Author Topic: Woman arrested for chewing on Metro  (Read 13270 times)

thirsty moore

Re: Woman arrested for chewing on Metro
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2004, 11:01:00 am »
Is Rory going to be an American?

Originally posted by Bollocks:
 What's wrong with being "black"? I just don't get it....until white's are "European Americans" then black people will be black.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2004, 11:14:00 am »
I must say I'm shocked at how many board members are siding with the cops on this.  Yeah i know we need the police in our society and I do my best to respect them...but this story just brings out the rabble rouser in me.  Payday lady mouthed off a bit, but in the end it seems like the reason the cops gave her such a hassle were as much (if not more) personal as they were legal.  And I've got no tolerance for cops that allow the chip on thier shoulder to determine their actions.

eltee

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2004, 11:19:00 am »
Originally posted by chaz:
  but in the end it seems like the reason the cops gave her such a hassle were as much (if not more) personal as they were legal.  And I've got no tolerance for cops that allow the chip on thier shoulder to determine their actions.
I'm w/ ya.

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2004, 11:23:00 am »
The signs say no eating on the train or WITHIN ANY PART OF THE METRO SYSTEM (this includes the station part before the turnstyle)

Originally posted by Bagalicious Tangster:

Originally posted by J'Mal:
  she got what she deserved.  she did it after being told not to by a cop, come on.  and then she talked back instead of just taking the ticket.

Wait -- by my reading, she did exactly what the officer told her.  She finished the bar (ie, threw any related trash away and had no food in her hands whatsoever) before entering the metro.  This is the issue -- the possible waste from food products, right?  What, the possibility that she might vomit is part of the equation?  Anyone could vomit anytime, whether they have food in their mouths or not.

She finished the candy bar for all intent and purposes.  She did NOT continue breaking the law, she did exactly as the officer asked her initially. [/b]

markie

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2004, 11:27:00 am »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
 [QB] The signs say no eating on the train or WITHIN ANY PART OF THE METRO SYSTEM (this includes the station part before the turnstyle)

But you dont actually see the signs till you get within the turnstyle.

bellenseb

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2004, 11:28:00 am »
This whole thing smacks of the ridiculous "zero tolerance" policies in schools where kids are *expelled* for having a nail file or an aspirin in school.

Look, she obviously was finished with the candy bar. Unless she vomited in the station, the spirit of the law was *not* being violated. It's not like she was opening up a happy meal on the train. I think she expected a little discretion to be used and was shocked at how blind, context-free and idiotic the law enforcement was.

Bags

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2004, 11:29:00 am »
I'm not saying the tourists are right, but why throw a fit over that particular scenario?  If my point isn't logical to you, then we're at an impasse.  When I see this situation, to me it's locals being annoying "I live here, you don't, get outta my way" assholes.

Note my parameters, only the short escalator and no train coming.  It's not right and wrong, it's reasonable and shitty.

Seems like the tourists are the ones who are in the wrong, not the locals.

Or arrest the dumb fucks who stand on the left side of the escalator. Even when there's a fire in the station.
One of my pet peeves is locals who yell at tourists for standing to the left on those really short little escalators going down to the platform from the faregates.  Unless a train is coming, calm the fuck down -- the whole escalator ride is 17 seconds.  You might save 4 seconds by yelling and passing by.  Now, the regular long escalators, that makes more sense.  Though a polite "excuse me" always works when I use it... [/b]
[/b]

« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2004, 11:33:00 am »
Different people have differing levels of patience, I guess.

I myself, want them out of the way, no matter the size of the escalator. I yell, but I yell, "Excuse me, please." Often they are so off in la-la land, you have to politely yell just to get their attention.

I'm not saying the tourists are right, but why throw a fit over that particular scenario?  If my point isn't logical to you, then we're at an impasse.  When I see this situation, to me it's locals being annoying "I live here, you don't, get outta my way" assholes.

Note my parameters, only the short escalator and no train coming.  It's not right and wrong, it's reasonable and shitty.

Seems like the tourists are the ones who are in the wrong, not the locals.

Or arrest the dumb fucks who stand on the left side of the escalator. Even when there's a fire in the station.
One of my pet peeves is locals who yell at tourists for standing to the left on those really short little escalators going down to the platform from the faregates.  Unless a train is coming, calm the fuck down -- the whole escalator ride is 17 seconds.  You might save 4 seconds by yelling and passing by.  Now, the regular long escalators, that makes more sense.  Though a polite "excuse me" always works when I use it... [/b]
[/b]
[/b]

Bags

« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2004, 11:34:00 am »
When I said metro, I was referring to the station, not the train.  She was on the escalator when the officer told her to "finish," insinuating he didn't consider her in the station yet.  Otherwise he would have stopped her at the bottom of the escalator, right?

I think there should be regular mouth checks instituted; I'll bet there are definitely commuters on those trains with specks of sausage and wheaties left in there EVERY SINGLE MORNING.  The chaos must be contained.

The signs say no eating on the train or WITHIN ANY PART OF THE METRO SYSTEM (this includes the station part before the turnstyle)

Originally posted by J'Mal:
  she got what she deserved.  she did it after being told not to by a cop, come on.  and then she talked back instead of just taking the ticket.

Wait -- by my reading, she did exactly what the officer told her.  She finished the bar (ie, threw any related trash away and had no food in her hands whatsoever) before entering the metro.  This is the issue -- the possible waste from food products, right?  What, the possibility that she might vomit is part of the equation?  Anyone could vomit anytime, whether they have food in their mouths or not.

She finished the candy bar for all intent and purposes.  She did NOT continue breaking the law, she did exactly as the officer asked her initially. [/b]
[/b]

bellenseb

« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2004, 11:36:00 am »
I have to wonder if the people defending the cops would support zero-tolerance jaywalking ticketing on empty side streets. I mean - it's against the law.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2004, 11:38:00 am »
Imaging descending the escalator every moring and Rhett there at the bottom doing mouth checks and making sure we all ride the escalator properely.

Rhett, were you a hall monitor in school?

Random Citizen

« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2004, 11:39:00 am »
Originally posted by bellenseb:
  I have to wonder if the people defending the cops would support zero-tolerance jaywalking ticketing on empty side streets. I mean - it's against the law.
Apples and peaches...the woman was given two warnings. She chose to talk back to the officer when she could have simply nodded her head, put the candy away and walked on. Sometimes, people need to know when it's appropriate to listen and not talk.

Bags

« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2004, 11:40:00 am »
  Often they are so off in la-la land, you have to politely yell just to get their attention.

They're on vacation & excited to be in the nation's capital, and are probably not expecting to be accosted using public transportation for a rule that is not universal.  It's DC, they're waiting to get shot or mugged, not reprimanded for standing on the wrong side of the escalator.

It's true, I'm very patient with things like this.  I think to myself that your life won't be better for yelling and adding 4 seconds to your wait on the platform.

Bags

« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2004, 11:42:00 am »
Originally posted by Random Citizen:

Originally posted by bellenseb:
 [qb] She chose to talk back to the officer when she could have simply nodded her head, put the candy away and walked on. Sometimes, people need to know when it's appropriate to listen and not talk. [/b]
She couldn't put the candy away, it was already gone (in her mouth).

Though I agree that mouthing off was hugely unwise.  Man, though, cops can send you over the edge, but you must keep it all inside and explode later with civilian friends...

« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2004, 11:42:00 am »
You prefer to think of it as 4 seconds out of our life, I prefer to think of it as depriving me of burning for calories... :)