Author Topic: I'm returning to WMUC, starting Sat. 2/2  (Read 3731 times)

Christine Moritz

I'm returning to WMUC, starting Sat. 2/2
« on: January 30, 2008, 05:34:00 pm »
Starting Feb. 2, I'm returning to WMUC, the radio station of the University of Maryland.

My timeslot is Saturdays, 9 p.m. to 12 midnight U.S. Eastern time.  If you're around a computer before heading out on Saturday night (or if you're staying in), tune in online!

Info on listening live online

(If you live within range of the WMUC signal, you can tune in over the airwaves at 88.1 FM.)

If you miss the live online broadcast, you can download the archived recording of the show from the WMUC website between the time the show airs on Saturday night and the following Saturday.  (I'll post the download link after this Saturday's show airs.)

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
Re: I'm returning to WMUC, starting Sat. 2/2
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 12:45:00 am »
Weird. Exactly as I'm getting back into radio. Something strangely synchronous going on here. (Won't detail publicly why I left my other station except that this new venture will allow me much more freedom and controls with a whole lot less bullshit.) Details to follow once I get a whole lot of things sorted out and ready to roll.

Looking forward to listening to your show! I will be sure to listen when I can as I know you are going to put on a good show with lots of very good music.

killsaly

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 01:06:00 am »
my teacher told us they needed people to work there, and i thought about it.  i dont know if i ahve the time, but it would be fun.

anarchist

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 05:27:00 pm »
isn't wmuc going off the air soon?  there is a big npr station in balt also on 88.1 that wants to b'cast to dc.  i guess wmuc could still stream on the web.

killsaly

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 05:42:00 pm »
Originally posted by Jaguar:
 new venture will allow me much more freedom and controls with a whole lot less bullshit

xm or sirius?

Christine Moritz

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 06:39:00 pm »
Originally posted by anarchist:
  isn't wmuc going off the air soon?  there is a big npr station in balt also on 88.1 that wants to b'cast to dc.  i guess wmuc could still stream on the web.
No, WMUC is not going off the air.

The signal increase for WYPR (the 88.1 station in Baltimore) has reduced the range of WMUC's airwaves signal, but WMUC continues to broadcast both over the airwaves and online.

saintangelsin

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 07:57:00 pm »
I am a dj at WMUC and I just want to say welcome back! I've been a fan of your show for years, way before I ever even went to UMD.

Speaking of radio shows, though I don't have a cool dj show like Christine, I do host a Wednesday morning shindig that is quite awesome (ie- i play college radio stuff from the 80s and 90s)

azaghal1981

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 10:47:00 pm »
Originally posted by killsaly:

new venture will allow me much more freedom and controls with a whole lot less bullshit

xm or sirius? [/b]
Both are actually pretty damn restricted and (at least on the stations I've listened to) have very small musical rotations.

Christine, I do like what I've heard of your dj sets and will definitely be checking this out too.
احمد

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2008, 01:27:00 am »
Heh... I remember living in Bethesda in the 1980s, WHFS was already increasingly unsatisfying, and we were reaching out anxiously for the faint signal of WMUC, like the light from a very distant star.  College Park could have been light years away, but I strung a wire out in my parents's yard, which allowed me to bring in its crackly signal, and it was the first time I heard The Residents, and Frank Zappa, and "I'm Afraid of the Russians."  I later learned from some tech dood that worked there that they'd been boosting the signal illegally -- without that, even my crude antenna would have been for naught.  My band did a live show on the air there once, and despite the lack of a physically present audience it was one of the best shows we ever played; Madhouse (later Strange Boutique) played with us that night, and warmed up with an impromptu version of "Spirit of the Radio" by Rush.
_\|/_

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2008, 10:28:00 am »
Originally posted by They call me Doctor Doom.:
   "I'm Afraid of the Russians."  
Can anyone help me out with an mp3 of this?  I can't find it anywhere.  (the Made for TV track - not the Stiphnoyds song.)   Thx.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2008, 02:04:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bombay Chutney:

Originally posted by They call me Doctor Doom.:
   "I'm Afraid of the Russians."  
Can anyone help me out with an mp3 of this?  I can't find it anywhere.  (the Made for TV track - not the Stiphnoyds song.)   Thx. [/b]
I would love to get that too.
_\|/_

Christine Moritz

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2008, 07:04:00 pm »
Originally posted by saintangelsin:
  I am a dj at WMUC and I just want to say welcome back! I've been a fan of your show for years, way before I ever even went to UMD.

Thanks!

:)

Christine Moritz

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2008, 07:06:00 pm »
Originally posted by azaghal1981:
 Christine, I do like what I've heard of your dj sets and will definitely be checking this out too.
Cool!

:)

For anyone who wants to check out my show live tonight (Saturday, 9 p.m. to midnight U.S. ET), the link to WMUC's live online broadcast is:

http://www.wmucradio.com/wmuc-high.m3u

killsaly

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2008, 09:40:00 pm »
Originally posted by azaghal1981:

Originally posted by killsaly:

xm or sirius? [/b]
Both are actually pretty damn restricted and (at least on the stations I've listened to) have very small musical rotations.

Christine, I do like what I've heard of your dj sets and will definitely be checking this out too. [/b]
I meant non resticted as you do not have to censor yourself.  i have sirius, and i really only listen to howard stern on there.  the music does seem to repeat a bit.  no commercials though, and there are at least 8 stations i can flip between to hear soemthing decent.

azaghal1981

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2008, 11:12:00 pm »
Gotcha.

Thanks for bumping this; I'm tuning in now.
احمد