Author Topic: Which Yankee Do You Hate The Most?  (Read 5656 times)

keithstg

Re: Which Yankee Do You Hate The Most?
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2004, 08:51:00 am »
Originally posted by hitman:
  right now, I hate the whole stinking team...that A-Rod move really let me down.  Yet wasn't there a rule that you couldn't block the baseline either.  Trust me, I'm not on the Yankees side tonight, that was just wrong.  But I thought there was a baseline rule.

First, let me say that I think that the interference call was probably the right one to make. But, how did A-Rod let you down, exactly? What he did was no different than barrelling over a catcher at home plate, or sliding into a second baseman to break up a double play. Arroyo shouldn't have tried to tag him with his glove, and if A-Rod wanted to knock the ball loose he could have tried to run him over, rather than take the guy's arm off. I don't see how that's "just wrong".

I'm heading up to NY for game 7 tonight. As much as I hate to say it, the Sox have really gutted it out to this point - and they have taken advantage of every Yankee mistake in the past few games. We'll see what happens tonight.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2004, 09:27:00 am »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:
  *SIGH*

we wont lose, but we can't win.  thats a little of how i feel right now.
Choke now, or choke later...what's the difference?

hitman

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2004, 09:30:00 am »
I don't care for, nor condone barrelling over a catcher at home plate or taking out a second baseman to break up a double play.  Never have like any of those things, no matter who was doing it, because the outcome can be career ending injury to the other person involved.  Take for example the catcher (I believe it was Fosse maybe) that Pete Rose ran over.  The guy was never the same again.  He never played again after that.

The A-Rod move was low class, and to sit their and argue otherwise was even worse.  It was a blatant last ditch move, that shouldn't have been resorted to.  He probably would've knocked the ball out in normal running stride, or he could have slid into the bag.  Instead he took the low road, and figured he would try and get something started since the offense was flat as hell.

Originally posted by keithstg:

right now, I hate the whole stinking team...that A-Rod move really let me down.  Yet wasn't there a rule that you couldn't block the baseline either.  Trust me, I'm not on the Yankees side tonight, that was just wrong.  But I thought there was a baseline rule.

First, let me say that I think that the interference call was probably the right one to make. But, how did A-Rod let you down, exactly? What he did was no different than barrelling over a catcher at home plate, or sliding into a second baseman to break up a double play. Arroyo shouldn't have tried to tag him with his glove, and if A-Rod wanted to knock the ball loose he could have tried to run him over, rather than take the guy's arm off. I don't see how that's "just wrong".

I'm heading up to NY for game 7 tonight. As much as I hate to say it, the Sox have really gutted it out to this point - and they have taken advantage of every Yankee mistake in the past few games. We'll see what happens tonight. [/b]

Venerable Bede

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2004, 09:52:00 am »
  I don't care for, nor condone barrelling over a catcher at home plate or taking out a second baseman to break up a double play.  Never have like any of those things, no matter who was doing it, because the outcome can be career ending injury to the other person involved.  Take for example the catcher (I believe it was Schalk maybe) that Pete Rose ran over.  The guy was never the same again.  He never played again after that.
oh, i think taking out the ss or 2b to break up a double play, or running over the catcher is fine.  that slap reminded me of the robert fick play last year against the cubs. . .just with a little girl slap instead of a forearm to the head.  and pete rose ran over ray fosse. . in an all-star game (which isn't right, i agree in that regard).  fosse played for a few more years, but you're right, he wasn't the same.. . i blame pete rose for being the jerk that he is for that though.   :)

mankie, you and my family have alot in common, they hate yankees too. . .down there, it's called the war of northern agression.
OU812

keithstg

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2004, 10:22:00 am »
 [QB] I don't care for, nor condone barrelling over a catcher at home plate or taking out a second baseman to break up a double play.  Never have like any of those things, no matter who was doing it, because the outcome can be career ending injury to the other person involved.  Take for example the catcher (I believe it was Fosse maybe) that Pete Rose ran over.  The guy was never the same again.  He never played again after that.

First of all, Fosse played for several seasons after Rose barrelled him over, which was in an All-Star game, and therefore in a totally different category. In fact, Fosse hit over .300 six years removed from the incident, although I do not think that what Rose did was right (in an All-Star Game). Danny Darwin suffered a career ending injury just throwing a pitch. Mantle suffered a career hurting injury stepping into a drain pipe. Players are paid outrageously high salaries for a very iffy timeframe due to the risks inherent in their chosen profession. The point is, you never know in sports. Barreling into a catcher and breaking up a double play are part of the game, and well within the rules. Not accepting that seems like a very "emo" way to look at baseball in general and sports in particular.

sonickteam2

« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2004, 10:57:00 am »
on my way home from work this afternoon, i am going to stop by the hospital and pick up a straitjacket and some of those heart defibrillators.

i cant even watch the TV with both eyes open anymore, i have this one eye half shut look and my girl has to constantly remind me to breathe.

ratioci nation

« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2004, 11:00:00 am »
  on my way home from work this afternoon, i am going to stop by the hospital and pick up a straitjacket and some of those heart defibrillators.

i cant even watch the TV with both eyes open anymore, i have this one eye half shut look and my girl has to constantly remind me to breathe.
could you get me some tissues, and maybe some comics to cheer me up, thanks

« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2004, 11:02:00 am »
Too bad your girl is there to remind you.
   :D  

sonickteam2

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2004, 11:04:00 am »
Originally posted by pollard:
 could you get me some tissues, and maybe some comics to cheer me up, thanks
do you want to borrow my Roger Clemens voodoo doll?

ratioci nation

« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2004, 11:06:00 am »
If they make it through today's game.  Do you have a Pete Munro voodoo doll? Or better yet, a Lance Berkman/Carlos Beltran doll?

Venerable Bede

« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2004, 11:19:00 am »
Originally posted by pollard:

If they make it through today's game.  Do you have a Pete Munro voodoo doll? Or better yet, a Lance Berkman/Carlos Beltran doll? [/b]
maybe you could ask jeffrey leonard to put a curse on beltran for breaking his record, which was also set against the cardinals.  one flap down!!!
OU812