Author Topic: New Bands  (Read 4220 times)

Bags

Re: New Bands
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2004, 09:10:00 pm »
A few bands new to me from last week's Subterranean:

Gerling -- this song was great, had a great drum and bass beat.  A tad retro 60s.  I wonder if the whole album is good or too retro-garage like so much stuff these days.  Either way, really good song, "Get Activated"

The Sun -- can't remember the song too much, but thought they could be good.   Lot of guitars with just a bit of keyboard.

Sparta -- pretty catchy song, but could be more of the same in terms of 'indie' rock.  Pretty full sound.  ??

Bags

« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2004, 09:18:00 pm »
Originally posted by Barcelona:
  These  Essex Green sound pretty good. Have they ever played in DC?
They opened for Ladybug Transistor at DC9 late this summer...I think it was one of those weeks in September full of a bajillion shows, so I missed it.  Someone here said Essex was a good show...

Bags

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2004, 12:03:00 am »
Tegan and Sara on some new bands from today's NY Times:

November 7, 2004
 PLAYLIST

A Warm Montreal Autumn, and the Chilly Dreams of Adolescence
 By TEGAN and SARA QUIN

The Arcade Fire

At a Constantines concert in Montreal last year, the lead singer, Bryan Webb, told the audience that they should all feel proud to be living in a city with one of the best bands in the world. He was talking about the Arcade Fire, which had just finished a feverish set. We may have been the only audience members then to agree, but the rest of the world is quickly catching up. The Arcade Fire is a band that makes us wish we were singing with them or being sung to. Sounding very much like the Replacements or the Talking Heads, the production on "Funeral" (Merge) is a bit dirty, and occasionally we wish Win Butler's voice was a little less buried in the mix, but only because the lyrics and stories are so wise and moving. The characters are so clearly developed, with so much emotion, that we desperately want visual imagery to accompany it. We don't believe in hype, but we believe in the Arcade Fire.

The Organ

On "Grab That Gun" (Mint), Deborah Cohen's guitar melodies are as hooky and sad as Katie Sketch's vocals, forming an awkward reply to each chorus. Comparisons to the Smiths and Joy Division are easy, but Ms. Sketch's lyrics have a remarkable way of being aloof without sounding arrogant. Anchored by a pumping Hammond organ, the songs on "Grab That Gun" are often quirky and unconventional, a record for daydreaming about breaking hearts and basement suites in the winter. We wish we had had this intelligent and subtle music in high school, when we needed something to explain what we would be feeling through most of our 20's.

Feist

Since relocating to Toronto in the late 90's, Leslie Feist has become somewhat of an indie legend in Canada. Her new CD, "Let it Die" (Interscope), is a surprising departure from the more straightforward guitar rock on her first album, "Monarch," but the lighter arrangements and cabaret-style instrumentation give this record the charming, articulate feel of French pop. Her smoke-cracked vocals are sexy and smart, and although we were disappointed that there were not more original songs, the five she offers here are strong, especially "Mushaboom," a hand-clapping pop song that started out, in a demo version that floats around the Web, pared down to a sad electric guitar and passing cars.

The Futureheads

With their slightly off target four-part harmonies, the Futureheads come across as young ruffians ready to down a pint of beer with you, punch you in the nose, make out with your girlfriend, then run off to the nearest library to engross themselves in Victorian literature. There is a carefree exuberance on the Futureheads self-titled debut (Sire Records) that makes their short blasts of post-punk pop nonsense undeniable and refreshing. Songs like the "Carnival Kids" express a sweet innocence you can see right through, like four lads acting nice in front of their grandmother. The song that will catch most listeners off guard, though, is the brilliant, somewhat indiscernible cover of Kate Bush's classic "Hounds of Love."

Against Me!

Against Me! harks back to the days of classic punk rock, expressing the emotions of frustrated youth, a fight against the wrongs of an older generation. On "As the Eternal Cowboy" (Fat Wreck Chords), songs like "T.S.R." and "Cliché Guevara" instantly transport us to the frustration of being a teenager with something to say and nowhere to say it. It's the band we wanted to be in when we were 13, but writing songs we would sing now at 24. The mix of alt-country and punk makes this record a politically charged, impassioned sing-along, but Against Me! writes memorable, meaningful songs that exceed the political moment.

Delays

Delays' new record, "Faded Seaside Glamour" (Rough Trade), confused us right away. Where are they from? Is that a girl singing? How come we've never heard of them before? As we listened we became obsessed and almost sickened with how much we liked the record from start to finish. We didn't want to find all the answers, we just wanted to get T-shirts telling everyone to get the record fast and then go see their show while they can still get up close. Maybe it's Delays' infusion of Fleetwood Mac or the early '80s shimmering guitars or the orchestral background noise that strikes a chord and draws us in, but quite simply, Delays are the type of band you should be happy exists.

ratioci nation

« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2004, 12:18:00 am »
essex green opened for the delgados once at the black cat

Jaguär

« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2004, 01:52:00 am »
That was the show!
 Thanks Pollard for straightening me out on that one.   ;)

megs

« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2004, 11:16:00 am »
futureheads for me. anyone else heard their album? i think only two things when i listen to it: 1) wow they really love the jam; 2) wow i can't stop dancing...

Bags

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2004, 05:08:00 pm »
anything new?

I've been loving the new Tegan & Sara album, but they're not really new (though they would be to many of ya....)

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2004, 03:26:00 pm »
Today I discovered  The Departure. I think you might like them, Bags.

Bags

« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2004, 11:54:00 am »
The Departure sound interesting -- they are *definitely* up Chatty's alley.  I noticed they haven't hit the states yet; must keep eyes peeled!

