Author Topic: Music Survey about DC  (Read 24723 times)

  • Guest
Re: Music Survey about DC
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2004, 02:02:00 pm »
Markie, you're so kewl.  When I grow up...I wanna be just like you!  I sleep with your picture underneath my pillow.

Bags

  • Member
  • Posts: 8540
Re: Music Survey about DC
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2004, 02:03:00 pm »
Yeah, Mark, I think the iPod has obviated my need or interest in satellite radio.  For my car, I'm in good shape.  I listen to spinner and internet stations at work because I have a PC and can't hook up the ole pod here at work, which REALLY bums me out sometimes.
 
 So how the hell does Pollard find/discover/listen to so much new stuff?

ratioci nation

  • Member
  • Posts: 4463
Re: Music Survey about DC
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2004, 02:11:00 pm »
I thought everybody knew that I am a pitchfork whore

markie

  • Member
  • Posts: 13178
Re: Music Survey about DC
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2004, 02:15:00 pm »
Quote
Originally posted by Bags:
   I have a PC and can't hook up the ole pod here at work, which REALLY bums me out sometimes.
 
 
If your PC has external speakers, unplug them from your PC and then plug into the ipod. If you dont have externals. Spend $100 on a pair and then just switch between the PC and ipod. You will be glad you did.

ggw

  • Member
  • Posts: 14237
Re: Music Survey about DC
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2004, 02:17:00 pm »
Quote
Originally posted by Bags:
 So how the hell does Pollard find/discover/listen to so much new stuff?
It's a liitle-known fact, but Pollard works for the RIAA in their stealth-marketing program. Passing himself off as "the cool music guy" he undertakes a viral strategy in which he attains the alpha-male position among various music-related chatroom packs and then pimps his employers product to the clueless sheeple.

ratioci nation

  • Member
  • Posts: 4463
Re: Music Survey about DC
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2004, 02:20:00 pm »
Quote
Originally posted by ggw?:
  It's a liitle-known fact, but Pollard works for the RIAA in their stealth-marketing program. Passing himself off as "the cool music guy" he undertakes a viral strategy in which he attains the alpha-male position among various music-related chatroom packs and then pimps his employers product to the clueless sheeple.
looks like I will have to be moving along to the WOXY board now that my cover has been blown here

kosmo vinyl

  • Administrator
  • Member
  • Posts: 14675
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: Music Survey about DC
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2004, 02:28:00 pm »
Quote
Originally posted by mark e smith:
  I find that putting my ipod on random and plugging it into the auxillary socket in the car a pretty good way to go. No annoying adverts or Djs and guaranteed hits of the 80s every single song.
 
 Its not a good way of discovering new music, but that is what WOXY, POLLARD and support slots are for.
it's a shame that itunes can't be used like napster... i'd pay $10 a month for that   :p
T.Rex

markie

  • Member
  • Posts: 13178
Re: Music Survey about DC
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2004, 02:37:00 pm »
Quote
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
   i'd pay $10 a month for that    :p  
So would I. But, apparently, as napster is not making money we would be in the minority.

redsock

  • Member
  • Posts: 1891
Re: Music Survey about DC
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2004, 03:40:00 pm »
Quote
Originally posted by Bags:
   
Quote
Originally posted by bellenseb:
  Spinner online has a dozen indie-oriented stations alone. It's almost too much choice, and it's great.
 
 XM has some appeal, but from what I can tell there's only one "alternative" station. So, I'm not too likely to pony up for it.
 
Exactly my worry.....
 
 There appear to be three stations I'd listen to regularly, and Lucy and Fred both play stuff I own:
 
 54  Lucy, Classic Alt Hits
 43  XMU, New Music
 44  Fred, Classic Alternative
 
 I'm sure I'd occasionally listen to some talk or some acoustic, American standards, lounge, classical...but I'm not sure it's worth paying for.
 
