Author Topic: DJ Shadow / Cut Chemist last night  (Read 1616 times)

taperkat

DJ Shadow / Cut Chemist last night
« on: January 25, 2008, 12:20:00 pm »
was fucking amazing, hands down.

Also, major kudos to teh staff for ejecting this stupid bint that was near the speakers on the left front. I'm not sure if you heard, but about 20 of us cheered and clapped.

Kid Koala was really damn good too. This was a show that was fucking awesome, I loved it. And was definitely worth my money.

PS: omnom panini.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: DJ Shadow / Cut Chemist last night
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 01:00:00 pm »
i thought the show itself was so-so.  good at times, meh at others.  they're obviously incredible mixers, but i didn't feel that they did that much - and definitely could have provided more danceable beats.  laying the theme from gilligan's island over "stairway to heaven" was way cool.  the crowd was obviously eating it up, good energy.

that was the most hook-up'y show i have ever seen at the club.  seemed like wherever i looked, it was drunk frat boy chatting/kissing/feeling up drunk chick.  speaking of chatting, the din of a thousand conversations on the floor was almost unbearable.  hard to believe that some people paid $35 to get in and proceeded to yell into each other's ears boring shit that they could otherwise talk about after the show, instead of actually paying attention to the show.  one person behind me had no idea who was on stage or what they were doing, and was then the target of 3 different guys trying to explain to her what dj'ing, mixing, etc is all about.  t'was sweet.
<sig>

karigom

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 01:07:00 pm »
Awesome show, not so great crowd.

Being in my early 30's, I was a bit surprised to see such a young crowd (the average age seemed to be 22!).  This in of itself would not have been a problem, but most were just there to grind each other, make out heavily or just talk very loudly.  Definitely took away from my enjoyment of the show. I expected most to be familiar with the dj's, or at least interested in really checking them out.

Kudos to Koala, Shadow and Cut Chemist though!!!!!

taperkat

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 01:15:00 pm »
Yeah, I was shocked at the crowd. I'm 27, but have been following Shadow for years and years, and was just shocked at how young everyone was.

and as for the grinding and hanging on, I saw a lot of it, but I was dancing with my friend the entire night and kept to ourselves. It was really pretty enjoyable for me.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 01:28:00 pm »
Originally posted by sweetcell:
   laying the theme from gilligan's island over "stairway to heaven" was way cool.  the crowd was obviously eating it up, good energy.
Didn't someone do that like 20+ years ago?  I swear I remember that from when I was a kid.

Giles

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 11:00:00 am »
Originally posted by Bombay Chutney:

Originally posted by sweetcell:
   laying the theme from gilligan's island over "stairway to heaven" was way cool.  the crowd was obviously eating it up, good energy.
Didn't someone do that like 20+ years ago?  I swear I remember that from when I was a kid. [/b]
Coldcut a few years back at their 9:30 show did a video/song dance remix of Disney's The Jungle Book's "I Wan'na Be Like You (The Monkey Song)" to amazing effect - now that was memorable show !!!