Author Topic: Best album of the nineties  (Read 23397 times)

Relaxer

Re: Best album of the nineties
« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2003, 10:54:00 am »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Henry Dark:<BR><B>Do you kids listen to ANYTHING other than "modern rock" and "hiphop"?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Well of course. I also like alternative rock and rap.
oword

walkman

« Reply #76 on: February 13, 2003, 04:16:00 pm »
Nice list.  I like Laser Guided better, actually.  And Screamadelica is just great.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lazer Guided Melodies:<BR><B>I would say<P>10. Blue Lines by Massive Attack<BR>9.  A Storm In Heaven by Verve<BR>8.  Laser Guided Melodies by Spiritualized<BR>7.  The Soft Bulletin by The Flaming Lips<BR>6.  The Three Eps by The Beta Band<BR>5.  Slanted and Enchanted by Pavement<BR>4.  Moon Safari by Air<BR>3.  Screamadelica by Primal Scream<BR>2.  Deserter's Songs by Mercury Rev<BR>1.  Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space by Spiritualized</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

myuman

« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2003, 12:18:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BLACKSTORM:<BR><B><BR>RADIOHEAD - THE BENDS (ALL THE REST OF THEIR ALBUMS SUCK!)<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Ironic thing here is... I use Kid A as my musical litmus test on others.  If they don't understand Kid A ... then they are nothing but pop lovers in disquise... yeah, a little biased, but it is somewhat valid.<p>[This message has been edited by myuman (edited 02-14-2003).]

sonickteam2

« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2003, 12:32:00 pm »
so you turn red if you understand, blue if you dont?  <BR>

poorlulu

« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2003, 12:35:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by myuman:<BR><B>  Ironic thing here is... I use Kid A as my musical litmus test on others.  If they don't understand Kid A ... then they are nothing but pop lovers in disquise... yeah, a little biased, but it is somewhat valid.<P>[This message has been edited by myuman (edited 02-14-2003).]</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>funny cos i do the same test but it's a little different.......if they like kid A then they are pretentious wankers<P>

sonickteam2

« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2003, 12:39:00 pm »
i am a wanksTA<P>and Kid A is thier least interesting CD, but not thier worst.

Mobius

« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2003, 01:01:00 pm »
I think Kid A a piece of art more like a painting than a CD.  Viewed as a whole it creates a certain picture/impression. I think its great art. <P>How's THAT for a pretentious wanker comment?<P>Also want to agree that Lazer Guided Melodies is a great great disc.  Similar narcotic effect as MBV Loveless.

myuman

« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2003, 05:45:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mobius:<BR><B>I think Kid A a piece of art more like a painting than a CD.  Viewed as a whole it creates a certain picture/impression. I think its great art. </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yeah, I think that is just about dead on.  Not that I'm looking for any agreement here (Mobius... I don't know you)... but I agree.  Radiohead is certainly pretentious however.  They even tease their own fans with "creep" only not to play it. But Kid A is extremely abstract.... and it took me a long time to like it, but then it just all made sense... now I know how religious people feel.  So if you don't understand, you're only a small wanker... but if you do, then you know... you must be like... cool.

chills

« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2003, 05:49:00 pm »
i thought Kid A just tried too hard; it reeks of too much effort in this our 'remix a song and call it music' world.<P>thought the Bends was just boring.<P>OK Computer hooked me in as one of the best records ever; i worked with a guy who would play it twice a day every day for about 3 months and i still didn't get sick of it.  Now I listen to it and not sure what the fuss was about; it is good, but not as good as i remember.<P>that goofball DVD, Meeting People is Easy (?), has to be the most pretentious thing I've ever watched, to the point of pure humor.<P>that's my radiohead rundown, for all who care.

Sir HC

« Reply #84 on: February 14, 2003, 06:20:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chills:<BR><B>Now I listen to it and not sure what the fuss was about; it is good, but not as good as i remember.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>What always got me about it is that it sounds like someone from another planet attempting to do Earth rock.  It is just far enough off center to keep you guessing but retains that "Rock" feel that the later stuff lost (except Our National Anthem with is great).<P>

Joseph Coram

« Reply #85 on: February 17, 2003, 10:02:00 pm »
the lack of "i can hear the heart beating as one" is a surprise.  the people with the negative comments about kid a are just looking for something to complain about. basically saying "hey, everyone recognizes this is brilliant, so i'll play hardball and make people revisit the idea." that's pathetic.

VIOLENTMOODSWINGS

« Reply #86 on: February 17, 2003, 10:44:00 pm »
MONSTER MAGNET: POWERTRIP<BR>SOCIAL DISTORTION: SELF TITLED(1990)<BR>SOCIAL DISTORATION: WHITE LIGHT, WHITE HEAT, WHITE TRASH<BR>STABBING WESTWARD: WITHER BLISTER BURN PEEL<BR>NINE INCH NAILS: PRETTY HATE MACHINE<BR>WHITE ZOMBIE: LA SEXORCISTO<BR>MINISTRY: PSALM 69<BR>LEATHER STRIP: SELF INFLICTED<BR>WUMPSCUTT RIED BLOOD OF GEMORIAH<BR>WUMPSCUTT: EVIL YOUNG FLESH<BR>

markie

« Reply #87 on: February 17, 2003, 10:50:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph Coram:<BR><B>I am pathetic.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I dont like Kid A. Its lack of melodies and prog rock nature make me think of the emperors new clothes. I think it is all style over substance.<P>

jadetree

« Reply #88 on: February 17, 2003, 11:04:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markie:<BR><B> style over substance.<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Isn't that most Brit-pop?

markie

« Reply #89 on: February 17, 2003, 11:10:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jadetree:<BR><B> Isn't that most Brit-pop?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>yep. thats right. probably why you like it soooo much.<P>Still it normally has melodies and hooks that constitute songs. More than can be said for kidder.