Author Topic: BJM Roll Call  (Read 6989 times)

poorlulu

Re: BJM Roll Call
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2005, 09:58:00 am »
there wasn't a set list, i'm not sure if they have ever had a set list.......i'm pretty sure anton just plays what he feels like and the band follows on.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2005, 10:08:00 am »
Originally posted by joz:
  bigger venue was definitely in order. got out of work at 8:30 and called to see if it was sold out before i drove down. sure as shit it was. all these people hopping on the fucking dig bandwagon are really starting to piss me off.

anyone have the setlist?
Didn't get off work till 6:15. Knew I wouldn't get there before 8:30-8:45. Didn't even try.   :(

Bags

« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2005, 10:18:00 am »
Out of curiousity, when did folks show up to get in?

markie

« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2005, 10:37:00 am »
Yeah that was cool. Thanks Redsock.

So it was the good sounding serious playing BJM last night. No falling around drunk or hitting Frankie. I think I got some good heckles in but might have just been the really drunk guy at the back sluring and laughing at my own jokes.

What is a Library?

Tom Servo

« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2005, 11:32:00 am »
The show was already sold out when I walked up at 8:05, so I'm guessing the line started pretty early.

snailhook

« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2005, 11:37:00 am »
the promoter should have held the event at a bigger venue.
this is the problem with DC...there are no venues a rock band can play between DC9 (capacity 181) and the black cat (capacity roughly 700). nothing like the ottobar. the birchmere holds something like 550, but is not good for rock bands. so it's either sell out early in a small club and be cramped, or travel to philly or baltimore to see the band.

i saw amps for christ and daniel higgs at the warehouse instead of seeing BJM with a whole bunch of hipsters i'd rather not be around. i've seen BJM enough to know that i wasn't going to miss anything too spectacular, though i'm sure they were good.

poorlulu

« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2005, 11:38:00 am »
Originally posted by canker-blossom:
   sluring and laughing at my own jokes.

What is a Library?
ahem.......YOUR jokes.......!!!!
 i believe that was a lulu original..........

markie

« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2005, 11:54:00 am »
Originally posted by poorlulu:

ahem.......YOUR jokes.......!!!!
 i believe that was a lulu original.......... [/b][/QUOTE]

I guess that is why people laughed.    :(

poorlulu

« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2005, 11:56:00 am »
awwwwww......

that's not true people laugh at you.........  :D

redsock

« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2005, 11:59:00 am »
Last night was great. It sold out right before 8. There were a ton of folks in line by 6:30 actually. It was extremely hot, the bands were all great, DC9 did a great job. And Anton held his shit together. I was a bit concerned after he spent the whole night hazily wandering around from couch to couch. Talked to him a little after the show, heâ??s out there. The rest of the band were great guys, honestly seemed pretty down to earth. Got to hang with some XM Radio folks too. I was pretty damn happy.

« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2005, 12:00:00 pm »
Why not?

Originally posted by snailhook:

i saw amps for christ and daniel higgs at the warehouse instead of seeing BJM with a whole bunch of hipsters i'd rather not be around.  

frostytheswami

« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2005, 07:08:00 pm »
Originally posted by snailhook:

the promoter should have held the event at a bigger venue.
this is the problem with DC...there are no venues a rock band can play between DC9 (capacity 181) and the black cat (capacity roughly 700). nothing like the ottobar. [/b]
Speaking of the Ottobar, BJM are playing there Sept 19th.

SPARX

« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2005, 07:25:00 pm »
Check Anton out jammin with the Dandys at Lollapalooza:   http://www.brianjonestownmassacre.com/mp3.html                                                       From Glorious Noise: 7:45 - The Dandy Warhols (Capitol) - So we didn't get a good place up front to see the Dandies. No biggie, most people were either watching the Killers or they'd died from heat stroke by that time. We got there in time to see them finish up "Bohemian Like You," which is still one of the best songs of that whole neo-psych scene. Oh yeah, I wait tables too. After another poppy song or two, they brought out a couple very special guests to show that a certain recent movie misrepresented their version of reality. Matt Hollywood and Anton Newcombe from the Brian Jonestown massacre came out and they ran through a ragged version of "Oh Lord" with Hollywood on vocal, and then medleyed it into a psychedelic drone jam led by Newcombe and eventually taken over by Courtney Taylor who sort of twisted it into a cover of "What She Said" by the Smiths, chanting, "It took a tattooed boy from Birkenhead," over and over while the band blissed out and Newcombe set down his guitar and hung out backstage, shaking hands and kissing babies (no shit). It was pretty far out, and seemed genuinely spontaneous. At one point the adorable Zia McCabe looked at Taylor as if to say, "What the fuck is going on?" Taylor responded with a smirk and a shrug, like, "Fuck it. Let's go with it. Why not?"

joz

« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2005, 09:35:00 am »
it's pretty telling that no one can name any of the songs they played on thurs. i realize that anton may not have a written setlist, but surely they must have played something recognizable to someone?!

anyway, to second snail, i probably would have been fed up with the hipsters as well and dc is definitely lacking a smaller to mid-size venue like the ottobar. i'm glad to hear they're coming back through in september so i'll have another shot at it. sucks that it's a weeknight tho.

met anton  and matt hollywood at lollapalooza (as an aside, i happened to make him spill his own beer in his lap). he's quite a strange guy, but mesmerizing and utterly charming at the same time.

ratioci nation

« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2005, 09:40:00 am »
Originally posted by joz:
  it's pretty telling that no one can name any of the songs they played on thurs.  
I happen to know they played stolen, and I wasnt even there, probably for the same reason you and Snail didnt go, but I dont know why you and Snail feel the need to take shots at the people who were there