Author Topic: HFS now playing Burning Brides  (Read 5553 times)

Sir HC

HFS now playing Burning Brides
« on: February 07, 2003, 03:21:00 pm »
Okay, so I don't usually listen to the radio, but was driving with my bro and on comes "Arctic Snow".  Guess opening for Audioslave is giving them radio cred now.

Santos L. Halper

Re: HFS now playing Burning Brides
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2003, 03:30:00 pm »
I heard HFS play Arctic Snow back in early January, maybe the 2nd or 3rd, but haven't heard it since.  I was at Best Buy today, though, and they have a ton of Brides discs just waiting to be snatched up once folks get with the program.

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2003, 03:32:00 pm »
Who is this band Arctic Snow? Are they alt-country?

Guiny

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2003, 03:44:00 pm »
I have the Burning Brides cd and i dont see what the big deal about them is. I can tell it would be great live music but the cd is kinda lame.

ratioci nation

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2003, 03:55:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Guiny:<BR><B>I have the Burning Brides cd and i dont see what the big deal about them is. I can tell it would be great live music but the cd is kinda lame.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>sure can't beat those erasure and soft cell cds can it

Sir HC

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2003, 04:12:00 pm »
It is their live show, much like Fugazi, they are a live band.  At Fletchers, they tore the house down.  I agree their CD is not as good as live, but it is at least better than much of the tripe out there right now.  Now Rhett, since "Arctic Snow" was in quotes, it should be known that was a song title.  I don't have my MLA guide on me, but I think that is the rule.  <P>Oh, and Rhett, do you hear Ray Davies in Wilco's singer's voice?

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2003, 04:42:00 pm »
Do you mean Ray Davis, the bluegrass dj on WAMU? Yes, they both sound like they've smoked a few too many cigs.<P>Oh I guess you mean Ray Davies. Yes, never thought about it, but they do have the same tone of voice. I've also heard Jeff Tweedy's voice compared to Jerry Garcia's croak.<P>And on a Fugazi related note, did anybody notice in the DC City Paper that the former drummer for Minor Threat said he is into country music, and likens(sp?) the burgeoning alt-country scene with its rabid fans, regional favorites, small clubs, etc to the early days of punk/hardcore?

Celeste

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2003, 05:11:00 pm »
"HFS now playing Burning Brides"<P>Does that make it official that they suck? Just kidding! I don't even know them that well...<P>Anyway, on the Tweedy note, he does sounds little like Ray Davies, though not like Jerry Garcia much, to me.

Sir HC

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2003, 05:34:00 pm »
For Jerry, some of the more melodic less "frog-like" singing I can hear a bit.  But on YHF, Tweedy has a major Ray Davies thing on some songs.  If I played it for some of my non-Wilco friends, they might thing the Kinks have finally made decent music in the last 10 years.<P>Celeste-<BR>I admit to hating HFS for the most part.  I don't listen to the radio, they compress the heck out of songs, so that everything has this sameness in volume (and it is hard on the ears), but if they play something I do like, maybe they will get huge and make more albums.  that is really what I hope, something to break this boy/girl bland band pop radio hell we are currently in.<P>Ian MacKaye had a cool story in the Post a bit back with his musical likes.  Very wide range.  These guys listen to a lot of different music.

Guiny

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2003, 06:36:00 pm »
Don't have either one of them. I'd see both live but then again i'd see Burning Brides live also.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ratioci nation:<BR><B> sure can't beat those erasure and soft cell cds can it</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

paige

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2003, 07:03:00 pm »
i haven't listened to the radio in forever it seems.... i am considering XM though, since there are almost no commercial and have more tailored musical tastes. but i'm poor

hairjello

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2003, 06:38:00 pm »
yeah the burning brides are pretty good live.  i saw them at the division of laura lee black cat show.  they sound like nirvana.  i also interviewed them for my zine and they got pissed for some reason when i asked them about anything political.  they don't like politics and news and world happenings.  they don't wanna know anything about politics, news, and world happenings.  unfortunate, but eh, they do rock live.

paige

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2003, 07:38:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hairjello:<BR><B>  they don't like politics and news and world happenings.  they don't wanna know anything about politics, news, and world happenings.  unfortunate, but eh, they do rock live.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>why is that unfortunate? its nice thinking that not everyone in a punk band has to have some political stance behind everything they do

jsnow2

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2003, 12:11:00 pm »
agreed.  sometimes you just want to enjoy music for the sheer pleasure of rawking out.  it doesn't have to always have a major message.  The Brides are very cool and have always been very nice to me.  Dimitri is a guitar rock god!

Dr. Anton Phibes

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2003, 03:37:00 pm »
I haven't listened to HFS in almost 3 years.....they could be playing Celine Dion or Boxcar Willie for all I know......