Author Topic: Death Cab Roll Call  (Read 11517 times)

ratioci nation

Re: Death Cab Roll Call
« Reply #75 on: October 25, 2005, 04:05:00 pm »
Originally posted by han:
  DCFC is one of the few bands that sound truely great live.

i have had the exact opposite experience, I gave up on them after 3 or 4 tries live

thegazelle

« Reply #76 on: October 25, 2005, 04:07:00 pm »
The people who mentioned that the sound was really good at the Sunday show were right. I can't believe how great it sounded, even from way in the back. It was loud, but not bleeding-ears loud and everything sounded crisp. Nice change of pace considering my ears are still not right after the Bob Mould show, which was one of the loudest I've heard in a while.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #77 on: October 25, 2005, 04:10:00 pm »
Originally posted by thegazelle:
   I can't believe how great it sounded, even from way in the back.  
Shouldn't it sound the best closest to the soundbooth? I'm seriously asking.

Sage 703

« Reply #78 on: October 26, 2005, 01:23:00 pm »
Originally posted by thegazelle:
  The people who mentioned that the sound was really good at the Sunday show were right. I can't believe how great it sounded, even from way in the back. It was loud, but not bleeding-ears loud and everything sounded crisp. Nice change of pace considering my ears are still not right after the Bob Mould show, which was one of the loudest I've heard in a while.
I think a large part of this is that Death Cab tours with their own sound engineer - they even named their tour EP after him - John Byrd.  Very nice guy who really knows what he's doing - he also plays some keyboards from the booth in certain parts.

brennser

« Reply #79 on: October 26, 2005, 01:50:00 pm »
yeah, they bored me on Sun night

the 'sound' was great, but the overall live experience was 'eh'

Originally posted by pdx pollard:

i have had the exact opposite experience, I gave up on them after 3 or 4 tries live [/b]

ggw

« Reply #80 on: October 26, 2005, 01:59:00 pm »
Originally posted by brennser:

Originally posted by pdx pollard:

i have had the exact opposite experience, I gave up on them after 3 or 4 tries live [/b]
[/b]
I've seen them twice and I agree with the sentiments above.  They aren't "bad" live, just kind of blah.

beedubyah

« Reply #81 on: October 26, 2005, 02:04:00 pm »
They aren't "bad" live, just kind of blah.
My sentiments exactly.

Bags

« Reply #82 on: October 26, 2005, 02:39:00 pm »
It was interesting seeing Death Cab and Social Distortion within just a couple days.  The Death Cab show was well done, the sound was great, the musicianship was all there and the band did a fine job.  Energetic or inspiring show, no.  Was I moved to listen to DCFC albums for the next coupla days?  No.

Social Distortion's coming from a different place.  It was rougher, not the most amazing show technically, but it was raw emotion and an energetic good time.  Definitely more fun, and I'm listening to Social D and Burning Brides (don't ask me why) in the car -- should last about a week.

If I had to choose, I'd see Social D again.

LME20052

« Reply #83 on: October 27, 2005, 10:38:00 am »
Originally posted by brennser:

I would agree, and the thing that frustrates me is that I can't figure out why it was 'meh'.

Does anybody have the stars setlist from sunday night?

brennser

« Reply #84 on: October 27, 2005, 11:05:00 am »
I'm listening to Burning Brides (don't ask me why)
Maybe because they FUCKING ROCK!!! ?

Bags

« Reply #85 on: October 27, 2005, 05:17:00 pm »
So, listening to the NPR broadcast of the Monday Death Cab show.  They sound not good...  There must be something the live show brings, because I thought they were better than this while I was there.  Listening to this broadcast they sound kinda...shitty.

eilo97

« Reply #86 on: October 27, 2005, 07:32:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:
  So, listening to the NPR broadcast of the Monday Death Cab show.  They sound not good...  There must be something the live show brings, because I thought they were better than this while I was there.  Listening to this broadcast they sound kinda...shitty.
i felt the same way when i listened- i went to the sunday show.  ben's voice doesn't sound that great on the webcast and the whole mix just seems kind of off.

amnesiac

« Reply #87 on: October 27, 2005, 10:03:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:
I went to the Sunday show and listened to some of the live broadcast on Monday, and thought the same thing. I thought they sounded great on Sunday. Maybe they were just better Sunday night. Did you to both shows?

ggw

« Reply #88 on: November 14, 2005, 10:57:00 am »
San Francisco Chronicle: Is Death Cab for Cutie on a mission to make lite rock cool again?

Ben Gibbard: What's really at the core of what we're doing right now is to try to bring back that smooth, early- to mid-'70s soft-rock style that was all over radio.

brennser

« Reply #89 on: November 28, 2005, 12:51:00 pm »
-