Author Topic: Any cooks here?  (Read 6087 times)

brennser

Re: Any cooks here?
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2006, 11:51:00 am »
but they recently dropped Sushi-ko as their provider. The new one - Genji Express - is total crap
I was wondering how the switch would affect quality - thanks for the heads up

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2006, 11:54:00 am »
Originally posted by brennser:
  I'm more of a baker/brunch guy myself. Our in-laws are constantly cooking awesome filipino food so we're pretty much covered during the week.
What's filipino food like...spicy?
 We'll be over at 7:00!

eip

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2006, 12:30:00 pm »
For a quick pasta dish, heat up a good quality jarred pasta sauce, like Rao's Arrabiata (very spicy) or Marinara, which are often on sale at Rodman's.  Separately, crumble and saute a few sausages, either hot or mild, and add to the sauce and serve with pasta.

We just discovered that the frozen corn from Trader Joe's is delicious, and our 18-month-old loves it.

brennser

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2006, 12:38:00 pm »
Originally posted by Chaz, Lover of all Beings:

I'm more of a baker/brunch guy myself. Our in-laws are constantly cooking awesome filipino food so we're pretty much covered during the week.
What's filipino food like...spicy?
 We'll be over at 7:00! [/b]
no, not spicy at all - really delicious and savoury, pancit (noodles), lechon (roast pork shoulder), adobo (whatever meat you want marinated in soy sauce and vinegar), sinigang (tamrind based soup usually w/ fish or pork - very easy to make), lumpia (egg rolls), sticky rice

I'll have to see if I can arrange some samples for family Chaz!

chaz

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2006, 12:58:00 pm »
Originally posted by eip:
  For a quick pasta dish, heat up a good quality jarred pasta sauce, like Rao's Arrabiata (very spicy) or Marinara, which are often on sale at Rodman's.  Separately, crumble and saute a few sausages, either hot or mild, and add to the sauce and serve with pasta.

We just discovered that the frozen corn from Trader Joe's is delicious, and our 18-month-old loves it.
Hmmmm...sausage.
 Our little boy loves corn too...and peas and carrots and.....that little hog eats anything!

amnesiac

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2006, 01:11:00 pm »
  no, not spicy at all - really delicious and savoury, pancit (noodles), lechon (roast pork shoulder), adobo (whatever meat you want marinated in soy sauce and vinegar), sinigang (tamrind based soup usually w/ fish or pork - very easy to make), lumpia (egg rolls), sticky rice

Wow - you managed to name almost all my favorites. Kare-Kare is pretty good too (sans tripe, though)

SalParadise

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2006, 01:18:00 pm »
"Camarones Enchilados" (shrimp in peppers)

1 lb of peeled shrimp (for 2 people)
 1/2 green, yellow, & red pepper
 1/2 onion
 2 8oz cans of tomato sauce
 pickapeppa sauce
 salt
 red wine
 olive oil

thinly slice up the peppers and onion and throw in a pot. douse them in olive oil and heat til they're nice and soft.  add both cans of tomato sauce, then fill one of the cans halfway with water and add that. heat on high another 5 minutes  , lower the heat to mid and add a dash of pickapeppa and salt. throw in the shrimp and stir (throw in some red wine at some point).

when the shrimp no longer has any black spots (you can always grab one to test), you're done.

goes great served on white rice.

brennser

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2006, 01:26:00 pm »
Originally posted by eip:

when we do cook midweek this is our standard dish - fresh pasta w/ italian sausage and caramelized onions and peppers - yummy!

pj

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2006, 01:43:00 pm »
Originally posted by Chaz, Lover of all Beings:

Originally posted by P.J.:
  Take a can of cream of mushroom soup, some rice, and some boneless chicken breasts.

put the rice in the casserole dish and put in a little bit of water. next put the chicken breasts on top (maybe three or four) then pour the cream of mushroom soup on top so that it totally covers the chicken and rice. Bake in the oven at about 350 covered for about 20 minutes, then maybe 10 min. uncovered or at least until you can check to see that the rice is cooked. You can even approximate with all of the serving sizes.

An easy meal and tastes even better as leftovers the next day. I like to make it on Sunday nights and then have something for lunch on Monday.
Thanks P.J.....sounds great! [/b]
No problem. great thread.

You could also get the Rachel Ray book with the "30 minute meals"- I haven't seen it, but I bet there is some good stuff in there. Plus, Rachel Ray is kinda hot.

vansmack

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2006, 02:13:00 pm »
  You could also get the Rachel Ray book with the "30 minute meals"- I haven't seen it, but I bet there is some good stuff in there. Plus, Rachel Ray is kinda hot.
Smackette got this book for Xmas and I've been reaping the benefits.  It's good stuff.  Unfortunately, her vacation is up and it's back to rounds for her so I'm making Lost Souls Cuban Style Burgers on the George Foreman tonight. They look amazing.
27>34

chaz

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2006, 02:32:00 pm »
I'll share a staple of ours:

Chaz Chicken

Get some chicken breasts, small ones work better, and flatten them a bit with one of those kitchen whackers (put them between 2 sheets of saran wrap first for less mess).  Roll the flatten pieces in flour, dip them in a bowl of beaten egg, then, after letting the excess egg drip off, roll em in grated parmesan til they are good and coated(no kraft..get some good stuff).  Put em in the fridge.  They cook up better if chilled a bit.

