Author Topic: Shakedown Street at 930  (Read 5937 times)

Sage 703

Re: Shakedown Street at 930
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2005, 03:23:00 pm »
i think a nice solution to the smoking ban debate would be to allow venues, bars, and restaurants to get a permit that would allow it within the premises - just like an alcohol permit.  Then, if you are a venue where people are going to be pissed about not being able to smoke (ie: Black Cat), you can make arrangements.

ratioci nation

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2005, 03:25:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  legislation maybe the way to go... but it might be better if venues were allowed to set thier own policy and create smoking/non-smoking areas on thier own.  i.e. at the 9:30 club main room nonsmoking backbar smoking, same with the Black Cat, i'd just spend very little time in the Red Room.
they can set their own policies now

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2005, 03:26:00 pm »
Ugh.  I would hate that.  That would essentially turn those bars into smoking lounges.

lily1

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2005, 03:27:00 pm »
  and my knickers are in a twist because of the oppresive pants i have to wear!!!!!!

utilikilt at the cleaners?  :D

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2005, 03:28:00 pm »
i'm tired and need to go home and you are right... maybe the legislation should some flexibility instead of requiring an all out smoking ban in a venue...
T.Rex

Bags

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2005, 03:29:00 pm »
Originally posted by scoop:
  A few of my polite and professional friends have come to the same conclusion. It's an uptight place for a rock club.

I've been to the club somewhere in the range of 100 times, and I've never experienced or noticed even marginally uptight behavior from staff (okay, one time they wouldn't let me take the rest of my bottle of water outside the club, which I found odd, and they did kind of bark at me, but at the end of the show there's a crowd swarming out so I don't think they have time to be polite).  If anything, they tend to be very helpful up front and completely invisible out on the floor.  And I'm a loud Dem who *sometimes* even drinks too much...You'd think if staff had dick tendencies, I'd have seen it.  I think you should gather all your friends around behind you, and look in that mirror and see what you see, my friend.   ;)

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2005, 03:31:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:
  (okay, one time they wouldn't let me take the rest of my bottle of water outside the club, which I found odd)
Yeah, I've seen this at a few places before. I can understand no water going in, but why the heck would they have a problem with water going out?   :confused:

Bags

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2005, 03:32:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bombay Chutney:
  Ugh.  I would hate that.  That would essentially turn those bars into smoking lounges.
I gotta say ditto.  I love the Red Room, and it's bad enough now.  Imagine if it also became the smoking section for the whole club!  Oy, and the Back Bar -- such a confined space...

Bags

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2005, 03:35:00 pm »
Originally posted by [username edited by p.c. moderator]:

Originally posted by Bags:
  (okay, one time they wouldn't let me take the rest of my bottle of water outside the club, which I found odd)
Yeah, I've seen this at a few places before. I can understand no water going in, but why the heck would they have a problem with water going out?    :confused:  [/b]
I have no idea.  And as I think about it, I was barked at pretty gruffly -- when it should be pretty easy to understand that a patron would assume you could take water outside.  I didn't care about the water, but was surprised they'd assume I know about this slightly odd policy...

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2005, 03:35:00 pm »
  legislation maybe the way to go... but it might be better if venues were allowed to set thier own policy and create smoking/non-smoking areas on thier own.  i.e. at the 9:30 club main room nonsmoking backbar smoking, same with the Black Cat, i'd just spend very little time in the Red Room.
that would be really nice, as this little Betty is about as straightedge as you could get as far as drugs and smoking go (and only straightedge as far as drugs and smoking go!).

weed is one thing.  i doubt they'd ever outlaw cigs at the clubs, but you never know.  regardless of whether cigarettes in general bother me or not, it is understandable that people would want to smoke at a show.  just, please don't be an ass about it.  it annoys the piss out of me when i'm waiting in between bands and two guys come up and completely blow smoke all over your face.  it's always fun to yell "IT SMELLS LIKE LUNG CANCER IN HERE!" and walk away.

xcanuck

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2005, 03:35:00 pm »
But the ostensible reason for the smoking ban is not to protect the health of the patrons but the health of the workers. Having special permits, etc doesn't address that concern. About the only thing that would would be having a special ventilated room that employees would not be required to enter (sorta like those horrible airport smoking lounges).

As as a sidebar: I was in SF earlier this year and there are a small handful of bars where smoking is allowed because the only people that work there are also owners. Nice little loophole.

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2005, 03:41:00 pm »
I must say, if I have the choice between seeing a show at 9:30 or the NorVa (supposing they're both on favorable nights of the week), I'll always take NorVa since they don't allow smoking on the bottom 2 floors.

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2005, 03:42:00 pm »
well, right, but duh health should be an issue.  i obviously subject myself to this when i decide to go to a show; but i mean, look at me.  i've never smoked anything in my life, and never will.  and i probably already have shitty lungs just from going to all the shows that i do.  it sucks.  

but music isn't something i am going to give up just because of some secondhand smoke.

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2005, 03:44:00 pm »
Originally posted by you be betty:
  (and only straightedge as far as drugs and smoking go!)
15? Call me later, we'll talk.   ;)

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2005, 03:46:00 pm »
I know I am very picky about what shows i see at smoking venues because of the smoking. Making clubs non-smoking would certainly make this thrift store bought tan JCrew khaki pants wearing nonsmoker/Kerry voter inclined to attend more shows.

Originally posted by [username edited by p.c. moderator]:
  I must say, if I have the choice between seeing a show at 9:30 or the NorVa (supposing they're both on favorable nights of the week), I'll always take NorVa since they don't allow smoking on the bottom 2 floors.