Author Topic: Canyon finished?  (Read 1572 times)

helicon1

Canyon finished?
« on: July 31, 2004, 12:13:00 am »
Just saw in City Paper that Brandon Butler (formerly of Canyon) is playing at Iota. I didn't realize they were broken up. Anyone know the story? Thanks.

Ikarus

Re: Canyon finished?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2004, 05:53:00 am »
the way i heard it, joe kicked brandon out of the the band, even though brandon wrote all of the songs.  anyway, this was like four months ago...   basicaly, canyon [minus brandon butler] is gonna be jay ferrar's back-up band while BB does solo stuff on his own around town.

goddamn shame since canyon was the best of the locals.  but BB is still doing plentiful gigs around town w/ his cellist gf.  

every time i hear 'other shore' i think about what might have been...if you haven't been around for a BB "present time" then you haven't been around....

Ikarus

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2004, 06:10:00 am »
ps, i'm gonna hafta let brandon know that my 666th post was about him.    rawkus!

Relaxer

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2004, 01:41:00 pm »
I also read that, and was very disappointed. Brandon was the focal point of an EXCELLENT band, both live and on record (well, 'Empty Rooms' anyway) and it's too bad they've parted ways (for now). My hope is they'll come to their senses and kiss'n'make up. I think they beat every other local band here, and most other bands period.
oword

snailhook

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2004, 07:11:00 pm »
to clarify, since i know brandon and joe fairly well and have recently spoken to both:

brandon is on the road with jay farrar, not the other canyon guys.

brandon's "cellist gf" is amy dominguez, cellist extraordinaire, who has her own band, garland of hours, and plays with dozens of locals, including BB.

the rest of canyon are currently working on new material and will not be calling themselves canyon.

canyon will NOT be getting back together. i can't say this with any certainty, but this is my gut feeling, as there is some strong animosity between them. it all sucks, because BB and joe had been friends for years, and something got fucked up. shit happens.