Author Topic: Most Overrated Bands  (Read 4972 times)

Bombay Chutney

Re: Most Overrated Bands
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2004, 04:01:00 pm »
The White Stripes

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2004, 04:03:00 pm »
Journey
 Rush
 Heart
 Peter Frampton

sonickteam2

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2004, 04:06:00 pm »
Wilco
  The Strokes
  Eminem
  Sigur Ros

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2004, 04:06:00 pm »
Megadeth
 Bon Jovi
 Poison

sonickteam2

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2004, 04:08:00 pm »
where's the real markie anyway?

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2004, 04:09:00 pm »
David Bowie

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2004, 04:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by marquee smith:

Originally posted by distance:
  KISS
Good choice. [/b]
I'd argue that KISS are actually underrated.  At one time, they were a great band, but they never got taken seriously (for obvious reasons, which they brought on themselves).  Good-time-party-rock-and-roll.  They were great at it.

sonickteam2

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2004, 04:14:00 pm »
actually, you know what.  i have always though the Beach Boys were a bit overrated.

i know people think they are influential, but really, i think their music sucks and just dont hear anything like it in most of the music i like.

unless they trademarked the high pitch voice ala Ben Folds/ Ted Leo.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2004, 04:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:
  actually, you know what.  i have always though the Beach Boys were a bit overrated.

i know people think they are influential, but really, i think their music sucks and just dont hear anything like it in most of the music i like.

totally agree...
T.Rex

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2004, 04:20:00 pm »
I'm listening to track 8 on Pet Sounds right now (God Only Knows), and it's really hard to deny that song (among others on that album) ...

I agree though, they can start to grate on you, especially their early stuff and especially if you listen to them for an extended period of time ...

All that said, Pet Sounds really stands up as a classic album.

Anyone get SMiLE today?

(o|o)

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2004, 04:35:00 pm »

do you listen to indie pop?  beulah? the thrills? apples in stereo? they're all direct descendents

they trademarked "california pop", plus their harmonies were really groundbreaking for rock music ... i think people did the falsetto before they did though ...
(o|o)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2004, 04:59:00 pm »
i've often said i preferred beach boy/brian wilson influenced bands over the orginial.... no doubt brian wilson was geniuns in the studio and great arranger, however he wasn't the best songwriter in the world.  and "god only knows" maybe to one of the few songs that dosen't make me cringe.
T.Rex

Lazer Guided Melodies

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2004, 06:52:00 pm »
I have to agree that Radiohead are one of the most overrated bands, ever.

sonickteam2

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2004, 07:00:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaSaxa03:
 do you listen to indie pop?  beulah? the thrills? apples in stereo? they're all direct descendents

i listen to VERY little indie pop.  very little.

like, almost none actually. but i do know the Thrills sound like the Beach Boys. but the Thrills are also a "C average" band in my book.

PigIron

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2004, 07:17:00 pm »
U2 is the most utterly uninteresting band ever created.  And the most pompous.  Nothing more annoying than a tired, unoriginal retard who thinks his lyrics are saving the world.  The band's musical ability is painfully overrated and the last few records are radio-friendly, undemanding, overproduced crap.  And all four of them should have been locked in a steel crate and launched into outer space for making that completely unbearable techno record a few years back.

Add to the list:
 Dave Matthews Band
 Morrissey
 Radiohead
 The 400,000 retro sound bands that sound shamelessly like the Stooges and other 70s bands - Jet, the Hives, etc.