Clarify about 1 stick of butter.  If you don't know how, just melt it in a small sauce pan till it separates and all the cream rises to the top.  Skim the cream off and chuck it.  Don't worry about getting every bit of it you never will.  Pour what's left in a frying pan and heat it up pretty hot...to med/high.

Once it is hot throw them chicken boobs in...cook em up til they're done and nice and toasty brown.  Set them aside on a paper towel to soak up the grease.

Take the butter off the stove to cool it a bit.  Then squeeze the juice of a lemon or so into the clarified butter.  Put it back on the stove and put that sucker on high.  Cover it with a splatter screen if you have one or something else cuz it will spit like crazy.  The lemon will be burning in the butter.  When it's done spitting you're set.  Serve the chicken with the burnt lemon sauce spooned over it (you'll see the specks of burnt lemon in the butter...key in on those when spooning.

Voila.....chaz chicken.  This can also be done with fish.  I've made it with flounder and sole.  It's good with rice and asparagus.  Not a super quick meal but not too hard either.

ggw

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2006, 03:08:00 pm »

but they recently dropped Sushi-ko as their provider. The new one - Genji Express - is total crap
I was wondering how the switch would affect quality - thanks for the heads up [/b]
It's like fast food sushi.  The rice tastes old, the fish tastes bland, the soy sauce stinks and the wasabi comes in a little condiment pack like ketchup.  Not only is the quality way, way inferior, but Genji Express is based in Philadelphia, which would seem to go against the Whole Foods "community" philosophy.

I dashed off an angry missive to Whole Foods to express my displeasure.  I encourage others to do the same.

ewriter3

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2006, 03:11:00 pm »
Three easy chicken dishes.

Italian chicken.

Whole chicken breasts.  
 Spray top of chicken with butter (or technically you can just wet it with water)
 Get a package of Italian dressing seasoning (the Good seasonâ??s packets)
 Sprinkle seasoning onto chicken.  Cook on 350.

At same time -- cut up tomatoes and sprinkle with basil and pepper and oil and back at same time.

Or midway through cooking chicken add stewed tomatoes with basil and pepper.  

#2.
 Cut up chicken in pieces (I do this on the weekends, and use it for chicken salad, casseroles, and this on)

Use Wok or frying pan.  Add Teriyaki, Soy, or Italian dressing to chicken with a little bit of water.  Season chicken with red pepper, Cajon season salt or other seasons of your liking (I also use mix for blackening) Add half cup water and veggies -- I usually use broccoli, carrots and water chestnuts.  Boil minute rice and after cooking it add to mixture.  Re-season and add water and a little more of your Soy, or whatever and it takes about 20 min.  If you like spicy, you can really make this one spicy.  

Cute up chicken in bottom of Pyrex dish.  
 In a separate bowl combine 1 can of cream of mushroom soup (celery or other works as well).  cup of sour cream. 1 cup of chicken broth.  Mix together and then pour over chicken.  Make 2 packages of stuffing and put on top of chicken.
 Bake for 30 minutes.  You can make this ahead of time and freeze.

sonickteam2

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2006, 03:26:00 pm »
I have a couple suggestions too, being the cook in my house.  I'll spare everyone my secret recipe for Butter Tarts!  ;)

1.  Baked Ziti.  Its terribly easy. and if you buy a box of San Giorgio Cut Ziti, the recipe is on the back of the box. Ingredients cost maybe $8 and you can add chicken or sausage too.  Takes about an hour to prepare and cook, but you can make Ziti whenever and it will last for a while in your refigerator too. and its great for lunch the next day!  

2. Peaches and pork chops.

4 (1 1/4 inch) thick pork chops
       salt and pepper to taste
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1 (29 ounce) can sliced peaches, drained and   syrup reserved
    3 tablespoons brown sugar
    1 teaspoon ground ginger

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Trim all visible fat from chops and season with salt and pepper to taste. Brown chops in vegetable oil.

Combine reserved peach syrup, brown sugar and ginger. Pour over chops and bring to a boil. Add peaches and cook, uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes or until liquid is reduced to half and thick. Turn chops occasionally to insure even cooking. Serve!

(this is my girlfriends favourite!)

3.  Get a slow cooker.   it has truly saved dinner time and my house.  Prepare food at night. store it in the refrigerator, and then in the morning, turn on the slow cooker and when you get home, not only will dinner be ready, the house smells like heaven!!!!  and i believe its actually a healthier way to cook...how i dont know.

LostSoul

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2006, 03:41:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:

Smackette got this book for Xmas and I've been reaping the benefits.  It's good stuff.  Unfortunately, her vacation is up and it's back to rounds for her so I'm making Lost Souls Cuban Style Burgers on the George Foreman tonight. They look amazing. [/b]
You will not be disappointed, this recipe is a favorite of mine -- just brilliant.