Author Topic: Best show you saw at the Bayou  (Read 7668 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: Best show you saw at the Bayou
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2005, 07:22:00 pm »
Repeating myself as I only went a couple times before it closed and moving here in 97...

But Smithereens "Especially For You" tenth anniversary show where the band did the album front to back... Wow what a show

Got to see Too Much Joy before they self combusted, heard the story about how they got visited by the Secret Service...
T.Rex

mrpee

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2005, 08:41:00 pm »
Richard Thompson circa '83 mebbe '84 or even '85, I dunno. Anyway, Ubu's David Thomas opened the show by telling stories, many while holding an egg in the palm of his hand. Thompson and his band --couldn't have been 'Hand of Kindness' tour could it?---
 were all wearing running shorts and t-shirts that were made at like Spencer's Gifts or something, bearing a slogan trumpeting RT's running prowess. Maybe Jim Fixx showed up for the encore? Nah, he mighta been dead by then. RIP Jimmy! After a show with some stunning guitar solos, "Calvary Cross" fer shure, my friend and I were assaulted by a group of Marines up on M Street for looking too "new wave". Never shoulda tried to get into Winston's...

bearman🐻

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2005, 09:02:00 pm »
I didn't get to see many shows there...the most memorable was the Judybats.

beetsnotbeats

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2005, 12:43:00 am »
Waterboys, BAD, Richard Thompson (late 80s).

Chip Chanko

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2005, 12:59:00 am »
Originally posted by bearman:
  I didn't get to see many shows there...the most memorable was the Judybats.
I think I must have gone to this one, too. I'm pretty sure I saw them every time they came to town but only remember up in that weird room at Georgetown (jellyfish also played there at one point) and at the old Birchmere.

Jaguär

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2005, 03:26:00 am »
The Robert Gordon show wasn't bad.

Saw The Fixx there too back in the late 80s and they were pretty good.

Best of all though was Midge Ure.
 (Midge may have played on the same bill as The Fixx but I'm not sure of that.)

boweswana

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2005, 07:34:00 am »
One of the most enjoyable shows was Life, Sex and Death opening for Lynch Mob, the horrendous solo band put together by Dokken's guitarist George Lynch.  LSD's was a power rock band from L.A. that had a creepy supposed homeless guy named Stanley as their singer.  It was schticky but cool and they were a really good band for that time and style of music.  LSD starts out and the hair farmers are all "what the fuck is this" and all'a that and within five minutes they blow the roof off the place and have the place going nuts.  Stanley made fun of George Lynch the entire show.

So they finish up and Lynch Mob comes onstage with big fans strategically positioned by the monitors to blow their hair around.  Compared to LSD they were pretty pathetic and the crowd started chanting "Stanley Stanley Stanley" between and during every song.

Lynch Mob's singer got upset and in one of the worst lead singer moments I have ever seen yelled, "FUCK THAT HOMELESS ASSHOLE" and stomped offstage to a loud chorus of boos...show over.  All of a sudden from the balcony you hear Stanley in full weirdo voice yell, "Hey that girl with the pretty hair wants to fuck me!!!"

Maybe you had to be there but it was fully entertaining.

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2005, 07:35:00 am »
Originally posted by SPARX:
  Todd Rundgren playing with Ian Hunter in the same band at a benefit for John Anderson's Presidential campaign.They played both Todd and Ian's songs and also some of their favorite songs by other artists.Still have the T-shirt.
that was at the Ontario Theatre

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2005, 07:39:00 am »
speaking of which...

best show show you saw at the Ontario?

Paul Styrene

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2005, 09:44:00 am »
X with the movie URGH!, Bow Wow Wow w/Bush Tetras, Simple Minds w/Martha and the Muffins were all good shows.  

Anabella's halter top breaking and her asking the audience if anyone had a safety pin was amusing.

Dr. Anton Phibes

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2005, 09:58:00 am »
Originally posted by Seth Hurwitz:
  speaking of which...

best show show you saw at the Ontario?
One of the most memorable would have to be the Frankie Goes to Hollywood show on election night 1984....the height of Frankiemania....Paul Rutherford donning a Reagan mask and burying his head in Holly Johnson's crotch during "Two Tribes".....the place went ballistic!.....then the after party at Cagney's....good times....also great shows there by the Psychedelic Furs on the "Forever Now" tour and also The Cure for "The Top".....

Bags

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2005, 10:29:00 am »
Originally posted by Chip Chanko:
  I think I must have gone to this one, too. I'm pretty sure I saw them every time they came to town but only remember up in that weird room at Georgetown (jellyfish also played there at one point) and at the old Birchmere.
I was at that Jellyfish show...weird space.

FYI, Judybats are at the Rams Head in Annapolis on Friday, Aug 19.  I saw them at a street fair in Chicago last weekend and it was fantastic.  If you can get out, I highly recommend it.  I'm at table 107!!

Bags

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2005, 10:33:00 am »
Originally posted by Jonas Grumby:
  the after party at Cagney's....
Man, Cagney's was so awesome.  Thursday was 'college music' night (things like R.E.M., Echo, Connells...stuff you barely even heard on WHFS back when it was good).  And $5 pitchers.  Man, as a recent grad, it was the best I could have hoped for in a place to hang out....

bearman🐻

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2005, 11:06:00 am »
hi Bags, I'm table 300...what did they play? "Convalescing in Spain"? God I would love to hear that song.

Bags

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2005, 11:20:00 am »
Yes, they did play "Convalescing in Spain," in fact.  They played a lot -- over an hour and a half.  Everything I would have wanted except "Margot Known as Missy."  I never got their self-released Judybats '00 album, but they played several songs I didn't know -- at least 5.

Cool, bearman -- you're virtually right beside us!