Author Topic: dont rip off other peoples songs....  (Read 3694 times)

markie

dont rip off other peoples songs....
« on: June 27, 2003, 11:24:00 am »
http://www.nme.com/news/105428.htm

I new that damn song sounded too familiar. I didnt realise it was that though. I kept thinking of the bands take a load of fanny......

allmy$to930

Re: dont rip off other peoples songs....
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2003, 12:41:00 pm »
I can't believe this is just becoming an issue. I heard the similarity about ten seconds into the song the first time I heard it.

I think it is pathetic that Cat Stevens is profitting from this. They are not singing "Father and Son" they are using part of the melody. Cat Steven should thank Allah that he is getting some attention.

Guiny

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2003, 01:17:00 pm »
Did you really think the Flaming Lips were talented enough to think of their own stuff?????

mjnova

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2003, 01:23:00 pm »
Originally posted by Guiny:
  Did you really think the Flaming Lips were talented enough to think of their own stuff?????
Well concidering Wayne isn't the talent behind the music to begin with, it's Steven Drozd, the drummer/guitarist/smack-fiend, plus I bet Dave Friedmann has a big hand in it too.  If you saw them live, the bassist Michael Ivins doesn't really do anything.  He actually needed a paper with the chords for the Oberver.  Kind of an intersting band dynamic, really.

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2003, 01:28:00 pm »
I'm not sure if this has anything to do with anything, but I've always found it funny that the same people who run the Robbie Fulks chat board also run the Cat Stevens chat board.

How does one become the chatboard moderator for variious artist chat boards?

Jaguär

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2003, 01:30:00 pm »
I can't stand Wayne's ball-less voice!!! Never, ever liked that band at all. I think they have their moments but far too few for me. But that voice! He ruins it for anything that I may like about them.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2003, 01:41:00 pm »
ok, this criticism of the flaming lips is a little unfair. . .if anyone saw them before they went down to a trio, they had alot of talent.  wayne and ronald jones could really play guitar.  it was only after ronald left, that steven began to be the force behind the band.  i remember seeing them as the quartet, and they were always very impressive, and fun to see.  

however, i will give you that since the soft bulletin, a good portion of the live show is pre-recorded (mainly drums) and steven handles the guitar/noise part of the show.  but its the atmosphere and show that they put on that's great now.  while i'd love to hear something from before the soft bulletin (turn it on, especially), i can live with that every time i see them, i'll see a great show and be happy for several days afterwards.
OU812

thirsty moore

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2003, 01:44:00 pm »
I wasn't aware of that.  While he might not write the music he's an exceptional performer of it!   Personally, I find Wayne's voice a perfect fit for the Flaming Lips.  

Originally posted by mjnova:
 Well concidering Wayne isn't the talent behind the music to begin with...

bungle bud

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2003, 02:56:00 pm »
you mean a shit voice for a shit band....yep perfect fit

walkman

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2003, 03:04:00 pm »
I agree 100% with Bede.  A Lips show will leave me grinning for days...how many other bands can match that, honestly?  And for the record (no pun intended), every album they've released in the past 10 years has been top 10 material...that's nothing to sneeze at.  I mean, ten years ago Radiohead came out with Pablo Honey (blah), and we all give them plenty of respect today.

walkman

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2003, 03:06:00 pm »
Originally posted by Andrew WK:
 the bands take a load of fanny......
It took me about 5 minutes to realize you were talking about "The Weight" and not some unusual sexual practice.

markie

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2003, 03:13:00 pm »
Originally posted by walkman:
   5 minutes to realize you were talking about "The Weight" and not some unusual sexual practice.
it only takes you five minutes?

I cant believe there are so many people who dont like the flaming lips. I was late to the party only hearing of them when "do you realize" got airplay..... But yoshimi and soft bulletin are both mighty fine albums.

mjnova

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2003, 04:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by thirsty moore:
  I wasn't aware of that.  While he might not write the music he's an exceptional performer of it!   Personally, I find Wayne's voice a perfect fit for the Flaming Lips.  

Originally posted by mjnova:
 Well concidering Wayne isn't the talent behind the music to begin with...
[/b]
He's the mouthpiece certainly, and a great one at that.  I'm not bashing their show, I enjoyed it a bunch, but if you strip away the carnival atmosphere, they're live show wouldn't be in the same league.

And their albums, well those speak for themselves.  Their studio stuff w/ Friedman (song stealing and all) is pretty untouchable.