Author Topic: WHFS is now......a salsa channel?  (Read 57084 times)

andyrichter

WHFS is now......a salsa channel?
« on: January 12, 2005, 01:49:00 pm »
check www.whfs.com

then check this out

http://www.dcrtv.org/

January 12, 2005 INFINITY BROADCASTING LAUNCHES SPANISH-LANGUAGE STATION IN WASHINGTON, D.C. "El Zol" 99.1 FM To Feature A Mix Of Salsa, Merengue and Bachata..... Infinity Broadcasting announced today the launch of a new Spanish-language radio station in Washington, D.C. "El Zol" 99.1 WHFS-FM will play a current hit blend of Caribbean and Central American dance music and is targeted to adults 25-54. The station launched today at 12:00 Noon. Spanish Broadcasting System, Inc. served as a consultant to and advised Infinity on the reformatting of the station. Infinity previously announced a joint strategic alliance with SBS in October 2004 which included an equity interest in the largest Hispanic-controlled radio broadcasting company in the United States. "We have made clear our desire to expand into this burgeoning market and believe this move marks an important step in our commitment to Spanish radio," said Joel Hollander, President and Chief Operating Officer, Infinity Broadcasting. "There exists a tremendous opportunity for Infinity to launch a Spanish-language format in Washington, D.C. where almost 10% of the population is not being directly served. El Zol will be the most powerful Spanish radio station in the area and will provide listeners with the music, entertainment and information relevant to the many segments of the Latino culture." The Hispanic population in Washington, D.C. has grown more than 25% in the last four years to an excess of 400,000, and is expected to continue to be the fastest growing segment of the metro area in the coming years. During the station's initial launch phase, El Zol will play hits from such artists as Juan Luis Guerra, Marc Anthony, Hermanos Rosario, Monchy Y Alexandra, and Victor Manuelle, among others. On-air personalities will be announced at a later date. Infinity is one of the largest major-market radio operators in the United States, with stations covering the news, modern rock, oldies, country, FM talk, classic rock and urban formats, among others. A division of Viacom Inc. (NYSE: VIA and VIAB), Infinity operates 183 radio stations, the majority of which are in the nation's top 50 markets and reach more than 70 million listeners a week. Additionally, Infinity is home to 29 of the country's leading sports franchises amongst MLB, the NFL, the NBA and the NHL.

bellenseb

Re: WHFS is now......a salsa channel?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 01:50:00 pm »
This is for the best. It was time to put WHFS to rest now that it had completely tarnished its legacy beyond all recognition.

markie

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 01:51:00 pm »
Umm I just came back for lunch and was listening to the radio, I thought it was a joke.......

Random Citizen

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 01:54:00 pm »
Wow.

hitman

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 01:55:00 pm »
was there a mention of this before this article was written?  i don't remember hearing anything about this.

thirsty moore

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005, 01:55:00 pm »
The Spanish Armada has fought off the British Navy!

andyrichter

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2005, 01:56:00 pm »
Originally posted by bellenseb:
  This is for the best. It was time to put WHFS to rest now that it had completely tarnished its legacy beyond all recognition.
I agree.  The whole "alternative" moniker they've attached to their name has been the biggest running joke in a long time.  Now all we got to do is run DC101 off the air and people will actually have to go out of their way to find good music.  Good times all around!

vansmack

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2005, 01:56:00 pm »
Should have tried the ADD Hour.
27>34

TomJaworski

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2005, 01:57:00 pm »
wow. that was sudden. won't bother me none.

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2005, 01:58:00 pm »
Pretty obvious they weren't making much money with the station. Target audience of 11-21 year olds and giving away half the tickets to their big events, I can see why it finally bellied up!

It hasn't been the same "True" alternative station since the day Dameon left...

MindCage
 Mindless Faith
 Deep6 Productions
3MTA3

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2005, 02:09:00 pm »
Did Damian actually play good music on WHFS? When he went to WRNR, he played mostly crap there (compared to the other dj's), and it was music of his own choosing.

Now WRNR is crap, but I've discovered www.wtmd.org from Towson to be pretty good.

Originally posted by MindCage:
  Pretty obvious they weren't making much money with the station. Target audience of 11-21 year olds and giving away half the tickets to their big events, I can see why it finally bellied up!

It hasn't been the same "True" alternative station since the day Dameon left...

MindCage
 Mindless Faith
 Deep6 Productions

bbbsmith

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2005, 02:10:00 pm »
WhooHoo!  Now we may actually get tickets for shows instead of having to kiss the asses of the 99.1 screeners to even attempt to get tix to certain shows.

Good effing riddance!  I have not listened to 99.1 in years...so hopefully this trend will continue and soon Don and Mike, Elliott and a few others will finally be moved from the airwaves!

Glad I have my XM radio...opie and anthony make my morning and I still need to find a solid channel for music during the afternoons...but I will settle for this.

LRHippo

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2005, 02:14:00 pm »
WTF??? I just won a Dell laptop from them last week, but haven't been given any info on when/where I can pick it up....I'll be uber pissed if I don't get it!

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2005, 02:15:00 pm »
Dave Hughes, DCRTV's sole proprietor, has been predicting this for at least two years. Having been a reader of DCRTV for at least six years, this is absolutely no surprise to me, not even the suddenness.
😐 🎶

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2005, 02:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by andyrichter:

Originally posted by bellenseb:
I agree.  The whole "alternative" moniker they've attached to their name has been the biggest running joke in a long time.  Now all we got to do is run DC101 off the air and people will actually have to go out of their way to find good music.  Good times all around! [/b]
this will never happen... too many people want to be spoon fed thier music.

All this ensures is that artists like The White Stripes will never even have the slightest chance of breaking on the radio as the number of outlets is shirking.  Rock, Alternative, Classic Rock Radio stations just become even narrowier in thier  programming.

Unless a Z104 type station picks up an "rock" act and plops in the mainstream its business as usual. I'm thinking Modest Mouse, Scissor Sisters...

Not really hard to believe given how much rack space is given to Spanish language artists in the big retailers like Circuit City and Target.

Eventually DVDs will push out all but the chart toppers and popular niche stuff out of the Big Boxes.
T.Rex