Author Topic: Califone Roll Call  (Read 969 times)

ratioci nation

Califone Roll Call
« on: May 13, 2004, 10:23:00 am »
I probably will take a night off from shows, but is anybody planning on being at Iota tonight?  Please report back if so.

twangirl

Re: Califone Roll Call
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2004, 03:26:00 pm »
here's a review for you Pollard. I went to see Califone last night, hadn't managed to see them before for some reason although I was into Red Red Meat back in the early/mid-'90s. I really really liked Califone. Hard to descibe what they were doing though, especially since I tend to lurk in the back so I never did see what the drummer was bangin' on. It sounded almost industrial at times rhythmically, something clangy like maybe sheet metal in addition to the usual drum kit. Otherwise, lots of twangy bendy slidy notes, often distorted but not always. Vocals sometimes distorted sometimes not. An excellent dynamic sense, building from delicate sparse interludes to a crescendo of distorted sheets of noise, or the other way round. I'm not familiar with their so songs so can't tell you what they played, but I thought all of it was good. Seems a logical progression from Red Red Meat.

ratioci nation

Re: Califone Roll Call
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2004, 11:41:00 pm »
Thanks for review, somebody else who went also told me they were excellent, I really should have gone, I even had a ticket for them last time they were here and ended up not making it