Author Topic: fantasy football: a league of our own  (Read 285666 times)

crevers

Re: fantasy football: a league of our own
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2007, 11:14:00 pm »
Originally posted by Brian Wallace:
  I'm interested.  And as for the suicide pool, I got Winehouse on September 16th.

Brian
My office has a death pool (a simple "who dies first" bet) for Lindsay Lohan vs. Britney Spears.  It was even when we started 2 months ago...it's 2:1 Lohan now.  Now, Winehouse would be a good bet to beat either one, but I don't know that anyone in my office other than me would know who she is.

I have just one previous fantasy football experience, back in 1998.  Yahoo auto-drafted Steve Young as my QB (coming off a year he led the league in NFL passes, a couple of years removed from the Super Bowl win).  Young got knocked out in the 3rd game, he never recovered, and neither did my fantasy team.

That league (as well as my annual baseball leagues) was points, not head-to-head.  I'd prefer points, but I'm open to trying something new.

SalParadise

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2007, 10:10:00 am »
i'm thinking points too.

and what shall we set the "entrance fee$" at?

distance

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2007, 02:20:00 pm »
i'm not interested in paying money to play.

killsaly

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2007, 03:44:00 pm »
im still down even with it being pay

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2007, 04:32:00 pm »
Ladies and gents, we have a points league set up: welcome to the League930
    http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/league/league930 (click on the "Sign up now" link, on the top left next to "Overview", or PM me your e-mail and i'll invite you)

league is open to all, 20 teams max (not 10 as previously thought).

PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE JOINING:
 -- there is a $10 (ten) dollar fee to join.  i think that's low enough to make entrance affordable while making the pot something worth winning.  at the end of the season, 1st place takes 50% of the pot (i.e. $10 * number of playaz), second gets 33%, third gets 17%.  i will collect fees and pay out at the end of the season.  payment will be due before the first game of week three, or your team will be disqualified.  BY SIGNING UP FOR THE LEAGUE YOU ARE COMMITTING TO PAYING THIS FEE.  
 -- Draft has been set for this Wednesday, August 29, at 7:30.  please note that you don't have to be online for the draft: you can set up your picks ahead of time and the system will go down your list and chose accordingly.  if you feel strongly
 -- see above website for rules & scoring, i kept all default except that sacks are worth one point.

again, please don't sign up if you don't want to pay the $10 entrance fee.  let the smack-talk begin.

signed,
 League 930 Commissioner; and owner, manager and head coach of the New Jersey Barebacks       :D
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2007, 09:52:00 pm »
EDIT: for those wishing to join:

League ID#: 602544
 Password: 930rox
 League Name: League930
 Custom League URL:     http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/league/league930    

My bad, the league wasn't "published" - it is now, please try again around 10:15 pm (sunday night) or later.

or just PM me and i'll send you an invite.
<sig>

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2007, 09:54:00 pm »
Originally posted by sweetcell:
  for those wishing to sign up: the name of the league is "league930" (the first letter "L" may of may not be capitalized).  the password is "930rox", if you need it.

but you should be able to join by going to   http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/league/league930   and clicking on the "Sign up now" link, top left corner next to "Overview".  alternately, PM me your e-mail address and i'll invite you.

note, you need a Yahoo account - free, and signing up is really fast (i created one just for this league, took about 90 seconds).
to sign up for the league... you have to the league id number, not just the name...
nothx

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2007, 10:11:00 pm »
all taken care of now, see my last post (two up)

step-by-step instructions:

1. go to       http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/f1/register/joinleague  

2. sign in using your yahoo ID.

3. click, far left, "Accept an invitation to join a Custom League: Join Custom"

4. Enter League ID (602544) and Password (930rox)

5. follow the steps to set up your team.  you don't need to select your draft choices at this time, you can come back and do it later.  creating a team now secures your spot in the league.

or PM me your e-mail address, wait for my invite, and follow directions.  reminder: there is a $10 entrance fee, please don't join if you don't want to pay.
<sig>

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2007, 09:37:00 am »
It's too late now and I'm the minority but I DEFINITELY prefer head to head.  Total points is just one long game.  With head to head I can get excited about playing Sal Paradise in week 5...using strategy...making roster moves...it's great fun.  It's like you have an actual team with a schedule.  In some of the leagues I've been in there's a small cash prize for total points at the end of the year.  But with head to head, you have a schedule and playoffs and then one eventual champion who gets most of the money.
 I'd put it up to a league vote but if not, that's cool.  Draft's Wednesday night.  Thanks for inviting me.

Brian

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2007, 09:40:00 am »
H2H is the most fun, quite true.
nothx

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2007, 09:45:00 am »
I'm in but I know very little about football.  I just hope that y'all spend my $10 wisely.     ;)
xoxo

SalParadise

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2007, 09:45:00 am »
   With head to head I can get excited about playing Sal Paradise in week 5
i wouldn't get too excited. you'd obviously be losing that week.

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2007, 09:55:00 am »
Too bad we aren't all don't live close enough (or are nerdy enough) to do the live draft together at a bar or someone's place with laptops and and beer in tow - now that's a recipe for smack-talking disaster.
nothx

godsshoeshine

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2007, 09:58:00 am »
FEAR THE PINK ROBOTS
o/\o

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2007, 10:04:00 am »
now up to 8 teams - w00t!  we have ourselves a league!

It's too late now and I'm the minority but I DEFINITELY prefer head to head.  Total points is just one long game.  With head to head I can get excited about playing Sal Paradise in week 5...using strategy...making roster moves...it's great fun.  It's like you have an actual team with a schedule.
actually, it's not too late - i can change the league setting up until the draft.  as i wrote earlier, i'm a fan of head-to-head too - more smack talk - but the only 2 people who piped up when i asked said points (although one was willing to try H2H - so qualified support).  now 2 others (with me, 3) would rather have H2H.  

salparadise, do you feel strongly about keeping it points?  i don't want anyone to quit because we switch to H2H, since folks signed up for points.  but if no one objects, i'd be most pleased to change the league setting.

Originally posted by SalParadise:

With head to head I can get excited about playing Sal Paradise in week 5
i wouldn't get too excited. you'd obviously be losing that week. [/b]
AND IT'S ON!!!
<sig>