Author Topic: oh, happy happy day.  (Read 1088 times)

jkeisenh

oh, happy happy day.
« on: October 05, 2004, 02:20:00 pm »
If you don't want to read my ramblings about biking, you may just want to skip this thread.
   :D    :D    :D    :D    :D    :D    :D  
 I know I've been whining forever about how badly I wanted a fixed gear bike.  Well, I did it.  I bought a frame, built it, and last night, I rode my first fixie.

Wow.

I couldn't stop grinning.  It's such a great feeling.

Then I rode it to work today.  Dropped the chain on 14th street, and for those of you fixie-unawares, chain = brakes and no chain = no brakes = use your heels.  That was scary and embarassing, but I recovered.  I need to check chain tension, I guess.

But here's to a sunny, happy, fixie riding day.  If you see a grey Surly and a pink helmet pass your way, say hello.  I'll try my hardest to stop.  ;)

thirsty moore

Re: oh, happy happy day.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2004, 02:34:00 pm »
That'll wake you up.  Did the driveside on your rear wheel move forward in the track ends at all?

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2004, 02:38:00 pm »
I drove my car from my house in the suburbs to the metro station and took the train. It was a lot of fun!

thirsty moore

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2004, 02:46:00 pm »
I thought you were a big health nut Rhett.  Cycling to the metro station would be a great way to keep that trim figure you're always talking about.

*edit*  It would also save gas money, which would give you more for the country music sub section in that budget sheet that you pore over every evening.

markie

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2004, 03:00:00 pm »
If I were going to ride a fixie I would definitely run a brake.

Its craziness not to.

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2004, 03:05:00 pm »
When they build a bike trail to/from the Metro to my house, I'll ride the bike.

We were riding our bikes to the VRE, but VRE is just too expensive (compared to Metro), and limited in their hours and station locations.

Oh well, it's only 6 miles round trip to Metro, so not that much gas money. Only one less country album per week.

Originally posted by econo:
  I thought you were a big health nut Rhett.  Cycling to the metro station would be a great way to keep that trim figure you're always talking about.

*edit*  It would also save gas money, which would give you more for the country music sub section in that budget sheet that you pore over every evening.

jkeisenh

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2004, 07:34:00 pm »
Originally posted by econo:
  That'll wake you up.  Did the driveside on your rear wheel move forward in the track ends at all?
that's exactly what happened.  i tightened it up.  while, sure, the chainline is less than ideal, i think it'll run now.

woo hoo!  

i practiced controlling the downhills by going up and down Ontario this evening.  ouch, my legs hurt.