 Redsock, I'm curious to hear what you love about it and if you listen to many stations or found a couple that are just right for you. [/b]
Well XMU is super duper. I hear new stuff I love on it all the time. I've recently discovered +/-, Snow Patrol, Los Halos, The Swords Project and others.
 Ethyl and Lucy play alt hits, but they range from Nirvanna and STP to Postal Service and D-Plan. You get the occasional bad song, but most of it is good.
 Fred is cool, for the older stuff, but they tend to play more obscure, at least to me. There is a different New Order song on all the time, and I don't know if I'd recognize a one of them. Thats 4 of my 20 programmed.
 I have BPM and The System, cause I like to dance in my car. 80's and 90's, though 90's plays all shit and is in danger of being dropped off my favorites(how many times can you listen to Keith Sweat?). MTV radio for shits and giggles. U-pop for hits from around the world (lots of TATU and Mel C.)Fungus for punk, Music Lab for my Peter Gabriel fix, 20 on 20 so I stay hip with all the kids, a couple hard rock stations for the random Def Leppard song. Maybe a random other station or 2. I prolly listen to no more than 7 or 8 on a regular basis. But I LOVE it!!

cbro

  • Guest
Re: Music Survey about DC
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2004, 10:10:00 pm »
thanks to anyone that took the survey.  
 
 I love how most conversations that I have about music here in DC starts with how much radio sucks then quickly turns into a lovefest for the ipod or XM.
 
 I love my ipod and don't have as much of a desire for XM now.
 
 If you haven't taken the survey it only takes about 4-5 minutes tops.  Go to dcmusicsurvey.com
 
 Thanks
 cbro

  • Guest
Re: Music Survey about DC
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2004, 11:05:00 pm »
Quote
Originally posted by cbro:
  thanks to anyone that took the survey.  
 
 I love how most conversations that I have about music here in DC starts with how much radio sucks then quickly turns into a lovefest for the ipod or XM.
 
 I love my ipod and don't have as much of a desire for XM now.
 
 If you haven't taken the survey it only takes about 4-5 minutes tops.  Go to dcmusicsurvey.com
 
 Thanks
 cbro
What about my Stephen Hawking suggestion?  Good idea, or not?

cbro

  • Guest
Re: Music Survey about DC
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2004, 10:42:00 am »
I like the idea but almost every station already uses it.  It is called Voice Tracking.  There is no dj there.  It is all run by a computer.  You simply record your voice before your "shift" and tell the computer when to play it.  You could do this days in advance if you wanted.
 
 You can thank CC for that one but if they wouldn't have done it someone else would have.
 
 there was a good article on the wasteland of radio in the latest issue of Tracks.
 
 Peace Off
 Bro

  • Guest
Re: Music Survey about DC
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2004, 10:49:00 am »
You missed my point, I already know all about Robo-Jock.  I just want to do away with the voice altogether.  I want a 100% artificial voice, sort of like Ned from Colorado.  I'd buy that for a dollar!

nkotb

  • Member
  • Posts: 5967
Re: Music Survey about DC
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2004, 10:54:00 am »
Actually, I think that would be a great idea.  I'm surprised it hasn't been done before, to be honest.  Seems to me that independant radio or college radio would've used this technique to further distinguish themselves from corporate radio.  Regardless, I don't know what I hate about FM radio more: the playlists or the DJs.  It's a tough call.
 
 
Quote
Originally posted by Dupek Chopra:
   
Quote
Originally posted by cbro:
  thanks to anyone that took the survey.  
 
 I love how most conversations that I have about music here in DC starts with how much radio sucks then quickly turns into a lovefest for the ipod or XM.
 
 I love my ipod and don't have as much of a desire for XM now.
 
 If you haven't taken the survey it only takes about 4-5 minutes tops.  Go to dcmusicsurvey.com
 
 Thanks
 cbro
What about my Stephen Hawking suggestion?  Good idea, or not? [/b]

cbro

  • Guest
Re: Music Survey about DC
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2004, 10:55:00 am »
would you still want info about the band and the music or just a joke between songs?