Author Topic: U2 3D  (Read 5704 times)

helicon1

U2 3D
« on: January 24, 2008, 07:42:00 am »
I went to the natural history museum last night. To preface, I know and like U2's music but not totally crazy about them. But they really set a standard for concert films. Do yourself a favor and see it.

The 3D element wasn't overdone but rather used to amplify the scope, depth and detail of a show. Camera angles were used to make you feel like a spectator but also the performer. Every instrument, especially the drum set, was spectacularly detailed and the sound was fantastic.

The lady at the sales counter said it's only running through the end of February. Totally cool experience.

MaLo

Re: U2 3D
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 10:10:00 am »
I'm going Friday night...excited!  I've heard its great.

eros

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 10:27:00 am »
Saw it last night in Baltimore and I agree with the review.  It's nice that the 3D isn't really overdone.  There are only a few real gimmicky 3D shots in the film (who knew Bono had such fat fingers?).  The crowd level shots where you see heads and arms in front of you are really amazing.

One minor complaint...was it me or could you still see the some of the "shadows" around moving objects on the screen?  I'm wondering if it is because we were sitting off to the side of the theater.  Also, they could've turned up the volume a few notches to drown out all the idiot talkers    :mad:  

P.S.  Make sure you stay through the end credits.
ʎɐʍou

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 10:58:00 am »
saw it last night, too.  pretty damn amazing stuff.  my brain spent the first 15 minutes trying to come to terms with what i was seeing, took a while to process.    flying in over the crowd, or seeing thousands of people jump up and down from an overhead vantage point was downright psychedelic.

recommended.
<sig>

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 11:01:00 am »
Does Bono take a dump onstage to the delight of the adoring crowd, ala Thom Yorke?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 11:06:00 am »
no, but he is pretty pompous at moments... then again, he's bono - what do you expect.  you'd better come either liking or expecting it.  i could have done without a reading of the opening articles of the universal declaration of human rights at the end of miss sarajevo, tho.

the really cool thing about his behavior is that it gives the internet hipster-haters something to moan about.
<sig>

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 11:39:00 am »
Up here in PA, it's at Harrisburg's Whitaker center.  Tonight, if you pay to see "Vertigo USA-America's leading U2 Tribute band" you get to see the film at midnight for free.

And this is in a TRUE Imax theater.  If I'm paying $16 to see a wet, nude, computer-enhanced Angelina Jolie in 3D I want her to be on a five story screen dammit!  Not some regular movie screen that says it's "IMAX."

My complaint is the set list.  Couldn't they have put a few more newer songs in the set list?  I'm so sick of hearing "With or Without You", "Pride (In the Name of Love)", "Where the Streets Have No Name", "Sunday Bloody Sunday" and "New Year's Day" it's not even funny.  Sure, they have to do a couple of those but cutting two or three of those out and putting in some newer songs (even from "Zooropa") would be a lot more interesting.

Can you IMAGINE if they had this technology back in 1993?  Zoo TV in Imax 3D?

Brian

nkotb

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 11:45:00 am »
Just to clarify, do we hate hipsters, or are we hipsters that also hate?

Originally posted by sweetcell:
  the really cool thing about his behavior is that it gives the internet hipster-haters something to moan about.

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 11:49:00 am »
Self hatred is never a good thing!

Originally posted by nkotb:
  Just to clarify, do we hate hipsters,

[/b]

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 11:57:00 am »
Originally posted by nkotb:
  Just to clarify, do we hate hipsters, or are we hipsters that also hate?
both  :(
<sig>

Sage 703

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 12:47:00 pm »
Without reading what anybody else has said yet...

Everybody should go see this movie.  It is hands down the greatest concert movie ever made, and one of the best movie going experiences I've ever had.  U2 aside, this is just purely incredible cinema.  Do yourself a favor and go see it while it is on an IMAX screen.

I think I'll probably see this at least three times in the theatre.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 12:57:00 pm »
agreed, i'll be seeing this movie more than once too.

Originally posted by Brian Wallace:
  Up here in PA, it's at Harrisburg's Whitaker center.  Tonight, if you pay to see "Vertigo USA-America's leading U2 Tribute band" you get to see the film at midnight for free.

And this is in a TRUE Imax theater.  If I'm paying $16 to see a wet, nude, computer-enhanced Angelina Jolie in 3D I want her to be on a five story screen dammit!  Not some regular movie screen that says it's "IMAX."

My complaint is the set list.  Couldn't they have put a few more newer songs in the set list?  I'm so sick of hearing "With or Without You", "Pride (In the Name of Love)", "Where the Streets Have No Name", "Sunday Bloody Sunday" and "New Year's Day" it's not even funny.  Sure, they have to do a couple of those but cutting two or three of those out and putting in some newer songs (even from "Zooropa") would be a lot more interesting.

Can you IMAGINE if they had this technology back in 1993?  Zoo TV in Imax 3D?

Brian
agreed about the setlist, they should have dumped some of the "big hits" that we've all heared a thousand times before in favor of some newer stuff ("new" in terms of how often you hear them perform it).  

but brian, isn't U2 an irrelevant doesn't-speak-to-my-generation old-timers band?
<sig>

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 01:05:00 pm »
  but brian, isn't U2 an irrelevant doesn't-speak-to-my-generation old-timers band?
Yes.  Yes, they are.  If I had my druthers, I'd like to see MCR3D or BrodyDalle3D or even CourtneyLove3D just to see her stage dive and smack someone with her guitar (in 3D!) but I guess I'll take what they give me.

Brian

Sage 703

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 01:10:00 pm »
Okay, now I've read what everybody else said...

Going to see this shouldn't have anything to do with U2 at all, in my opinion.  If you like U2, it is just a bonus.  It is just a groundbreaking technological film to me - you feel completely immersed in it.  Not only that, they USE the medium in all facets - they incorporate the 3D element into post-production, they isolate the audio mix at times to further bring out the 3D elements...it just is incredible.  Can't recommend it enough.

vansmack

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008, 01:25:00 pm »
That explains the drunken near midnight (et) phone call I received from the Director last night.  Must have been a U2 gizzphoria!

I'm going to see it in Denver this weekend.
27>34