Author Topic: Cicadas  (Read 23590 times)

mankie

  • Guest
Re: Cicadas
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2004, 01:01:00 pm »
Quote
Originally posted by i do not heart your balls:
 
Quote
i'm pretty petrified, to be honest. i hate giant things flying into my face and hair. and this means i can't leave my windows open. boo. maybe i'll get a bee keeper's suit.
 
  [/b]
oh calm down ya big whimp! It's only a plague of locusts of biblical proportions?
 
 If you have screens you can keep you windows open...they can hardly get through screens, although the noise of them trying to get laid gets loud.

paige

  • Guest
Re: Cicadas
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2004, 02:00:00 pm »
Quote
Originally posted by Bollocks:
  oh calm down ya big whimp! It's only a plague of locusts of biblical proportions?
 
 If you have screens you can keep you windows open...they can hardly get through screens, although the noise of them trying to get laid gets loud.
i mean car windows. oops. i don't want to have to dodge cicadas while trying to get through traffic in the mornings!   :D  
 
 overall, i'm just not a big fan of the weird exoskeleton molting, wing flapping, sensory lacking disgusting bug stuff.

lily1

  • Member
  • Posts: 2131
Re: Cicadas
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2004, 02:01:00 pm »
geez, i feel so left out.  :(  there are none to be found in sw dc, and my complex has lots and lots of grassy spots, and none in the park near my office in bethesda.

Celeste

  • Guest
Re: Cicadas
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2004, 02:04:00 pm »
none in Springfield, yet...bugs kind of gross me out...but as long as they're not roaches, I can deal...just imagine if the cicadas were roaches...now THAT would be horrific!

godsshoeshine

  • Member
  • Posts: 4826
Re: Cicadas
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2004, 02:07:00 pm »
my boss got dive-bombed outside of our office in tyson's
o/\o

lily1

  • Member
  • Posts: 2131
Re: Cicadas
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2004, 02:11:00 pm »
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!
 
 
 
Quote
Originally posted by Ball Girl:
  none in Springfield, yet...bugs kind of gross me out...but as long as they're not roaches, I can deal...just imagine if the cicadas were roaches...now THAT would be horrific!

ggw

  • Member
  • Posts: 14237
Re: Cicadas
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2004, 02:14:00 pm »
http://cicadaville.com/
 
 FACT:  Cicadas are vicious killers.
 
 FACT:  Cicadas prey on innocent children and pets.
 
 FACT:  Cicadas are seething with deadly venom and flesh-eating bacteria.

godsshoeshine

  • Member
  • Posts: 4826
Re: Cicadas
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2004, 02:17:00 pm »
hahaha, best site
o/\o

Samantha

  • Member
  • Posts: 1438
Re: Cicadas
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2004, 02:22:00 pm »
this all seems incredibly overhyped to me.  I haven't seen any yet.  my mother claims everyone's retarded making something out of nothing...and she's a big time complainer about that shit.  she was pregnant with me the last time they woke up.
 
 anybody know where to find the cicada recipes?  I'm very interested in Fried Cicadas or some other kind of delicacy.  might as well, eh?

ratioci nation

  • Member
  • Posts: 4463
Re: Cicadas
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2004, 02:25:00 pm »
A cicada recipe, courtesy of West Virginia's University Alumni Magazine.
 "Cicadas are a delicacy in the city of Shanghai, China, where this creative
 recipe originated."
 
 Ingredients: cicadas, anise, salt, rice wine, mashed garlic, celery, turnip
 greens.
 
 Recipe:
 
 1. Boil the cicadas and anise in salted rice wine for five minutes, and then
 remove the cicadas.
 
 2. Sauté the mashed garlic, adding water and rice wine to make a paste.
 3. Deep-fry the cicadas, and then skewer them with bamboo picks. Arrange
 them on a plate with the turnip greens, celery, and garlic paste to look
 like the cicadas are climbing out of a mud pie onto green foliage.

Bombay Chutney

  • Member
  • Posts: 3927
Re: Cicadas
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2004, 02:29:00 pm »
Look for them hanging out on plant leaves.  That's where I saw a ton of them this morning in my yard.  Most not even out of their shells yet.

Samantha

  • Member
  • Posts: 1438
Re: Cicadas
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2004, 02:34:00 pm »
Quote
Originally posted by pollard:
  A cicada recipe, courtesy of West Virginia's University Alumni Magazine.
 "Cicadas are a delicacy in the city of Shanghai, China, where this creative
 recipe originated."
 
 Ingredients: cicadas, anise, salt, rice wine, mashed garlic, celery, turnip
 greens.
 
 Recipe:
 
 1. Boil the cicadas and anise in salted rice wine for five minutes, and then
 remove the cicadas.
 
 2. Sauté the mashed garlic, adding water and rice wine to make a paste.
 3. Deep-fry the cicadas, and then skewer them with bamboo picks. Arrange
 them on a plate with the turnip greens, celery, and garlic paste to look
 like the cicadas are climbing out of a mud pie onto green foliage.
thanks poll, but wtf is anise?

MaLo

  • Member
  • Posts: 670
Re: Cicadas
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2004, 02:38:00 pm »
Quote
Originally posted by Samantha:
 
Quote
thanks poll, but wtf is anise? [/b]
its a licorice flavored seed...
 
 lets goooo mountaineers...and eat some cicadas..ok,no thanks

Samantha

  • Member
  • Posts: 1438
Re: Cicadas
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2004, 02:39:00 pm »
hm.  I was hoping to find a less complicated recipe.  methinks I will search my self.

MaLo

  • Member
  • Posts: 670
Re: Cicadas
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2004, 02:41:00 pm »
according to some article my dad was telling me about, they taste like canned asparagus
 
 gross