Bags

« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2004, 05:37:00 pm »
Man, these guys were gifted with the right guy to have as a fan -- amazing coverage to hit some small Phillie band playing to only dozens in NYC.

December 14, 2004
 Amid Harmonies and Chaos, a Young Band Starts to Find Its Way
 By KELEFA SANNEH
 The New York Times

Last week, an obscure Philadelphia band called Dr. Dog embarked on a compressed tour of New York City. First came an early show at Rothko, on the Lower East Side, where the band roared through its extraordinary catalog of off-kilter ballads and light-headed riff-rock, harmonizing all the while. The few dozen people in the audience applauded after every song, but the band played extra fast anyway, as if to make sure no one had a chance to object.

When the set was over, the group's minuscule but enthusiastic New York City fan base (in case you haven't already guessed, it includes at least one reporter) traipsed three blocks west to another club, Pianos, where the same five musicians were setting up: it was time for the second Dr. Dog show of the night. This set was even better, half an hour of friendly chaos, with band members trading instruments and stumbling through old songs. Then they packed up their van and drove back to Philadelphia, leaving only a handful of homemade CD's in their wake.

That homemade CD is "Easy Beat," and the band released it without a record label a few months ago; it's the kind of album that seems sure to attract a rabid cult of indie-rock fans - if only they can find it. (Start your search at the band's Web site:  http://homepage.mac.com/sonofsheepdog/.)  There are nine songs, all filled with breezy vocal harmonies and unexpected digressions. "Oh No" begins as a blissful love song, pauses for delicate string arrangements, then explodes into a hard-charging sing-along. And "Say Something" slowly builds up steam as folk rock gives way to a wailing guitar solo; as with a lot of Dr. Dog songs, it sounds both epic and cobwebby.

On Friday night, the five members of Dr. Dog played a show closer to home in West Chester, Pa., the town where Dr. Dog was born. The band's songwriters, childhood friends Scott McMicken and Toby Leaman, were terrorizing the town with a chaotic project called Raccoon, living in an overcrowded apartment known as the Pirate House while spending just enough time at West Chester University to emerge with bachelor's degrees.

A recording session in the flooded basement gave birth to "Psychedelic Swamp," a concept album that laid the foundation for Dr. Dog. Suffice it to say that the album received limited distribution: Mr. McMicken - the long-haired, plastic-sunglasses-wearing guitarist, who's always paying more attention than you'd suspect - estimates that he passed around perhaps 20 copies of the album, 10 on cassette. He remembers, "We were just stockpiling songs," and the band eventually compiled 10 of these recordings for its second release, "Toothbrush."

Gathered for an interview in a friend's apartment, the members of Dr. Dog cheerfully acknowledge the debt they owe to classic rock. Some of the members spent time playing in a just-for-fun Beach Boys cover band called Heroes & Villains, and they admit that studying the vocal arrangements on the "Pet Sounds" box set helped them learn how to sing harmony. When Mr. Leaman mentions that he loves Procol Harum's "Whiter Shade of Pale," Mr. McMicken mentions that he's recently recorded his own version of the song, two in fact.

But if you get your hands on a copy of "Toothbrush," you won't hear anything that resembles Procol Harum. Instead, you'll hear 10 tape-hissy songs that capture a wildly idiosyncratic band figuring out what it sounds like: the left-field love song "Jealous Man," for example, could be a bunch of glassy-eyed kids trying to reinvent doo-wop. In short, it's irresistible.

The band won its first break when Mr. McMicken gave a copy of "Toothbrush" to Jim James, the lead singer of My Morning Jacket, the celebrated neo-Southern rock band that now records for Dave Matthews's ATO Records. Not only did Mr. James listen to the CD (Mr. McMicken says he was charmed by the rainbow sprinkles rattling around beneath the transparent tray), but he also invited Dr. Dog on tour - twice.

Using the $1,000 they earned during the first tour, the members of Dr. Dog bought a microphone, which they used to record "Easy Beat"; the album shows off not just the group's range but its ambition, too. This is not the sort of band that cherishes its obscurity, and there are songs on "Easy Beat" that wouldn't sound out of place accompanying the closing credits of "The O.C." The indie-rock label Devil in the Woods plans to reissue "Easy Beat" in March (through a new imprint, National Parking), and the band members are hoping that having an album in stores will raise the group's profile even more.

Still, the Dr. Dog bandwagon hasn't started rolling yet, as the members were reminded later on Friday night, when they took the stage at Rex's, a rock bar that Raccoon used to play. There was a group of Dr. Dog fans near the front, but many other patrons were clearly just there to hang out and the listless atmosphere was contagious: Dr. Dog's set never quite ignited, and it didn't help matters when the sound man quickly threw on a heavy metal CD after the last song, before Dr. Dog could play the encore that people were clapping for.

Whatever happens, the band members don't seem terribly distracted by the prospect of cult favoritism. Earlier, Mr. Leaman provoked howls of laughter from his band mates by declaring: "This has been a long time coming. Dr. Dog has been trying to happen for 15 years," a big claim from someone who's only 25.

He continued in a humbler but no less determined vein, remembering his early recordings with Mr. McMicken: "The difference between us and most high school bands was that we knew we weren't as good as we wanted to be."

Mr. McMicken thought about it. "I still feel that way," he said.

"Yeah," Mr. Leaman said. "We're getting closer."

sonickteam2

« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2004, 11:42:00 am »
Originally posted by Fico:
  - Bloc Party
 - Cartel
Bloc Party is definitely one of the best CDs I've heard all year.  Just  picked it up last week, cant put it down.

if you like the "Banquet" song....check out the remix they have a cool one on the site...a little long, but nifty

Banquet Mp3