Author Topic: The National  (Read 13493 times)

Taster

Re: The National
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2007, 12:31:00 pm »
Originally posted by yinzer:
  it could be another alligator.  alligator wasn't alligator the first few plays.
Very true. But, someone mentioned in another thread that Boxer lacks the moments of emotional outbursts (Lit Up and Abel are my two favorites from Alligator). Boxer is still solid though, and Apartment Story is especially great.

han

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2007, 12:33:00 pm »
Btw, The National has sold out five consecutive shows at Bowery.  It's amazing that they still haven't sold out 930.

yinzer

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2007, 12:42:00 pm »
i dunno if they sold out black cat the last two go rounds.  if they did, i think it was the night of the show.

Fico

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2007, 12:57:00 pm »
I'm really excited for this show..Alligator is fantastic and Boxer is quite good and steadily growing on me...i better get my tickets this weekend...

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2007, 01:11:00 pm »
Is that what Pitchfork told you?

Originally posted by yinzer:
  it could be another alligator.  alligator wasn't alligator the first few plays.

yinzer

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2007, 01:16:00 pm »
uh - i fucking loathe pitchfork in every way.  i call it "clapyourhandsandpooponthemfork" for their fellating of that shite band's piece of dogshit.  dogshit.  but i digress.

yinzer

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2007, 01:23:00 pm »
truth be told though those fuckwads do pretty much state exactly  that.  i see where your heinous accusation derives from.

reminds me of the story of a blind squirrel finding a nut.  them, not me, of course.

grotty

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2007, 01:37:00 pm »
Originally posted by wanderlust aka joe marshmallow:
  I have no idea why their new album has gotten very good to excellent reviews. This is such an underwhelming record. In other words, this ain't no Alligator...
crazy talk  - report back in a month

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2007, 01:41:00 pm »
So how do you guys think Boxer differs from pretty much anything the Tindersticks ever put out?

grotty

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2007, 01:46:00 pm »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  So how do you guys think Boxer differs from pretty much anything the Tindersticks ever put out?
1) Tindersticks have A female vocalist. No girls allowed in the National (main band.)
 2) Tindersticks = very spare. National = very lush & full
 3) National = better singer. Tindersticks = Leonard Cohen lite

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2007, 01:53:00 pm »
On which album? Not on any that I have. They do one duet with the singer from the Walkabouts, and a second duet on a separate album with Isabella Rosselini, but that's all the female vox I know of.

Originally posted by The Artist Formerly Known As grotty:

1) Tindersticks have A female vocalist. No girls allowed in the National (main band.)
 [/b]

grotty

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2007, 02:00:00 pm »
That's accurate - duets. For example: I really like the TS song: Sometimes It Hurts.

I can't recall a female singer with such a prominent role in any National song.

Minor difference - but a difference still

brennser

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2007, 02:13:00 pm »
Travelling Light?

On which album? Not on any that I have. They do one duet with the singer from the Walkabouts, and a second duet on a separate album with Isabella Rosselini, but that's all the female vox I know of.

Originally posted by The Artist Formerly Known As grotty:

[/b]
[/b]

Bags

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2007, 09:48:00 am »
I saw them at this show as well, at the prodding of Markie, Lulu and Pollard.  I enjoyed them, but have since enjoyed their solo Black Cat gigs much more...  I'm definitely planning on the show next month.  [Haven't heard "Boxer" yet.]

Originally posted by nkotb:
  I saw them at the same show, and my only reaction was to ask econo "Are these dudes British?"  They carried themselves like some Britpop wannabes.

That being said, I haven't heard a full album, but I'll be damned if "Fake Empire" isn't a great song.

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
 Thanks to the magic of the interweb, I've determined it was with Weird War and the Walkmen.
[/b]

Loveless

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2007, 09:59:00 am »
Boxer is good, but not as memorable as Alligator.