Author Topic: Clap Your Hands and Say Yeah, they're a young band that  (Read 5912 times)

Re: Clap Your Hands and Say Yeah, they're a young band that
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2005, 03:14:00 pm »
Couldn't you say the same thing about Arcade Fire, Stellastarr, and a half dozen other bands mimicking that sound?

I don't think anything released by the Talking Heads comes close to "greatest records of all time" status. And neither will any of the records of their copiers.

Originally posted by allmy$to930:
  This should start an uproar.

If the CYHSY album was released by Talking Heads back in their prime it would be considered one of the greatest records of all time.

amnesiac

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2005, 03:23:00 pm »
It's pretty amazing how big (relatively speaking) they've gotten, considering the album is self produced, self released, and not a dime was spent on PR...

Tom Servo

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2005, 04:28:00 pm »
Well, I never would have thought of myself as a complete novice when it comes to judging recording quality, but I just don't hear the "shoddy inferior" production.  What specifically are the deficiencies?  I mean, it's not like it's an unmastered disc where every track is at a different volume.  Raw, perhaps.  Not Strokes-like overproduction, certainly.  But shoddy?

ccfalzon

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2005, 05:31:00 pm »
Overproduction blah blah underproduction blah blah. So what if the Strokes are "overproduced." Their studio work is as good as any of the handful of the top bands from the past five years. They also happen to be amazing live. Crap Your Hands isn't even in the conversation. In fact, they should have gone ahead and just refunded everybody's money or promised to take some music lessons. "Childlike whimsy" is one thing, but amateurish and condescending is a totally different story.

Besides, the most depressing thing about their performance was that they weren't Fiona Apple. Listening to her latest gives me the same feeling that I got when "OK Computer" came out all those years ago. Everything else pales by comparison.  :D

eltee

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2005, 05:44:00 pm »
Shoddy is too harsh -- I picked a word and went w/ it because, it's a little shakey.
 It's not raw, (the way I think of raw) or underproduced. It's a bit static-y at times (unclear) and the vocals are far away in other spots. Demo is the word.

Bags

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2005, 01:06:00 pm »
- edit -  Image's not working...

thirsty moore

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2005, 01:42:00 pm »
Actually, this is a great description of Clap Your Hands Say Yeah.  I am not impressed with that band at all.

Originally posted by Bags:
  - edit -  Image's not working...

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2005, 07:21:00 pm »
just bought the album this weekend ... there are some really good tracks ... the "you look like david bowie" song is great, that line and the way he says it keeps running through my head ... but yeah, not earth-shattering at all
(o|o)

K8teebug

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2005, 09:45:00 am »
I saw them last week at the 8x10 and thought they were fantastic the whole way through.  I love their album.

yinzer

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2005, 10:41:00 am »
The band themselves have said they're not very good live, so I wasn't really expecting much, and left the Black Cat pleasantly surprised.  

bad bands sound worse live, and good bands sound better live.  any band that admits to "not being very good live" is probably shite by my definition.  i mean really, how many bands do you like that sound worse live than their album?  the album is being described in this thread as demo-like for chrissakes.

Lazer Guided Melodies

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2005, 03:15:00 pm »
OK Computer wasn't even the best album of 1997.

Barcelona

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2005, 03:21:00 pm »
Just listening to them now, fantastic album! Great songs such as The skin of my yellow country teeth. Not sure why, but I really like the fact that so many people dislike them.

ccfalzon

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2005, 04:46:00 pm »
Lazer, I'm assuming that wasn't a rhetorical comment. Please tell me who, other than Radiohead, delivered the best album of 1997. If it isn't Bjork, then I know you either a) are lying, or b) were in middle school.

BookerT

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2005, 04:52:00 pm »
the strokes, radiohead, bjork, fiona apple ... you've just got it all figured out, frenchpiece.

ggw

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2005, 04:55:00 pm »
Best albums of 1997:

Sleater-Kinney -- Dig Me Out

Followed closely by Bob Dylan's Time Out of Mind.  Maybe Cornershop in third.