Author Topic: elec. guitar and used cd stores suggestions?  (Read 2417 times)

Frank Gallagher

Re: elec. guitar and used cd stores suggestions?
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2005, 11:20:00 am »
Originally posted by Lost Soul:
  Most CD stores have new releases AND used discs.  CD Cellar is only used.  I look for a store that can cater to all of my music needs, not just what I've needed in the past.

Originally posted by Roadbike Mankie:

Are you crazy?  Cd cellar is terrible.  Sure, it's great for picking up that $2 springsteen cd that your dog ate, but try to find a new release in that store and you're more likely to locate Jimmy Hoffa.

My opinion.
Why would you go to a 'used' cd store to look for a 'new release' cd??

...doesn't that defeat the purpose of a 'used' cd store??

Just wondering.. [/b]
[/b]
Oh, okay...it's just that, for me anyway, the fun of a used cd store is having a good old search finding that hidden treasure or guilty pleasure. May as well just go to Virgin, HMV or even Best Buy for the new stuff.

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2005, 11:25:00 am »
Agreed.

Though it's better to buy new albums off of the artist's website, if they're not on a major label, so that the money goes directly to the artist instead of HMV, etc.

Most CD stores have new releases AND used discs.  CD Cellar is only used.  I look for a store that can cater to all of my music needs, not just what I've needed in the past.

Are you crazy?  Cd cellar is terrible.  Sure, it's great for picking up that $2 springsteen cd that your dog ate, but try to find a new release in that store and you're more likely to locate Jimmy Hoffa.

My opinion.
Why would you go to a 'used' cd store to look for a 'new release' cd??

...doesn't that defeat the purpose of a 'used' cd store??

Just wondering.. [/b]
[/b]
Oh, okay...it's just that, for me anyway, the fun of a used cd store is having a good old search finding that hidden treasure or guilty pleasure. May as well just go to Virgin, HMV or even Best Buy for the new stuff. [/b]

LostSoul

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2005, 11:48:00 am »
Yes, completely agree.  I would rather give cash to the bands than to their labels, or another distro outlet (ie. Best Buy, Amazon, blah blah).

Originally posted by Xavier Bush, Power Forward:
 [QB] Agreed.

Though it's better to buy new albums off of the artist's website, if they're not on a major label, so that the money goes directly to the artist instead of HMV, etc.

jeffnar

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2005, 02:37:00 pm »
hey all, thanx for the extra info.

per the music buying subdiscussion: yes, there are the HMV/tower/et al biggies which i mostly avoid. and there's amazon/ebay, but i need the ritual of browsing, as some of you have mentioned, whether it's a 1.99 bargain, a rare treasure or guilty pleasure (well put, rbmankie) or even leaving empty-handed. thus the request for used cd or small indie shops in my new locale.

i've got Melody and crooked beat nearby, cd and game xchange, cdepot in DC/Md, and sveral cd cellars in Va. that's a great list, thanks!

per the instruments stores, i've got: ME/Veneman, atomic, southworth, guitar shop, action music. also a great list!

per the unused instrument thread- i loved the 3 violins across the atlantic tidbit.

quote:
 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Originally posted by edbert:
 I'm considering it a milestone of maturity, to be able to admit to myself that I'll never be able to play it.
 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Originally posted by p011@rd:
 never give up! I am moving guitars across the country that I will never be able to play, hang on to the impossible dream   :D  
great stuff!

if you think you might resume it as a hobby or destressor, keep the ole axes around. if you think your subconscious is holding on to the dream, keep 'em around. hell, fresh off a big move, i wonder why i'm carting around 8 large boxes of books that i've had forever and prob'ly won't get around to reading or re-reading.

anyway, thanks for the great list of places in the area!!

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2005, 03:01:00 pm »
CHUCK LEVINS!!!!!  in Rockville/Gaithersburg/Kensington.  Chuck's is like...Jesus.  i mean they have everything.  they have like three or four different stores...i get lots of guitar gear there, and as well my PA system and junk.  they really do have everything.

and Atomic has already been mentioned, i believe?  Atomic Music rules, though.  lots of really cool stuff there if you're into collecting and whatnot.  and even if you're not...they have a ton of awesome gear, good prices, nice staff, etc. etc.

there's also a Guitar Center in Rockville; which i would check as a last resort...but the first two are definitely better.

jeffnar

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2005, 03:37:00 pm »
you be betty,
 chuck's sounds like a keeper. i'm not into collecting, i just need to update some gear, have the strat worked on, maybe get a backup guitar, a new stompbox or 2, find a smaller practice cabinet....in short, tune-up my guitar and rig so i can start forming a new live unit in my new town. chuck's and atomic, supplemented with the washingtoncitypaper ads, seem like the way to go.

if they satisfy you as a working guitarist/p.a. user, and have lots of great stuff, those places sound highly recommended. thnx!

Sir HC

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2005, 04:00:00 pm »
Oh and in the back Atomic does have a guitar repair shop.

you be betty

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2005, 04:11:00 pm »
yeees.  i've been playing around with bands (guitar and vocals) for quite a few years now, and have found everything i've ever needed, collectively, between Chuck Levin's, Atomic Music, and Guitar Center.  happy hunting   :cool:

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2005, 04:14:00 pm »
How many years is "quite a few years"?   ;)  

Originally posted by you be betty:
  yeees.  i've been playing around with bands (guitar and vocals) for quite a few years now, and have found everything i've ever needed, collectively, between Chuck Levin's, Atomic Music, and Guitar Center.  happy hunting    :cool:  

you be betty

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2005, 07:33:00 pm »
Originally posted by Xavier Bush, Power Forward:
  How many years is "quite a few years"?    ;)  

Originally posted by you be betty:
  yeees.  i've been playing around with bands (guitar and vocals) for quite a few years now, and have found everything i've ever needed, collectively, between Chuck Levin's, Atomic Music, and Guitar Center.  happy hunting     :cool:  
[/b]
it's about four or five years!  that's the equivalent of any of you 60-year olds playing around for 20!

ohhhhh pwnnnnn  :cool:

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2005, 09:21:00 am »
Also try Joe's Record Paradise in Rockville, some new mostly used.

CDepot in College Park has hit or miss new stuff, good back catalog for established acts, only issue is a lot of their used stuff is a whole lot cheaper elsewhere i.e. no bargin bin stuff.

best indie stores are closer to Baltimore Soundgarden and Record & Tape Traders
T.Rex

Sir HC

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2005, 10:09:00 am »
Yep, the only place I have been to better than Soundgarden is Amoeba in SF and Berkley.

you be betty

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2005, 03:22:00 pm »
Originally posted by Sir HC:
  Yep, the only place I have been to better than Soundgarden is Amoeba in SF and Berkley.
yeah; you could do what i do!
 make trips to LA every 3-4 months, and lug all your cds back from Amoeba...that place simply cannot be beat.