Author Topic: RadioHead - Merriweather Post Pavilion  (Read 41322 times)

Bags

Re: RadioHead - Merriweather Post Pavilion
« Reply #120 on: August 21, 2003, 11:38:00 am »
Originally posted by lefty:

Originally posted by sonickteam2:
 really? I just heard Stephen Malkmus.
Seing Stephen Malkmus would have been great -- because then i'd have been there in enough time to photograph radiohead.  The pavement reference was aimed more at the road I was laying (while taking the above picture) than it was at the former [pavement] front man. [/b]
I thought it was a very clever pun myself, and enjoyed your initial comment immensely!

sonickteam2

« Reply #121 on: August 21, 2003, 11:38:00 am »
Originally posted by Mr. Wet Blanket:

don't bring him down man [/b]
lol....sorry   :p

sonickteam2

« Reply #122 on: August 21, 2003, 11:42:00 am »

Seing Stephen Malkmus would have been great -- because then i'd have been there in enough time to photograph radiohead.  The pavement reference was aimed more at the road I was laying (while taking the above picture) than it was at the former [pavement] front man. [/b]
i know, i was just being silly and i had to call attention to the cool pun  :)

mankie

« Reply #123 on: August 21, 2003, 11:43:00 am »
Originally posted by eros:
  Agree it was great, but....

what kind of rock show ends at 9:45???
I believe there's some local bylaw that says all shows at Merriweather must end by 10pm and 11pm on weekends....not Thom Thumb's fault on that I'm afraid.

paige

« Reply #124 on: August 21, 2003, 11:45:00 am »
Originally posted by bags:

I thought it was a very clever pun myself, and enjoyed your initial comment immensely! [/b]
so did i! brought a smile to my face.  :)

mjnova

« Reply #125 on: August 21, 2003, 11:46:00 am »
Originally posted by mankie:

I believe there's some local bylaw that says all shows at Merriweather must end by 10pm and 11pm on weekends....not Thom Thumb's fault on that I'm afraid. [/b]
Honestly, why even try.  Why have a venue where shows have to end before a normal concert anywhere else even begins?  Whatta waste.  Knock it down.

« Reply #126 on: August 21, 2003, 11:52:00 am »
Some of us actually have jobs where we have to get out of bed in the morning. I would mind if every concert started at 8 and was done by 11.

paige

« Reply #127 on: August 21, 2003, 11:55:00 am »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  Some of us actually have jobs where we have to get out of bed in the morning. I would mind if every concert started at 8 and was done by 11.
i agree... well, with a lot of situations. it would be nice to get home before 2 am sometimes, especially if you have to wake up before 11 am. sometimes it's nice being able to take your time with dinner, etc before a show, but i would rather get a nice night's sleep. i think i'm too old for my years. i sound like an old man.

mankie

« Reply #128 on: August 21, 2003, 11:57:00 am »
Actually, I've been to tons of shows at 930 and been home by midnight'ish..quit yer bitchin!

sonickteam2

« Reply #129 on: August 21, 2003, 12:02:00 pm »
Originally posted by mankie:

I believe there's some local bylaw that says all shows at Merriweather must end by 10pm and 11pm on weekends....not Thom Thumb's fault on that I'm afraid. [/b]
you might be right mank....cause when they cam out for thier 2nd encore (at about 9:25pm) some guy was yelling to Thom and then Thom pointed at his watch and nodded....dont know what that was for but who knows...maybe they want to end shows ASAP to quell the bitching Columbia residents from wanting to tear down the joint.

Bags

« Reply #130 on: August 21, 2003, 12:51:00 pm »
The 9:30 Club does a really good job of hitting the right times during the week.  I'm usually home by 12:00 (granted, I live 10 minutes away).  And still they start late enough that I can grab a bite and get there.  It really is a fine line; I can't stay out until 2:00 on a 'school night' anymore either.  But I also can't get to bumfuck MD or VA by 7:00 in two hours of traffic.  

When the Tyde played Velvet Lounge on a Sunday night, their actual set time was midnight!  I couldn't do it (turns out they went on far earlier, of course, but I couldn't take the chance they'd go on later).

« Reply #131 on: August 21, 2003, 01:00:00 pm »
Iota does a good lob of starting shows early as well.

I think it's Black Cat and Velvet Lounge that start the shows too late. They probably figure all of the record store clerk hipsters that go the shows there don't have to get up early anyway.

jadetree

« Reply #132 on: August 21, 2003, 01:11:00 pm »

I think it's Black Cat and Velvet Lounge that start the shows too late. They probably figure all of the record store clerk hipsters that go the shows there don't have to get up early anyway.
The Black Cat is fairly good about keeping on schedule, nowhere near as bad as Velvet Lounge.  Nobody at the Velvet Lounge ever knows what time bands are playing or even which band is headlining.  There really isn't a schedule at the Velvet Lounge.

« Reply #133 on: August 21, 2003, 01:14:00 pm »
Yes, they do a good job of keeping on scedule, but what time is the weeknight headliner generally scheduled for?

Originally posted by Mr. Wet Blanket:

The Black Cat is fairly good about keeping on schedule, nowhere near as bad as Velvet Lounge.  Nobody at the Velvet Lounge ever knows what time bands are playing or even which band is headlining.  There really isn't a schedule at the Velvet Lounge. [/b]

jadetree

« Reply #134 on: August 21, 2003, 01:17:00 pm »
  Yes, they do a good job of keeping on scedule, but what time is the weeknight headliner generally scheduled for?

Doors open for "Mainstage" shows at 8:30 on weekdays and 9:30 on weekends. The opening band starts 1/2 hour later.