Author Topic: fantasy football: a league of our own  (Read 285729 times)

godsshoeshine

Re: fantasy football: a league of our own
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2007, 10:42:00 am »
i like head to head
o/\o

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2007, 11:19:00 am »
Originally posted by miss pretentious:
  Too bad we aren't all don't live close enough (or are nerdy enough) to do the live draft together at a bar or someone's place with laptops and and beer in tow - now that's a recipe for smack-talking disaster.
Yes.  True live drafts are the most fun.  Maybe 70%-80% of the entire "fun quotient" of playing fantasy football.  Unfortunately, it's a little too late to organize one this year.

However, in leu of actually meeting at the beginning of the "season," we could TRY to organize a meeting at the end of the season.  Maybe we can come up with a date and location at the end of December at which we can meet, commiserate, distribute monies and see what a motley crew the "league" really looks like.  Maybe we can even schedule it on a Saturday or Sunday when we can watch an actual NFL game!  Maybe even a playoff game!

Brian

P.S.  I spent way too much time this weekend trying to think up a clever team name.  Then, while watching "The Battle of Pennsylvania" preseason game last night, it came to me like in the final scene in "The Usual Suspects."

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2007, 11:28:00 am »
Originally posted by 6949:
  I'm in but I know very little about football.  I just hope that y'all spend my $10 wisely.      ;)  
In fantasy football, quarterbacks get four points for every touchdown pass they throw and 1 point for every 25 yards they pass for.  But a player gets SIX points for every touchdown they rush for and a point for only every TEN years they rush for.  So if you have a quarterback who rushes a lot and can score a lot of rushing touchdowns you can almost ride that player to win the entire league.

And since you said you know very little about football, I'll give a strong tip on a quarterback who rushes a LOT and could score a LOT of rushing touchdowns in addition to passing touchdowns.  I'd even use the number one overall pick on this guy if I had it.

Michael Vick.

Shhhh!  That's just between you and me.  Don't want to tip your hand.

You'll thank me in December.

Brian

« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2007, 11:41:00 am »
Thanks Brian! Wikipedia mentioned something about   handcuffing so I picked Vick, Pacman Jones and the entire Cincinnati Bengals team.
xoxo

distance

« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2007, 11:50:00 am »
Originally posted by Brian Wallace:
  In fantasy football, quarterbacks get four points for every touchdown pass they throw and 1 point for every 25 yards they pass for.
all the leagues i've played in have been 6pts for qb tds.

edit: and H2H is totally fine with me.  i'd prefer that actually.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2007, 11:59:00 am »
Originally posted by 6949:
  Thanks Brian! Wikipedia mentioned something about   handcuffing so I picked Vick, Pacman Jones and the entire Cincinnati Bengals team.
corrected link?

sounds like we're headed for a switch to head-to-head.
<sig>

Shadrach

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2007, 12:02:00 pm »
I prefer head-to-head as well.

Shadrach

« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2007, 12:11:00 pm »
I'm signed up. Noticed that there can be as many as 20 teams??? I think you may want to reconsider that and cap it at 12, 14 tops if you really feel strongly about having plenty of spots open. Just that with 20 teams you're really stretching for players during the draft and there would be squat on the waiver wire should you have an injury or a bye week.

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2007, 12:31:00 pm »
Ok.  I have one more suggestion.  I don't want to "league-jack" or be a backseat driver.  This is sweetcell's league.  He's the commish.

Remember this is just a suggestion.  A lot of (head-to-head) fantasy leagues backend all of the monies distributed to the winner of the playoffs.  However, if you pick players who have gotten hurt, etc., you can be out of it by the end of October.

What we did was set up something that rewards total points and also rewards having the best record, winning the playoffs, etc.

1. We set up a small amount that whoever scored the most points in a given week would win.

2. At the end of the season, the person who had accumulated the most total points received a small amount and the person who had the best overall record received a small amount.

3. The person who won the playoffs and therefore, the entire league, got the rest of the money.  Depending on the money involved, we also gave some money to the runner-up in the playoffs.

So, for example, if we have twelve teams and everyone pays $10, that's $120.

Usually, it's the first 14 weeks for the regular season.  For us, we could have four teams qualify for the playoffs, the first round would be week 15 and the championship game would be week 16.  (A lot of NFL teams rest their stars week 17 especially if they qualified for the playoffs.  A lot of fantasy leagues end week 16 because of this.  If you have been riding Clinton Portis the entire year and the Redskins qualify for the playoffs, Gibbs may decide to rest Portis the final Redskins game.  If you have the championship game in week 17, when you really need Portis the most, he could be unavailable.)

So we could have it:

$70-Distributed every week in amounts of $5 each to whoever scored the most points that week.

$5-Given at the end of the season to whoever scored the most total points.

$5-Given at the end of the season to whoever has the best record.

$40-Given to whoever wins the playoffs.

This always seems to keep people happy and enthused the entire season.  This way, usually only two or three people don't win any money and most people at least get their money back.

This way it rewards:

1.) A team whose players played well in a given week.
 2.) A team whose players played well over an entire season.
 3.) A team who consistently accumulated points (but not necessarily wins) over a season.
 4.) A team whose players played well against other good teams (in the playoffs.)

Just a suggestion, it can be tweaked.

Brian

P.S.  Sweetcell would just keep a tally of whoever won the "weeks" and they payout at the end of the season.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2007, 12:47:00 pm »
Originally posted by Shadrach:
   Noticed that there can be as many as 20 teams??? I think you may want to reconsider that and cap it at 12, 14 tops if you really feel strongly about having plenty of spots open. Just that with 20 teams you're really stretching for players during the draft and there would be squat on the waiver wire should you have an injury or a bye week.
really?  supposedly there are enough players in the NFL for 32 teams - well 30 at least, obviously there aren't enough left over for arizona and detroit   :D  

ok, league will be capped at 12, meaning there are only 2 more spots open - put aside a sawbuck and grab one of those last two openings.

and we're now officially head-to-head.
<sig>

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2007, 12:48:00 pm »
Originally posted by sweetcell:
  really?  supposedly there are enough players in the NFL for 32 teams - well 30 at least, obviously there aren't enough left over for arizona and detroit   :D  

Hey! As a native Detroit-er, I'd like to point out the Raiders are much worse then us!

hoitel

• hello. world.
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2007, 12:55:00 pm »
is it too late to get in this league?? PM me with details please!!!

crevers

« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2007, 02:14:00 pm »
We Are Both Carls is registered, and to my first opponent...

"Shut! Shut! If you had a neck and I had hands, I would squeeze your brain, which is your body, right out the top of your head, which does not exist!"

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2007, 02:20:00 pm »
Sweet - I was almost expecting something like 'Threesome's Company' or the like out of you at this point...
nothx

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2007, 06:56:00 pm »
ok, ladies and gents - the league is now full, we have 12 teams.  i'll be contacting you all through the yahoo site to set up the payment of the $10 fee.

Originally posted by miss pretentious:
  Sweet - I was almost expecting something like 'Threesome's Company' or the like out of you at this point...
like julian, i'll feign disgust and indignation at such a proposal.

(you do realize it's just rhett and i hamming it up about the threesomes, doncha?)
<sig>