Author Topic: "Be Here Now" albums  (Read 9309 times)

Firebutt McGee

  • Member
  • Posts: 1114
Re: "Be Here Now" albums
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2008, 08:35:00 pm »
"Volta" - Bjork
Woof.

Mobius

  • Member
  • Posts: 1227
Re: "Be Here Now" albums
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2008, 09:13:00 pm »
Wasn't 'Be Here Now' pretty much dead on arrival?

azaghal1981

  • Member
  • Posts: 12034
Re: "Be Here Now" albums
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2008, 12:22:00 am »
I guess this one is more of a prediction because it's still fluffed beyond belief:
 
 LCD Soundsystem - Sound Of Silver
 
 
 One day, I'll wake up and the rest of the music-listening world will come to their senses re: this album.
احمد

Vas Deferens

  • Member
  • Posts: 8991
Re: "Be Here Now" albums
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2008, 10:01:00 am »
Critics are split on this album...
 
 
Quote
Originally posted by ixkpd-bk:
  "Volta" - Bjork
(_|_)

yinzer

  • Member
  • Posts: 308
Re: "Be Here Now" albums
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2008, 10:59:00 am »
Quote
Wasn't 'Be Here Now' pretty much dead on arrival?  
at its release, i think it had the largest first week UK sales ever.  US sales were huge - not as huge per capita at all, but big sales nevertheless.  there are some very good songs on it and some real doozies.  a lot of the tracks are way too long and certainly overproduced.  it's their coke album.
 
 definitely maybe sounds really slow now, for the most part.  they play it live about 25% - 50% faster.

Brian_Wallace

  • Member
  • Posts: 1484
Re: "Be Here Now" albums
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2008, 11:01:00 am »
Quote
Originally posted by Julian, good manners AFICIONADO:
 I think it's partially because their most recent LP was actually really good.
WRONG!  Don't kiss their ass.  The Kinks cover was great.  But "Lyla?"  "Mucky Fingers?"  "Let There Be Love?"  They shouldn't be allowed to make records again after releasing a single called "Let There Be Love."  They shouldn't be allowed to make records again after calling an album "Don't Believe The Truth."    
 
 
Quote
Originally posted by Julian, good manners AFICIONADO:
 Oasis was amazing when they first came out then got terrible from Be Here Now on, but they've turned into a pretty good act again and only really play the good material, for the most part, in concert.
Which tells you something when "the good material" is stuff from their first two albums and hardly anything from their last four albums.
 
 I've seen them eleven times (but never after "Morning Glory")  And they're AWFUL, now.  Success totally ruined them.  Their music plods.  They're boring.  They've run out of bands to rip off.  They can't do slow songs.  They can't do fast songs.  They're thick.  They're a cliche.  The irony of this is that "Be Here Now" is CLEARLY and always will be their third best album.  No matter how awful it is, it's better than any of the dreck that followed.
 
 According to Q Magazine, the new album will  include a 10 minute psychedelic song called "I Wanna Live A Dream In My Record Machine".  Read that again.  They're not being ironic.  They're going to have a ten-minute song on the album entitled:
 
 "I Wanna Live A Dream In My Record Machine"
 
 I can't WAIT!
 
 Brian
 
 P.S.  Julian, what is it with you loving arrogant, huge-ego singer/songwriters who peeked around 1995 and have been exposed as frauds, talent-wise (Corgan, Gallagher)?

manimtired

  • Member
  • Posts: 1432
Re: "Be Here Now" albums
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2008, 11:23:00 am »
Quote
Originally posted by Brian Wallace:
   
Quote
Originally posted by Julian, good manners AFICIONADO:
 I think it's partially because their most recent LP was actually really good.
WRONG!  Don't kiss their ass.  The Kinks cover was great.  But "Lyla?"  "Mucky Fingers?"  "Let There Be Love?"  They shouldn't be allowed to make records again after releasing a single called "Let There Be Love."  They shouldn't be allowed to make records again after calling an album "Don't Believe The Truth."    
 
   
Quote
Originally posted by Julian, good manners AFICIONADO:
 Oasis was amazing when they first came out then got terrible from Be Here Now on, but they've turned into a pretty good act again and only really play the good material, for the most part, in concert.
Which tells you something when "the good material" is stuff from their first two albums and hardly anything from their last four albums.
 
 I've seen them eleven times (but never after "Morning Glory")  And they're AWFUL, now.  Success totally ruined them.  Their music plods.  They're boring.  They've run out of bands to rip off.  They can't do slow songs.  They can't do fast songs.  They're thick.  They're a cliche.  The irony of this is that "Be Here Now" is CLEARLY and always will be their third best album.  No matter how awful it is, it's better than any of the dreck that followed.
 
 According to Q Magazine, the new album will  include a 10 minute psychedelic song called "I Wanna Live A Dream In My Record Machine".  Read that again.  They're not being ironic.  They're going to have a ten-minute song on the album entitled:
 
 "I Wanna Live A Dream In My Record Machine"
 
 I can't WAIT!
 
