Author Topic: Anyone been???  (Read 9000 times)

vansmack

Re: Anyone been???
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2003, 05:08:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  I really look at DC/Alexandria/Arllington as one and the same. The actual land mass that DC proper encompasses is very small, so why not include those other places? Separating DC from ARlington is like separating Manhattan from Brooklyn.

Yep, just like NW DC and NE/SW/SE DC.  It's one and the same my friend.
27>34

markie

« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2003, 05:17:00 pm »
  I prefer Iota for the genre AND the club.

I would have much preferred seeing Steve Earle, Wilco, the Jayhawks, Old 97's, Kasey Chambers, and other successful alt-country bands that I've seen at the 9:30 club in the much smaller Iota.

Yep sure, most people would prefer seeing a band in a small as venue as possible, but wiyhout 930 you probably wouldnt get to see those bands play in DC. (or the majority of shite britpop I love so much.)

Medic

« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2003, 06:00:00 pm »
Medic do you want me to give you a ride in my fancy jeep? We can pick up Wendy too.
DAMN YOU SACO!!!!!! um actually it may not be to bad of an idea- afterwards we'll come back and have that Luau!

Bags

« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2003, 09:36:00 am »
  I would have much preferred seeing Steve Earle, Wilco, the Jayhawks, Old 97's, Kasey Chambers, and other successful alt-country bands that I've seen at the 9:30 club in the much smaller Iota.

Well sure, and I wish I'd seen Foo Fighters on their last tour there as well.  You have to be realistic -- bands have to play in a venue befitting their fan base.  As much as I'd love to see my favorite bands in tiny venues, that would leave a lot of other fans on the street.

Iota has some drawbacks -- that huge, huge column in the middle of the room that makes a quarter of the place shitty for viewing, and the fact that they don't pre-sell tickets.  It's a pain in the ass to pack myself in there at 8:30 to see a band that comes on at 11:00.

« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2003, 10:48:00 am »

« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2003, 10:51:00 am »
Hi

paige

« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2003, 11:02:00 am »
Originally posted by lily1:
  you need to specify and say the clarendon/courthouse area. that i'll agree with. even as a faithful dc resident for 10 years, i'll venture out to iota/gua rapo/galaxy hut/minhs/el pollo ric, etc. good stuff to be found in those 'hoods, if you can overlook the yuppified pottery barn/whole foods market area.

I don't understand the "I've never been to  Arlington" mentality when they've got the best music club in the DC area.

I guess it's the equivalent of someone in Manhattan saying, "I've never been to Brooklyn."
[/b]
exactly!! besides there are plenty of yuppies in dc... northern va - especially arlington - has some great restaurants, it has the metro and the small venues like the ones you mentioned are great for seeing bands that we all love but dont always come to larger venues. sometimes it can be easier to get to arlington than to another place within dc, it's that easy  ;)

vansmack

« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2003, 11:19:00 am »
Originally posted by paige:
  exactly!! besides there are plenty of yuppies in dc... northern va - especially arlington - has some great restaurants, it has the metro and the small venues like the ones you mentioned are great for seeing bands that we all love but dont always come to larger venues. sometimes it can be easier to get to arlington than to another place within dc, it's that easy   ;)  
Paige, we're breaking up.  I just can't continue this long distance relationship.  Northern Vagina is just too far from Cleveland (Park).
27>34