Author Topic: mogwai in album not crap shocker  (Read 1958 times)

mjnova

mogwai in album not crap shocker
« on: June 26, 2003, 10:25:00 am »
Even after the first listen, it was obvious that this is a great album.  It's up there with the new Godspeed.  I think both bands have really focused their sound and created great albums even with shorter songs.

Also, the fact that the boys actually have tunes this time around helps.

And on a tangent, after my first listen, I think I may be done with Super Furry Animals, I really can't tolerate this faux-country half-assed-'60s crap that they've decided that they want to do more of.  But I guess it'll improve a bit on the next few spins.

Jaguär

Re: mogwai in album not crap shocker
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2003, 10:38:00 am »
I'm hoping that the problem with the new SFA is the lack of a final mixing and tweeking in the studio. But yeah, the new one really falls flat so far.  :(

Relaxer

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2003, 10:47:00 am »
I loved 'Fuzzy Logic' and have liked each subsequent SFA release a little bit less each time. Radiator was great (and even better because it had the Outspaced b-side collection as a bonus). Guerilla was good but starting to sound gimmicky. I liked Mwng, but I think I liked the idea of it more than the actual product. Rings Around the Planet was only okay. I'm not pursuing Phantom Power.
oword

mjnova

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2003, 10:52:00 am »
Originally posted by Jaguär:
  I'm hoping that the problem with the new SFA is the lack of a final mixing and tweeking in the studio. But yeah, the new one really falls flat so far.   :(  
I think my copy has the final mix (although it doesn't have any packaging, which is not that uncommon for promos).  I don't think they'd send an unfinished mix out to radio stations.

I always  though Guerilla was their best.  Just an absolutely perfect pop album, although I really do need to get radiator.