 Brian
 
 P.S.  Julian, what is it with you loving arrogant, huge-ego singer/songwriters who peeked around 1995 and have been exposed as frauds, talent-wise (Corgan, Gallagher)? [/b]
STFU

eros

  • Member
  • Posts: 1111
Re: "Be Here Now" albums
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2008, 11:45:00 am »
Quote
Originally posted by Brian Wallace:
   
Quote
Originally posted by Julian, good manners AFICIONADO:
 I think it's partially because their most recent LP was actually really good.
WRONG!  Don't kiss their ass.  The Kinks cover was great.  But "Lyla?"  "Mucky Fingers?"  "Let There Be Love?"  They shouldn't be allowed to make records again after releasing a single called "Let There Be Love."  They shouldn't be allowed to make records again after calling an album "Don't Believe The Truth."    
 
   
Quote
Originally posted by Julian, good manners AFICIONADO:
 Oasis was amazing when they first came out then got terrible from Be Here Now on, but they've turned into a pretty good act again and only really play the good material, for the most part, in concert.
Which tells you something when "the good material" is stuff from their first two albums and hardly anything from their last four albums.
 
 I've seen them eleven times (but never after "Morning Glory")  And they're AWFUL, now.  Success totally ruined them.  Their music plods.  They're boring.  They've run out of bands to rip off.  They can't do slow songs.  They can't do fast songs.  They're thick.  They're a cliche.  The irony of this is that "Be Here Now" is CLEARLY and always will be their third best album.  No matter how awful it is, it's better than any of the dreck that followed.
 
 According to Q Magazine, the new album will  include a 10 minute psychedelic song called "I Wanna Live A Dream In My Record Machine".  Read that again.  They're not being ironic.  They're going to have a ten-minute song on the album entitled:
 
 "I Wanna Live A Dream In My Record Machine"
 
 I can't WAIT!
 
 Brian
 
 P.S.  Julian, what is it with you loving arrogant, huge-ego singer/songwriters who peeked around 1995 and have been exposed as frauds, talent-wise (Corgan, Gallagher)? [/b]
I'm a pretty big Oasis fan, but I have to more or less agree with Brian here.  There are few good tunes from post-1997, but you have to look hard to find them.  The biggest problem is that Liam Gallagher has totally shredded his voice from all the years of  singing "wrong".  "Familiar to Millions" is pretty much unwatchable/unlistenable becuse of this.
 
 I would recommend checking out "Lord Don't Slow Me Down".   It gives a little bit of hope that they've still got something left in the tank.
ʎɐʍou

Mobius

  • Member
  • Posts: 1227
Re: "Be Here Now" albums
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2008, 11:53:00 am »
Quote
Originally posted by yinzer:
   
Quote
Wasn't 'Be Here Now' pretty much dead on arrival?  
at its release, i think it had the largest first week UK sales ever.  US sales were huge - not as huge per capita at all, but big sales nevertheless.  there are some very good songs on it and some real doozies.  a lot of the tracks are way too long and certainly overproduced.  it's their coke album.
 
 definitely maybe sounds really slow now, for the most part.  they play it live about 25% - 50% faster. [/b]
It sold well initially, as Oasis was riding a huge crest of momentum, but it seemed to immediately turn off fans - at least it did for me (and I don't remember seeing any positive reviews).  Of course, I never listened to the whole thing because what I heard made it seems that the swagger was neutered and the magic was gone . . . and Urban Hymns and Ok Computer (among others) were a lot more interesting at the time.
 
 I still love Definitely Maybe, but don't listen to it.  It was a perfect album for mid-90's early 20's ennui.  Its slowness was control . . . focus.  The feeling you get when the cigarettes and alcohol and etc. hit right and you're gonna make it happen.

reggie

  • Member
  • Posts: 394
Re: "Be Here Now" albums
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2008, 10:33:00 pm »
a big reason that Oasis trailed off on 'be here now' was because prior to that, they released countless b-sides that could've been singles (see the b-side compilation "The Masterplan," it's killer)
 
 Noel's songwriting well just ran dry.

beedubyah

  • Member
  • Posts: 284
Re: "Be Here Now" albums
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2008, 10:42:00 am »
No one encapsulated the feeling of being young better than Oasis. And there was no greater songwriting tear in recent history than Noel Gallagher 93-98. The struggle for Noel is what do you write about when you have millions of $ in the bank? How the city is too crowded? The love for your girlfriend? Your son? Get the fuck out of here. Oasis was @ their best when they were writing about being young, british and starting a rock band. When forced to write about anything else, the quality of tunes has dropped severely.
 
 They're still a great live act. While Liam's voice has suffered, when he's on, his voice soars through arenas.
 
 The last 3 albums from Oasis (and I say this as a huge fan) have had their moments but are mostly filler. The last tritely named album had more moments than their previous two but it's still not up to par with their first 4 (including the Masterplan).
 
 But what the hell, they'll add a few songs to their greatest hits with each album, and put on some great shows....I'm fine with it.

beedubyah

  • Member
  • Posts: 284
Re: "Be Here Now" albums
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2008, 11:08:00 am »
btw, I'd say the chances of Verve and Oasis touring together this summer/fall would be strong to quite stong...

saintangelsin

  • Member
  • Posts: 350
Re: "Be Here Now" albums
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2008, 08:11:00 pm »
Quote
Originally posted by beedubyah:
  btw, I'd say the chances of Verve and Oasis touring together this summer/fall would be strong to quite stong...
I would cry if that happened lol. It would be like a brit pop dream come true!