Author Topic: What Are You Listening To?  (Read 2080982 times)

Space Freely

Re: What Are You Listening To?
« Reply #9000 on: January 21, 2021, 10:20:39 am »
Who do you guys think is the better artist, Internet Money, or Tom Waits?

My wife says the former, I say the latter. She says Tom Waits is someone that "people say they, mostly stupid middle aged white men, like because they think it makes them look cool."

That said, I don't even think Internet Money is a single act/artist.

Space Freely

« Reply #9001 on: January 21, 2021, 10:23:16 am »
Jon Bon  Jovi pulling his patented “a rainy night in soho” on here comes the sun

Are you referencing his "Fairytale of New York" cover? Did he cover "A Rainy Night in Soho" too?

Yada

« Reply #9002 on: January 21, 2021, 10:29:56 am »
I don't know who "Internet Money" is.

hutch

« Reply #9003 on: January 21, 2021, 10:33:45 am »
Jon Bon  Jovi pulling his patented “a rainy night in soho” on here comes the sun

Are you referencing his "Fairytale of New York" cover? Did he cover "A Rainy Night in Soho" too?

Oops yeah I can never keep them straight

Space Freely

« Reply #9004 on: January 21, 2021, 10:34:34 am »

You must be one of those out of touch middle class white guys. Consider yourself schooled.

Internet Money is a Los Angeles-based music production collective and label founded by Taz Taylor. Members of the collective have produced for some of rap’s biggest names, including Drake, Juice WRLD, Trippie Redd, Lil Uzi Vert, XXXTENTACION, and many more.

The production members also run a YouTube channel by the same name, Internet Money, where they post beat-making videos, tracks, and general tips.

In October 2019, Internet Money signed a joint venture deal with TenThousand Projects, which now releases music for all of Internet Money’s artists. The first song released under this deal was “Somebody” with Lil Tecca and A Boogie wit da Hoodie, released October 11, 2019.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 10:36:31 am by Space Freely »

Space Freely

« Reply #9005 on: January 21, 2021, 10:36:04 am »

Oops yeah I can never keep them straight

I didn't watch it live but saw a clip last night. Your first thought was mine as well.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #9006 on: January 21, 2021, 10:40:59 am »
well comparing a rap collective to tom waites is a bit of a comparing apple to oranges situation

and yes I had to look up what Internet Money is... looks like a Daptones Record kind of collective
T.Rex

Yada

« Reply #9007 on: January 21, 2021, 10:47:23 am »

You must be one of those out of touch middle class white guys. Consider yourself schooled.

Internet Money is a Los Angeles-based music production collective and label founded by Taz Taylor. Members of the collective have produced for some of rap’s biggest names, including Drake, Juice WRLD, Trippie Redd, Lil Uzi Vert, XXXTENTACION, and many more.

The production members also run a YouTube channel by the same name, Internet Money, where they post beat-making videos, tracks, and general tips.

In October 2019, Internet Money signed a joint venture deal with TenThousand Projects, which now releases music for all of Internet Money’s artists. The first song released under this deal was “Somebody” with Lil Tecca and A Boogie wit da Hoodie, released October 11, 2019.

I've heard of a few of those "artists" but didn't know they were a "collective."
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 10:55:38 am by Yada »

Space Freely

« Reply #9008 on: January 21, 2021, 11:04:15 am »

I've heard of a few of those "artists" but didn't know they were a "collective."

I *think* "Internet Money" is a collective of producers who have worked with a number of artists, including those listed. But the artists themselves (e.g. Drake) are not part of the collective, just the producers. Hence, I find it a bit confusing when my wife refers to "my favorite song of the year was by Internet Money," because we typically refer to the artist, not the collective of producers, when referring to who "did" the song.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #9009 on: January 22, 2021, 08:21:51 am »
CeeLo Green is Thomas Callaway

When a favorite new record comes along I tend to listen to them a lot... This one is still in heavy rotation, so much so I find myself singing bits from it...

Would be fun to see a tour with Ceelo, Yola and Aaron Frazer as they all share a bit of that Easy Eye Sound Studio DNA
T.Rex

vansmack

27>34

hutch

« Reply #9011 on: January 23, 2021, 04:24:53 pm »

Nina really cut some great records..this has to be among her best..

hutch

hutch

« Reply #9013 on: January 24, 2021, 11:30:22 am »

I think this was the first compilation of Tubby..out in 89 shortly after his tragic death that year ... this was put together by Steve Barrow (spurred by Tubby’s death?) who a decade later would do so much to disseminate King Tubby’s work via the Blood and Fire reggae reissue label; the first label to attempt to put out virtually unobtainable reggae classics with a focus on dub (precursor to the dance remix) and DJ reggae (precursor to hip hop) with high quality sound and artwork... traditionally being from Jamaica this music has been issued in very limited garbage pressings often without artwork or credits..where song titles were included they were usually wrong! Over time the music was virtually disappearing from circulation

I don’t know but I think arguments could be made that Tubby and Jamaicans where way ahead of everyone else in terms of production techniques in the 1970s... this is different than simply saying Jamaican music rocks or something...I mean yes the songs were there...but that they were so ahead in terms of use of the studio in music - given the fact they were flat broke and had such a limited potential market- is remarkable

You can listen to Thievery Corporation stuff from 2000 and be like “Holy shit this sounds lifted almost to a fault from King Tubby’s mixing of Yabby You 25 years earlier!” That’s not an indictment of Thievery but a credit to Tubby.. it’s hard to be 25 years ahead of trends! Tubby died virtually unknown and there are but a few pictures I keep seeing recycled of the guy over and over again on countless reissues of his work...usually a nondescript middle age largely bald dude wearing a cheap crown...it’s almost bizarre

Barrow sums it up in the last paragraph of the liner notes to the compilation

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Tubby
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 12:44:50 pm by hutch »

hutch

« Reply #9014 on: January 24, 2021, 09:01:09 pm »
I had to buy this even though not mint as it’s the only time I ever even seen it ...Curtis Mayfield had left the impressions by this point but still put this out on his label, wrote songs on it and produced it..from 1972... this is obscure outside of Chicago

To give some context on Mayfield’s label Curtom this is 8012 with Curtis Live being 8010 and Superfly soundtrack being 8014.... Curtis was just unstoppable around this time!!!

« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 09:14:32 pm by hutch »