Author Topic: Genesis Reunion Tour  (Read 1977 times)

TimCooke

Genesis Reunion Tour
« on: March 13, 2007, 11:54:00 am »
I thought it might be fun to see the Genesis Reunion Tour this summer/Fall...as long as they don't go into Phil Collins' Disney's Greatest Hits Package.

So I get the sale info and try to find a Presale password.  Then, much to my amazement, I look at the Ticket Prices.  $180 for the best seats.  $130 for Club Level and back.  $80 for uppers?

I was thinking this might be a $75 ticket show.  Maybe if they threw in Peter Gabriel into the mix, I'd pay the $130.  

Definitely not going to see the band at these prices and can't imagine a ton of people will.  Hopefully I can get some good half-price seats on the day of show from Craigslist.

sonickteam2

Re: Genesis Reunion Tour
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 12:13:00 pm »
i'd pay $500 to see em with Gabriel.

did they really do anything worth a shit after Gabriel left anyway?

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 12:13:00 pm »
Actually the top ticket price is $230.

sonickteam2

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 12:19:00 pm »
so wait, who is it?  phil collins, and who else? rutherford and banks? or hackett as well?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 12:25:00 pm »
didn't Gabriel tank attendance wise on his last tour?   i saw the neutered Genesis back in the day and it wasn't anything spectacular, just a bunch of arty pop songs performed nicely.  they had a second drummer as collins primarily played piano and on occasion drums.  he was knowing for doing "Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" in like 15 seconds.  and yikes i had little interest in this tour when it was announced and none now...  i'd rather see the king crimson (fripp,belew,levin,bruford) of that period reunite..
T.Rex

edbert

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 12:32:00 pm »
I'd rather see Gentle Giant reunite.. they were so much fun live.
 As for Genesis, Gabriel has become such a depressed old curmudgeon that he might as well sit at home. I saw him on Tavis Smiley recently and it was like he'd crawled out from under a rock to sit there and whine about Africa
 Steve Hackett still does some good stuff though.  Anyone coulda walked into the Hackett gig at State Theater last year for like $15 and watched him from 20 feet away.  The place was half-empty but it was probably better music than you'd get from the rest of the group in an arena

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 01:13:00 pm »
Phil Collins - Genesis .....unless this tour includes Peter Gabriel it's a Phil Collins tour, and will draw Collins fans, not Genesis fans. Evidently Gabriel was all for it but couldn't tour till next year but they went ahead without him anyway, which tells you something right there.

I saw Phil Collins on a 9,000,000" (diagonal) HDTV in Best Buy the other weekend. Definately worth a $19.99 DVD but not a $200 ticket

Sir HC

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 01:24:00 pm »
Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your asshole. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

TheDirector217

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 02:33:00 pm »
Originally posted by le sonick:
  i'd pay $500 to see em with Gabriel.

did they really do anything worth a shit after Gabriel left anyway?
The avant garde/art rock angle they were on the 70s is most def to be appreciated, but I beg to differ homey.  And while I concede a certain level of "cheese" to some of their songs, Genesis made great shit in the 80s.  "Land Of Confusion" & "Misunderstanding" are two of the better pop songs outta the 80s.  On a personal note, I think "Jesus, He Knows Me" is nothing short of genius.  Another unknown fact is Phil Collins is one of the better drummers out there.  If I find a floor seat below face (And I'm sure I will) I'm in the building.  

"Cause Jesus, He knows me/
 And he knows I'm riiiiight/
 I been talking to Jesus/
 Allllll Myyyy Liiiiife/"

I feel a "fuck with the general public minds" ringtone change coming on . . . . .

P.S. And yes, while I fucks with Phil Collins, there is no room for argument that that Disney shit he produced is UN.  FOR.  GIVABLE.  My convenient amnesia won't let me recall he produced that gar-baj.    :(

Sir HC

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2007, 03:36:00 pm »
My brother went to high school with the son of the guy who would drum for them so Phil could sing.  He was a local dude.

TimCooke

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 02:58:00 pm »
Just went onto Ticketmaster 5 hours after it was opened to the public.  Floor seats still available.

I'll be looking forward to seeing this half price in September!

Summerteeth

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007, 03:17:00 pm »
It was only a matter of time until the American Psycho reference surfaced.

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2007, 03:22:00 pm »
I can't some of you people actually like this band.   :eek:

Sir HC

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2007, 03:53:00 pm »
Originally posted by You go, Judge Alito:
  It was only a matter of time until the American Psycho reference surfaced.
Thank you, thank you, I always have that on IMDB when it is needed.

redsock

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2007, 04:09:00 pm »
Originally posted by Sir HC:
  Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your asshole. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.
Who let Brett Easton Ellis in here?