Author Topic: 30 years ago, one movie changed everything  (Read 2961 times)

vansmack

Re: 30 years ago, one movie changed everything
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2007, 01:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:
  I remember seeing this SO well.  I had just turned 10, my sister was 6.  My Dad took us.  We were at the mall before the movies, and in a department store a sales woman was talking to us and my Dad said we were going to see Star Wars.  The sales woman told me how exciting that was, wasn't I excited?  And I retorted, kind of pouting and stomping my feet a little, "I don't want to go, I don't like war movies.  It's a Dad movie."

Of course I adored it, saw it several times (which I think was less usual back then), and was at the midnight show on the opening Wednesday night for Return of the Jedi.
Simliar situation.  Drive-in double feature (remember those days?!!?) where the kids were supposed to go to sleep in the back of the station wagon while the parents enjoyed two movies - Close Encounters and Star Wars.  I didn't sleep at all for Star Wars and was so excited afterwards that I watched a lot of Close Encounters too.  Of course, Close Encounters gave this 5 year old nightmares, but I was a Jedi in training from that day forward.

Never missed an opeing day showing for a Star Wars movie after that, including watching Empire and Jedi at Mann's Chinese Hollywood with the characters walking the lines entertaining the kids.
27>34