favorites, fab listening party for Pang! this afternoon
T.Rex