Author Topic: Worst Airports for Sleeping In  (Read 4360 times)

HoyaSaxa03

Re: Worst Airports for Sleeping In
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2007, 08:16:00 pm »
i was wondering what smackie's take on this would be ... i spent a night in bangkok's airport in november '04 (not sure if this was the "new" one or not), but an internet cafe was open 24 hours and i just sat there and played on party poker for a while ... wasn't that bad ...
(o|o)

vansmack

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2007, 09:20:00 pm »
Originally posted by They call me Doctor Doom.:
  Well, I think 1999 would qualify as "many years out of date."  At that point Indonesian dictator Suharto had only just left the scene and the country was still reeling from the Asian financial crisis.   Jakarta is still no Singapore, but the country has made huge progress since then.
Fair enough, but I think in terms of political reform, 8 years is not a long time and the airports are pretty low on the reform list. I will defer to your more recent experience on this one.  Every other trip I made to East Timor I flew through Darwin to avoid Jakarta.
27>34

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2007, 09:47:00 pm »
You can't get to East Timor via Jakarta anyway anymore... if you go through Indonesia, you have to transit through Denpasar.  Last time I did that, I made sure the transit lasted several days...

As far as reform, the country is corrupt as ever, but to the extent possible they try to shelter the bules from that, as they recognize the importance of keeping them coming in.
_\|/_

alex

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2007, 09:21:00 am »
I never had any problems with LAX.  I think people just whine too much about the conditions there.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2007, 12:57:00 pm »
Originally posted by Brandon Brendall, the thief:
  I never had any problems with LAX.  I think people just whine too much about the conditions there.
like simply being in l.a.?
OU812

vansmack

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2007, 02:37:00 pm »
Originally posted by Brandon Brendall, the thief:
The international terminal used to be pretty bad, but I agree, the domestic terminals get a bad rap.  I've had very few problems flying in or out of LAX.
27>34