Author Topic: Underwhelming albums of 2007 (so far!)  (Read 7244 times)

Re: Underwhelming albums of 2007 (so far!)
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2007, 12:32:00 pm »
I disagree completely.

Originally posted by HBAG:
  Wilco's Sky Blue Sky-though not actually released yet, it was leaked weeks ago. Uncle Tupelo fans take note-Son Volt's new one seems to be a more interesting disc overall. Farrar's experimenting with a fuller sound and most of the time it works.

bnyced0

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2007, 12:49:00 pm »
At first blush the new Bloc Party didn't grab me, but it has gotten better with every listen to the point I think it's brillant.

sonickteam2

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2007, 12:50:00 pm »
i'm disappointed in Radiohead's new album

oh yeah, they didnt put one out!!! they only put albums out on leap years now!

bnyced0

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2007, 12:50:00 pm »
Originally posted by Brandon Brendall, the thief:
  Bloc Party - A Weekend In the City

If it wasn't so underwhelming, I might have considered getting tickets to their show at DAR, but this coupled with their history of underwhelming live shows, it's just not worth it to me.
Just curious, how many underwhelming live Bloc Party shows have you personally been to?

sonickteam2

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2007, 12:53:00 pm »
Originally posted by bnyced0:
  At first blush the new Bloc Party didn't grab me, but it has gotten better with every listen to the point I think it's brillant.
i really think brilliant is going a bit far!

fun, exciting, energetic, infectous...maybe, but brilliant seems like it would imply some sort of originality and innovative---ness.

lagas

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2007, 01:05:00 pm »
I hate Guns and Roses Chinese democracy...no, wait...
 I think that this album will be released when we can actually  see democracy in China...
zorra

Bagley

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2007, 01:26:00 pm »
charlie, explain your views on wilco/son volt, please

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2007, 01:35:00 pm »
I like the sparer, more organic 70s-ish vibe of Sky Blue Sky. Although there were a couple of decent songs on the new Son Volt, none approached anything on Trace, or for that matter, Okemah. I don't think experimentation is a good thing, when it comes to country music. Horns may have worked for Johnny Cash, but I don't think it works for Jay Farrar. He just repeats that one damn obvious horn line over and over in that one song, and they don't seem to add anything to the song, other than for people to go, "Wow look at Jay, experimenting with the horns."

I do prefer Okemah to Ghost, if that's any consolation.

Originally posted by HBAG:
  charlie, explain your views on wilco/son volt, please

vansmack

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2007, 02:03:00 pm »
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - Some Loud Thunder
27>34

beetsnotbeats

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2007, 02:12:00 pm »
Modest Mouse: eh, so far; still haven't listened again though.

I recently picked up Muse (Target had it for 7.99) based upon so much praise on this board. Not pleased.

James Murphy had a lot to prove with his second LCD. It's better than it needed to be.

Bagley

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2007, 02:30:00 pm »
Couldn't get into Okemah and loved Ghost.  I do agree that Trace was best by far but I think there are some hints of that sound on the new one-methamphetamine, for example.  Also agree about the horn part-not the most complex riffs but at least it's something new and different. By the way, never really thought of this sound as "country" though they get the alt-country label-see them more as folk/rock groups.  As far as the new Wilco goes, they are not where I want to go for a nice sounding mellow vibe.  Liked Tweedy best when he was angry.

palahniukkubrick

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2007, 02:40:00 pm »
I'm with vansmack on this one, the new clap your hands sucks.

As for Neon Bible, I like it a lot, but it isn't nearly as good as Funeral.

alex

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2007, 03:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by bnyced0:

Originally posted by Brandon Brendall, the thief:
  Bloc Party - A Weekend In the City

If it wasn't so underwhelming, I might have considered getting tickets to their show at DAR, but this coupled with their history of underwhelming live shows, it's just not worth it to me.
Just curious, how many underwhelming live Bloc Party shows have you personally been to? [/b]
Two.  They weren't bad or anything, but with the energy on their first album you'd expect them to actually be a little interesting on stage and not just blow through the set as if they were doing a chore.

kookiemnstr8

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2007, 06:20:00 pm »
Bloc Party, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah.

and while Neon Bible isn't as good as funeral, thats a damn hard act to follow and i still think its a stellar album.

myuman

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2007, 08:41:00 pm »
Just wondering what ear filter do I need to purchase to make a AF album sound good that sounds like it was recorded in a pool full of water before being heard on my end while having a major head cold?  So yeah... I second, fourth, fifth or whatever we are up to the Arcade Fire album.