Author Topic: Ramones movie  (Read 2028 times)

Bombay Chutney

Ramones movie
« on: August 10, 2004, 10:42:00 am »
Pitchfork article

Ramones Documentary to Premiere in New York
 Joey Ramone Place sadly populated mostly by stockbrokers

James Gregory reports:
 The long brutal history of punk pioneers the Ramones has recently been given the celluloid treatment with End of the Century: The Story of the Ramones. Set for an August 20th release in New York, the feature-length documentary chronicles the Ramones' 1974 birth in the dank depths of the New York Bowery and follows their tumultuous 22-year career up trough the obligatory farewell concert in 1996. Highlights of the film include the internal struggles that marred the three-chord godfathers throughout their punk odyssey-- namely fame, drugs, alcohol, stolen girlfriends, differences in musical direction, constantly elusive chart success, and a gonzo-crazy Phil Spector producing the band at gunpoint.

Of the original members, only two-- guitarist Johnny and drummer Tommy-- are still with us; vocalist Joey succumbed to lymphatic cancer in 2000, while bassist Dee Dee died of a drug overdose in 2002. Of the remaining Ramones, Johnny is presently suffering from prostate cancer, which had him hospitalized in June from complications. According to Rolling Stone, the ailing guitarist has seen the film and says of the results: "It's a very dark movie. It's accurate. It left me disturbed as I was watching it. I'm basically portrayed as a tyrannical monster, Dee Dee is on drugs, and Joey is an alcoholic and a drug addict at various times." Fuck Shrek, this'll give the schoolkids something to talk about in September.

End of the Century release dates/theaters:
 08-20 Manhattan, NY - Angelika Film Center
 08-27 Cinemas Berkeley, CA - Landmark Act 1&2
 08-27 San Francisco, CA - Landmark Lumiere 3
 09-03 Cambridge, MA - Landmark Kendall Square
 09-10 Los Angeles, CA - Landmark Nuart Theater
 09-17 Washington, DC - Landmark E-Street Cinema
 10-08 Denver, CO - Starz Film Center
 10-29 Seattle, WA - Landmark Varsity Theater

In other Ramones news, British label Captain Oi! Records has reissued the band's last four studio albums, Brain Drain, Mondo Bizarro, Acid Eaters, and Adios Amigos!. Each disc comes in a slipcase and features liner notes by former road manager Monte Melnick, as well as a bonus track taken from the same era.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
Re: Ramones movie
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2004, 10:45:00 am »
Wow...I can't wait for this.  I love them Ramones.  Just listened to Road to Ruin yesterday, my personal fave.

edbert

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2004, 10:54:00 am »
This looks like something different from the Ramones DVD that is coming out in September...    Here's the article in Billboard about the DVD

chaz

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2004, 11:46:00 am »
Now if that MC5 documentary would see the light of day i'd be really happy.  A friend of mine saw it at a film fest in SF and said it was amazing.

pepper*sans*salt

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2004, 11:50:00 am »
The Ramones are awesome. One of my all time favorite bands. Now I'll have a movie to see them in besides Rock n Roll High School. I'm sure this flick will be more realistic.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2004, 11:54:00 am »
Originally posted by chaz:
  Now if that MC5 documentary would see the light of day i'd be really happy.  A friend of mine saw it at a film fest in SF and said it was amazing.
I think this came to AFI a couple months ago.

chaz

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2004, 11:58:00 am »
Originally posted by Bombay Chutney:

Originally posted by chaz:
I think this came to AFI a couple months ago. [/b]
Yeah I think you're right...but since it's initial festival rounds it's gotten mired down in legal red tape with no immediate plans for a widespread release.