Author Topic: PJ Harvey Roll Call  (Read 4252 times)

rthomas

Re: PJ Harvey Roll Call
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2004, 03:00:00 pm »
can't wait.

palahniukkubrick

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2004, 03:21:00 pm »
Can't make it. I'll be expecting a full report from someone, however.

DrOwnage

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2004, 04:32:00 pm »
I'll be there.

uck-F the 6pm doors.  Make this a late show, dammit.

brennser

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2004, 10:13:00 pm »
wow - really, really good show

there are some bands/artists who sounds better on CD than live, then there are some that only make sense when you see them live - I've always liked, not loved, PJ Harvey, but damn if she didn't blow me away tonight - that voice, that voice

fabulous! and the crowd was waay into it - I'll leave it to others for setlists and details - suffice to say I recognized about 70% of the songs (I have her first and most recent two albums) and liked everything I didn't know

PigIron

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2004, 10:16:00 pm »
Great show.  New songs much, much better live than on record.  She has a great voice too - I'd never seen her live until tonight.  Very good mix of old songs and new.

Random Citizen

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2004, 10:22:00 pm »
Agree...PJ was wonderful. Her voice was so on tonight.

Unfortunately, so were the people standing around me. They talked through every fuckin' song. I kept thinking, "Why are you here?!?" So I probably didn't get into the show as much as I could have because of those dumb fucks. But it was a great set. There were a couple of folks near me who flew up from Florida to see her and they loved the show.  :)

Darth Ed

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2004, 10:56:00 pm »
Well, I guess I'll be the dissenter then. This was one of the most disappointing concerts of the year, and I go to ~50 concerts per year. The audience was the most anemic I've experienced at the 9:30 Club in quite some time. They could barely get enough energy to applaud at the end of the concert. Pathetic. The only time the audience got animated was when PJ came back out on stage for the second and final encore. I put part of the blame on it being an early show on a weekday, but I must say that I thought PJ's performance was lacking energy and passion. Her voice was excellent and the band played very nicely, but there was something missing. Part of it is the material. Her most recent album (which I like quite a bit actually) doesn't quite have the same raw energy as her early albums, but she seemed almost too rehearsed and was more concerned over her levels than actually performing through most of the first set. The concert finally started to get good with the last song of the main set. The first encore rocked and was quite good. The second encore was uninspired.

bearman🐻

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2004, 11:10:00 pm »
I got the sense that the audience was pretty lame as well, but I was right up front, dead center and everyone around me was very animated and into it. Enraptured might be a good word. I thought the whole show rocked like a mofo, esp. the road warrior bassist. As far as the new material not being up to previous stuff, I disagree there. "Who the Fuck?" was pure venom, and "The Darker Days of Me and Him" was great...very intense I thought. All in all, I enjoyed this concert very much but sometimes you have to factor in where one stands, who is around you, what the sound is like in a particular spot, etc. Luckily, I was able to enjoy the show on all levels. Here's the setlist, which I was able to snag  :)

Fountain (amazing opener I thought)
 50ft Queenie
 Who the Fuck?
 Dress
 Evol
 Victory
 My Beautiful Leah
 A Perfect Day Elise
 It's You
 Good Fortune
 The Whores Hustle and the Hustlers Whore (brilliant)
 Cat on the Wall
 Uh Huh Her
 The Letter
 Me-Jane
 -----------------------------
 I Think I'm a Mother
 Reeling
 Meet Ze Monsta
 Big Exit
 -----------------------------
 The Darker Days of Me and Him

Random Citizen

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2004, 11:11:00 pm »
And PJ was wearing her yellow 50-ft Queenie dress tonight.

Darth Ed

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2004, 11:20:00 pm »
Maybe the concert would have been better if I had been up front. I saw a couple people up there that seemed to be enjoying it. For what it's worth, I was a quarter to a third of the way back from the stage, dead center, and I didn't see this venom of which you speak. I suspect I was pretty close to where Random Citizen was actually... The sound was impeccable tonight, I thought. No complaints there.

bearman🐻

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2004, 11:23:00 pm »
I have a feeling you're right there...generally speaking when you're right up front you can ignore the audience...it seemed like Polly was having a good time overall, but then again, so was I  :)

brennser

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2004, 11:27:00 pm »
were you just to the left of the sounddesk? I was there as well - the people from Florida were very chatty but were kinda funny as well

Originally posted by Random Citizen:

Unfortunately, so were the people standing around me. They talked through every fuckin' song. I kept thinking, "Why are you here?!?" So I probably didn't get into the show as much as I could have because of those dumb fucks. But it was a great set. There were a couple of folks near me who flew up from Florida to see her and they loved the show.   :)  

Random Citizen

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2004, 11:32:00 pm »
Originally posted by brennser:
  were you just to the left of the sounddesk? I was there as well - the people from Florida were very chatty but were kinda funny as well

Yep, I was standing next to them. I guess I didn't mind their chattiness because they were really into the show. The other folks were just annoying.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2004, 10:05:00 am »
Originally posted by Random Citizen:
  And PJ was wearing her yellow 50-ft Queenie dress tonight.
From where we were standing, we couldn't tell if this was a pic of the Virgin Mary or Rosie O'Donnell.

Guiny

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2004, 10:09:00 am »
I enjoyed the show and I was at the front of the bar close to the stage. I thought the audience was lame but I wasn't exactly jumping up and down either. I was just sittin back, sippin' on some captain and cokes and enjoying the show. I could see her every time she comes to town.