Author Topic: The Digital Music Thread  (Read 5789 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: The Digital Music Thread
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2008, 10:47:00 am »
Found this new application currently in beta called Reble.fm which allows you to listen to music on a friends computer over the internet. But me thinks they need to get better legal counsel. The response to is this program legal is

"The key to Reble is that you're sharing music with a small set of people that you know. Copies of songs can only be listened to by one person at a time, so other potential listeners have to wait until you're done. Tragic I know. Since we're based on a streaming architecture illegal copies of songs do not spread, unlike filesharing programs. Finally, none of your library data is centrally stored, it's between you and your friends."

As one commentor point out on Techcrunch... Does anyone remember Aimster and how long it lasted?

Anyone want to predict how long it's before this  app goes into the great beyond?
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2008, 10:51:00 am »
don't get me wrong rebel.fm is a cool idea and would be a nifty way to share playlists and yes it's sort of like having friends over to listen to music, but it needs a way to get legal in terms of copyright law.
T.Rex

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2008, 11:02:00 am »
kosmo - got your invite, thanks.  i'll be signing up over the weekend probably.

about Reble.fm: is it peer-to-peer, or does it depend on a central server?  b/c if it's true p2p, we should all DL the app as soon as possible.  the company will definitely be shut down, but once it's installed we'll be able to stream each other's music collections.  preview city!
<sig>

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2008, 11:13:00 am »
p2p and only the windows client is available currently... it's built on the Jabber open source instant messaging protocol... and what your saying is download now and use later  ;)
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2008, 11:22:00 am »
Anyone using Anywhere.fm?  because I'm liking whats on offer... i.e. Upload your own music, let others listen to it and it's licensed!  Only problem is I don't generally rip my CDs to MP3s....
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2008, 05:48:00 pm »
More DRM silliness courtesy Sony

"Sony kills DRM stores -- your DRM music will only last until your next upgrade"

http://www.boingboing.net/2008/02/01/sony-kills-drm-store.html

the gist being that SONY is discontinuing their DRM riddle store and the catch is one can only enjoy music purchased from it on the computer or player on which it's been downloaded to.
T.Rex

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2008, 06:07:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo:
  Anyone using Anywhere.fm?  because I'm liking whats on offer... i.e. Upload your own music, let others listen to it and it's licensed!  Only problem is I don't generally rip my CDs to MP3s....
what format do you rip to - flac?

interesting service, but i don't need my music on the go - i have what i need on my work laptop.  and i have more music than i know what to do with (and here comes emusic).  i'm looking to simplify my life, so i'll skip on this one.
<sig>

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2008, 06:17:00 pm »
i generally don't rip my CDs at all seeing as I don't own or really want an iPod... so it's a mixture of CD and eMusic mp3s for moi... kosmette rips AAC for her iPod which isn't supported by this site yet...

i'm not looking to use this service as online storage only to be able to recreate my playlist so people can legally listen to them.
T.Rex

beetsnotbeats

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2008, 06:40:00 pm »
  More DRM silliness courtesy Sony

"Sony kills DRM stores -- your DRM music will only last until your next upgrade"

http://www.boingboing.net/2008/02/01/sony-kills-drm-store.html

the gist being that SONY is discontinuing their DRM riddle store and the catch is one can only enjoy music purchased from it on the computer or player on which it's been downloaded to.
I can't believe that Sony would do such a thing </sarcasm>.

nkotb

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2008, 09:41:00 am »
I love the user policy:

Don't Steal Music!

It's the first one I've ever read in its entirety.  

don't get me wrong rebel.fm is a cool idea and would be a nifty way to share playlists and yes it's sort of like having friends over to listen to music, but it needs a way to get legal in terms of copyright law.

vansmack

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2008, 12:55:00 pm »
I'd be wary of how much time you're putting into these new ventures.  I will never forget how many nights I spent uploading my CDs into MP3.com's database so that I could stream them from MP3.com's website no matter where I was only to have the site shut down in a month.

That's kind of how I feel about all of these sites until they do one of two things:

(1) Amend the DMCA
 (2) Work out a deal with the recording industry

The idea of if we build it they will come and then they'll have to negotiate with us is such a failed model at this point...
27>34

nkotb

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2008, 07:48:00 pm »
I didn't have to upload anything with Reble.fm.  I came home from work to find all of my songs catalogs and ready, without much effort on my part.

Search for aobehr if you want to browse.  I warn you...it's hipster friendly.

Originally posted by vansmack:
  I'd be wary of how much time you're putting into these new ventures.  I will never forget how many nights I spent uploading my CDs into MP3.com's database so that I could stream them from MP3.com's website no matter where I was only to have the site shut down in a month.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2008, 04:55:00 am »
kosmo -- thought you and others would like this blog:  http://blog.wired.com/music/
(o|o)

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2008, 01:22:00 pm »
(o|o)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2008, 05:12:00 pm »
this is actually video and not music, but i didn't want to start another thread for this:

Hulu - watch streaming TV shows and movies (but mostly clips of the latter, as far as i can tell).  looks legit.
<sig>