Author Topic: Super sham  (Read 3086 times)

Super sham
« on: January 29, 2003, 01:14:00 pm »
ABC producers promised that the pop stars they recruited for this year's Super Bowl halftime show would do their singing liveâ??no lip-syncing allowed. But what about country star Shania Twain, who seemed to hop around the stage without missing a note?<P>Paul Liszewski, who produced the sound for the show, says Shania's mic was hot and her vocals were live. (Other audio engineers who watched the broadcast agreed.) Twain's accompaniment, however, was what's called a "band in a box," which means the back-up vocals and instrumentals we heard were prerecorded. So while the diva was belting out show-stoppers like "Man, I Feel Like a Woman," her onstage drummer was thrashing away merely for effect. <P> <BR>Other bands use a different mix of taped and live elements, depending on the nature of the show. At a dance-heavy concert where the lead singer does exhausting choreography, we might hear a tape of the lead vocal track. At an event like the Super Bowl, where sound engineers have five minutesâ??rather than the usual six or eight hoursâ??to set up, bands are more likely to rely on tape. During No Doubt and Sting's halftime sets, we were also hearing live vocals and canned instrumentals. Last year, when U2 played, we heard both Bono's voice and the Edge's guitar live, though the rhythm section was prerecorded.<BR>

Santos L. Halper

Re: Super sham
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2003, 06:11:00 pm »
There's no way Shania was singing at the Super Bowl, unless she's also a ventriloquist.  There were moments when you could cleary hear her voice singing but her lips weren't moving.  At least that's what I'm told, I was focused more on her outfit.

Sir HC

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2003, 06:17:00 pm »
She could well have been singing, but just not very loud.  Often they will have more than just a backing track going.  Here is what I have to say:<P>1.  There were no monitors out where she was in the audience.<BR>2.  She wasn't wearing in ear monitors.<BR>3.  There is no way you can stay on key or even work with the delayed sound from the PA in such cases.<P>Given this, she couldn't do it without lipsyning parts of the performance, it was all too crystal clear, no audience noise from her microphone, and when in the audience she was able to sing without moving her lips.

Ikarus

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2003, 07:07:00 pm »
personally, i like the attention to detail on the afc championship game halftime show.  ll cool j's dj was scratching naked platters.<P>and we all know how bad that is.<p>[This message has been edited by Ikarus (edited 01-29-2003).]

solchalawa

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2003, 12:42:00 pm »
people actually watch halftime shows?

mankie

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2003, 01:07:00 pm »
People actually watch runny-catchy?

Sir HC

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2003, 01:47:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mankie:<BR><B>People actually watch runny-catchy?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Watch?  No.  Have on in the background while drinking beer, yes.

ggw

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2003, 01:52:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mankie:<BR><B>People actually watch runny-catchy?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>It's much better than runny-kicky.

keithstg

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2003, 02:20:00 pm »
The super bowl, as with the rest of football, is a waste of time.